Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do You Want MLP to Address More Serious Issues? Which? How?

Queen Cassie

Or living for a really long time, for those inclined.

I dunno, I was just thinking about how three of the main characters (Spike, Celestia, and Luna) are immortal, and all the depressing stuff that entails.

I talked about my head canon in another thread about how Celestia has stayed alive with age spells so that she can continue protecting her kingdom, but would it be more interesting if she and Luna were truly immortal or long lived?

And would we want to talk about immortality, or is that too bleak and close to Adventure Time levels of sadness?

All I'm saying is that Spike has to be wondering this as he grows up.

Well spike actually isn't immortal, it's mentioned in the show I think( not totally sure) that dragons live for thousands of years. But aren't immortal, and I'm not 100% sure on celestia and Luna being immortal without proof, however if any of the shows alicorns are it would just be them.

As for touching on the subject, maybe as long as they don't mention death or anything really, however that's hard to do really since you can imply death along the line mentioning immortality.

It may never been touched on and forever remain a mystery really. We don't know for sure.

I personally kinda wish theyd do a bit of an explanation on it, but with their rating cap they may not.

• Brohoof 2

Is Spike immortal though? I believe that much of this comes from that dragon in Dragonshy taking something like a hundred-year rest, if I remember correctly. Spike's specific subspecies of dragon may be different, as the show has been fairly clear about showing that he's pretty unusual compared to other dragons.

As for touching on immortality, I think it could be extremely interesting. Not entirely how they'd do it, and I doubt they will. For someone to live forever, you have to somewhat touch on the fact that most people don't, and so far the show's been pretty good at glossing over such subjects.

• Brohoof 2

Well I don't think Spike is immortal. To what it seems, dragons just live for a very long time and may eventually die.

Also I'm not sure if Celestia use's an aging spell to keep herself young. I just think it would take a lot of magic to maintain it that kinda of spell. Depending on how it works.

I don't think they well bring it up, because just does not seem like a good episode idea and might be a bit to dark. 

Edited by pinkiefan1287

@ Zygen

While Spike may just be long lived, still, that's 1000 years. For a dragon, that may be fine, but for someone who was raised as a pony, that must suck.

If they do handle this topic, it should be an appropriate theme in another story or built off something else, instead of the story just being about immortality, like those overly sad comics in the community.

Edited by CITRUS KING46

You can't really talk about immortality without talking about mortality and since one's off the table, so is the other. So, unless the show's suddenly going to be aimed at the "After School Special" audience, it ain't gonna happen.

Dragons aren't immortal, they live for a very long time if that's what you're saying, but not immortal. It's obvious that the two main Princesses (Celestia and Luna) can live for a long time but there's just no proof or any evidence that they're immortal.

I'm not so entirely sure if they should bring it up IMO, if they can discuss it without talking about the 'dark' stuff like death then I guess it could work, I really want to know about it more but at the same time keep it light and happy since the shows meant for the younger audiences.

• Brohoof 1

Dragons in most lore are ultra long lived but not strictly immortal.

Kind of like lobsters.  They could live forever but they taste too good.  Wait, dragons probably taste terrible and would most likely be too tough to eat or poisonous so that's not an apt comparison.

ANYWAY, even gods aren't fully immortal in some traditions.  The Norse gods in tales that involve Ragnarok (Viking end of days) die.  Some Greco-Roman gods died in certain tales. 

Hell, even the Face of Boe died and he COULDN'T die.  If you get the reference, then I like you :)

• Brohoof 3

Keep in mind that Friendship is Magic is NOT Adventure Time. The target audience is completely different. MLP is a show for little girls... so most of the time, things are going to remain happy, fun, and upbeat. I mean, even in the first episode, when they were walking through the scary Everfree Forest, Pinkie broke out into song. Any villain that comes along, the good guys always win. I just don't think discussing immortality is something the show writers would see as important. I think that would be a level of depth that the show just isn't made for.

Well in some mythologies dragons are immortal unless you kill them. Like lobsters could live forever, but we eat them

Celestia and Luna are hard. I have some theories. Keep in mind I don't think the show will ever cover them, but these are my theories.

1)They are like Demi-gods. Being that arn't gods (consider Celestia was beaten by Crysalis so for me that took away the idea of her being a god), but they still have power. Demi-gods are not immortal BUT they can live for a long time according to mythology

2) I'm going to go with idea that the film Immortals had. They are kinda like gods, but they can only be beaten by other gods of their levels or higher, or be beaten with weapons able to take them out. This is a weird one, but possible.

3) Taken from the Okami series, they may be dyaties of gods in mortal bodies. Okami's main protagonist is Amaterasu, the sun god in Japanese mythology in the body of a wolf. While the main protagonist has god-like powers, she (yes it's a she) is still mortal. She has to be mortal in order to move and interact with the mortal world (from my understanding, but I could be wrong). So Celestia and Luna essentially be beings that have power and could live for a long time, but can still be killed

• Brohoof 1

No, because Meghan McCarthy tweeted that Twilight Sparkle will not outlive her friends.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Twilight Sparkle dying in season four confirmed.

