Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why Wasn't Tirek Reformed?

Midnight Seashell

Tirek is probably the closet thing to pure evil that this show has had and I'm wondering why wasn't he reformed?

If we are gonna reform guys like Starlight,Princess Luna,Discord,Trixie,Diamond Tiara etc why not give Tirek a chance?

They could put a spell on Tirek preventing him from taking the magic of others and teach him about friendship or were they trying to teach us that some are beyond redemption or perhaps he will be reformed after serving his time in Tartarus.But what do you think?

I think you sorta answered the question there. I am a huge supporter of redeeming characters and giving them another chance, but Tirek has literally zero positive qualities and is completely mad with a power hunger and extreme hatred to ponies entirely. No other villain has had such evil intentions and Tirek had zero remorse, even betraying the spirit of chaos himself who was assisting him.

Tirek is basically evil incarnate in FiM.

• Brohoof 5

It's probably because he's only been in one episode so far. Who is to say he won't be reformed later? Discord wasn't reformed in his first appearance either. I think it'd be great to bring back Scorpan and see what their reunion brings. He wasn't blown up like Sombra, so we could very well see him again.

I don't know why, but I am really thankful that they haven't.

The season 5 finale made me realize that villain reformation is one of the show's weakest elements, and if they even tried to reform Tirek, I am pretty sure it wouldn't have been executed very well.

I would have liked to see Scorpan get some actual screentime, but I would rather not even see him in an episode once, than have Tirek get reformed.

• Brohoof 2

I don't know why, but I am really thankful that they haven't.

The season 5 finale made me realize that villain reformation is one of the show's weakest elements

I've been saying this for awhile. Luna and Discord made sense. None of the others will ever make sense. Ever.

Note that I haven't seen anything past season 4 yet but none of the villains up to that point ever should have been redeemed in any way.

• Brohoof 1

So far, we seem to be on the same page here.

Tirek has no chance at redemption, which he doesn't want anyway.

He's spiteful, vengeful and very manipulative.

Mad with power and obsessed with domination of everything.

Given the chance, He would steal Queen Chrysalis' power, as well as Sombras.

You ever watch those tween movies where the "queen" or jock sit there and go out of their way to ruin the lives of everyone around them that doesn't fit into their tiny worldview? Then suddenly at the end of the movie they get redeemed and become friends with the people they previously had been putting down for literal years because "friendship"?

That shit is annoying. It ruins everything from cartoons to movies. Even as a kid I hated that sort of writing. I wanted the antagonists to get what was coming to them. It cheapens them as a character and, in the case of comedies, it's a lot of build up for no payoff whatsoever.

That's what reforming Tirek is like. Making a character as unbelievably evil as possible just to turn that design around because of an ideal they outright oppose? It's completely backward from the way they designed him in the first place.

What makes you think that this is even possible?

I think anything is possible in a world where alicorns can raise the sun and moon,unicorns can time travel,teleport and transmute objects,pegasi can control the weather and draconiquis can bend reality to their will.

I think anything is possible in a world where alicorns can raise the sun and moon,unicorns can time travel,teleport and transmute objects,pegasi can control the weather and draconiquis can bend reality to their will.

It's also shown to be a world where specific spells are needed to do things,and who would have had the chance to work out the spell needed for Tirek?

Tirek likely always had a thirst for power. However, I do believe he once did