Or they all become alicorns.

tumblr_mhi2fxzdBh1qde1h9o1_500.jpg

On topic, dragons are confirmed for really long lifespans, and Celly/Luna both appear to be adults in the pilot backstory, so they may live even longer.  Quasi-immortals.

• Brohoof 3

Well in some mythologies dragons are immortal unless you kill them. Like lobsters could live forever, but we eat them

Celestia and Luna are hard. I have some theories. Keep in mind I don't think the show will ever cover them, but these are my theories.

1)They are like Demi-gods. Being that arn't gods (consider Celestia was beaten by Crysalis so for me that took away the idea of her being a god), but they still have power. Demi-gods are not immortal BUT they can live for a long time according to mythology

2) I'm going to go with idea that the film Immortals had. They are kinda like gods, but they can only be beaten by other gods of their levels or higher, or be beaten with weapons able to take them out. This is a weird one, but possible.

3) Taken from the Okami series, they may be dyaties of gods in mortal bodies. Okami's main protagonist is Amaterasu, the sun god in Japanese mythology in the body of a wolf. While the main protagonist has god-like powers, she (yes it's a she) is still mortal. She has to be mortal in order to move and interact with the mortal world (from my understanding, but I could be wrong). So Celestia and Luna essentially be beings that have power and could live for a long time, but can still be killed

Pretty good theories. The second one in particular fits my theory that Chrysalis is a fallen princess herself.

If Celestia and Luna are born princesses who live for a really, really long time (for some reason), I'd also guess that they're like the gods in Immortals as well.

If they are like Twilight and Cadence and received their alicorn status by reaching friendship enlightment, then I'll stick by the "Luna isn't immortal, Celestia has kept herself alive with age spells" theory.

I just like the idea that Celestia gave up a normal existence in the service of her people.

Hell, even the Face of Boe died and he COULDN'T die.  If you get the reference, then I like you smile.png

You are not alone. wink.png

Okay, on-topic now:

Now that the series has reached the 64 episodes necessary for syndication, and with the still increasing popularity of MLP basically overwhelming all the other Hasbro properties, all bets are off. DHX Media/Studio B can now take the series in any of a multiple directions to *increase* the size of the demographic rather than just target it. They've dominated the target demographic, and they have a well-known significant spillover into other demographics (us, for example). But Hasbro is going to try and be smart about this. It's going to be deliberate and planed.

The official comics were the first in a load of experimental MLP spin-off properties. These, the books, the Equestria Girls direct-to-DVD movie, etc. are all part of the same plan to scatter stuff all across a bunch of demographics and see what sticks, and what they can leverage. Like a submarine with sonar, Hasbro is sending out pings. As they gather more information, expect to see shifts in what's 'allowed' to be discussed in the main series as they try to maximize their audience.

• Brohoof 1

I'd love the show to touch more on this, but I don't think it will happen. It's just a little mature of a subject to be talking about for a show with such a young audience. Sure, we're part of that audience too, but this show is not directed purely to us. 

So, I'm pretty sure they couldn't do that. :(

• Brohoof 2

They should but, I don't know if a younger audience could grasp the concept of immortality. But, they do have many other ways of showing them the way of immortality. But sounds like a plan to me. img-1379355-5-xtWXQl1.png

Now that the series has reached the 64 episodes necessary for syndication, and with the still increasing popularity of MLP basically overwhelming all the other Hasbro properties, all bets are off. DHX Media/Studio B can now take the series in any of a multiple directions to *increase* the size of the demographic rather than just target it. They've dominated the target demographic, and they have a well-known significant spillover into other demographics (us, for example). But Hasbro is going to try and be smart about this. It's going to be deliberate and planed.

I disagree. Hasbro still thinks My Little Pony is a show for little girls that they use to sell toys. The goal was, and still is, to push a product that little girls like that parents will buy. Just because they've reached syndication doesn't mean the original intent of the show has changed. Sure, they'll let Hot Topic and WeLoveFine and other places sell to an older audience, but they've been doing that for months. The adult fans are still not the target audience for the show, and I doubt they ever will be. Yes, the comic is nice, but it is not the show. Toys, comics, books, and other media may deviate, but the show shall remain to sell pretty pink princesses to kids and parents.

Bronies have been around since season 1, and increased with season 2. If Hasbro really wanted to cash in on the older audience, I think they would have done some things different in season 3. But their goal still is to use MLP as a commercial for toys, and the writers have to push the new toy lines in order to keep their jobs. The show has never been and will not be aimed at an older audience.

• Brohoof 2

I disagree. Hasbro still thinks My Little Pony is a show for little girls that they use to sell toys. The goal was, and still is, to push a product that little girls like that parents will buy. Just because they've reached syndication doesn't mean the original intent of the show has changed. Sure, they'll let Hot Topic and WeLoveFine and other places sell to an older audience, but they've been doing that for months. The adult fans are still not the target audience for the show, and I doubt they ever will be. Yes, the comic is nice, but it is not the show. Toys, comics, books, and other media may deviate, but the show shall remain to sell pretty pink princesses to kids and parents.

Bronies have been around since season 1, and increased with season 2. If Hasbro really wanted to cash in on the older audience, I think they would have done some things different in season 3. But their goal still is to use MLP as a commercial for toys, and the writers have to push the new toy lines in order to keep their jobs. The show has never been and will not be aimed at an older audience.

And I disagree with that. Hasbro as a company is slowly shifting focus. It's been happening for years, it's just that companies the size of Hasbro shift *slowly*. Did you know that originally they were a pencil manufacturer, not a toy company?

Hasbro has been migrating towards an IP holding company for a long time now, and they have almost completely made the transformation. They only have two manufacturing plants left, all the rest have been sold off or shut down. Close to everything sold by Hasbro is made under license by third party manufacturers, like Funco. I don't think Hasbro actually makes *any* MLP product themselves anymore.

Because of this, Hasbro makes money off of the licenses, not the toys themselves. Unlike the popular image of Hasbro in this fandom, they don't hate money. They want to have as broad an audience for their products lines as possible, to increase their customer base. The various cases of Hasbro 'hating' bronies are from instances where bronies have acted like idiots and jeopardized Hasbro's licensing deals. As a licensing company, not a manufacturer, they have to come down hard on things when their licensees complain.

And the rules for getting a license for MLP merchandise isn't really that bad, compared to Mattel or other similar companies. I asked about it myself; for manufacturing actual horse equipment with MLP branding, but I couldn't prove a big enough market exists to make the leap. There is one, but not enough of one to justify the effort.

Add to that, according to transcripts of Hasbro investor meetings, with the show hitting syndication plus the DVD sales and international broadcast licensing, MLP:FiM itself is now a profit business rather than an advertising expense, and Hasbro is fully aware of that. MLP:FiM is now no longer just a 22 minute commercial for the MLP G4 product line. It's now a full part of the product line as a product in and of itself.

Anyone who's worked in a big company like Hasbro knows that the rules change when something moves from a cost center to a profit center. And Hasbro has a history of getting experimental with it's properties when given the room to do so. Beast Wars, MLP G3.5, etc.

However, Hasbro does make bad decisions. They may not follow this path. They might choke up on the show itself in an attempt to prevent it from losing market share in the target demographic, and leave all the experimental stuff to other venues. But to do this would be ignoring everything they've learned from all the previous MLP generations, as well as their Transformers, GI Joe, etc. properties.

TL;DR

Hasbro is many things, but primarily it is a licensing company and is no longer just a toy manufacturer. They are licensing a lot of MLP media recently, and the media they're licensing is branching out into other demographics. As the show has got enough stuff in the can to be a fixed, existing product that is now making money on it's own, Hasbro has an *opportunity* that it may or may not follow up on.

• Brohoof 1

I do see your point.

I think that perhaps they shouldn't discuss immortality, because that would point the way to sorrow of the immortal's friends' deaths. And that's just depressing, even if MLP: FiM isn't really for toddlers.

Either way, maybe they should foreshadow it, or mention it ONCE.

I think I've said this before, but people are confusing the issue of immortality with the related issue of Twilight outliving her friends and family. Twilight could outlive every pony she knows just because she gets lucky and has a long life. I'm sure Granny Smith outlived many of her friends including, it seems, her husband and children. Twilight does not need to become immortal to do the same, but of course it would guarantee she would.

The truth is we don't have show canon to support either position except for Meghan's tweet. Also the show does not discuss death directly. Applejacks parents are an example of this. We got shooting stars to represent their loss. So, it may never come up outside of fanfic and head canon. One of my favorite shows was Highlander (very adult show of course), but it dealt directly with being immortal. When done correctly it can be an interesting topic. However, my feeling is we will never see the show deal with it.

It is possible that they will, but it would be one of those episodes where they discover it and then through out the episode they go crazy about it and bad stuff happens and then the whole moral of the story will be why its bad lol.. I can see it happening :P

Meh...... I really doesn't HURT anything to talk about immortality. At least they don't talk about death. Could you imagine if a pony just suddenly dies in the middle of an episode? The kids that watch this show would be scarred for life. Especially the ones that don't know death exists.

So basically, its MUCH better to talk about Immortality, than to talk about death in AANY show that has a huge child fan-base.

Meh...... I really doesn't HURT anything to talk about immortality. At least they don't talk about death. Could you imagine if a pony just suddenly dies in the middle of an episode? The kids that watch this show would be scarred for life. Especially the ones that don't know death exists.

So basically, its MUCH better to talk about Immortality, than to talk about death in AANY show that has a huge child fan-base.

Wait, wait, wait... How young of kids are we talking about here? In my generation, anyone older than toddlers were aware of death. If not, wow. I knew kids were being coddled now-a-days, but I didn't realize how much. blink.png

No, because Meghan McCarthy tweeted that Twilight Sparkle will not outlive her friends.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

And with that, my only discomfort with Twilicorn has all but dissipated (pity that Justin Bieber has yet to do the same, though).

Edited by Anti-Villain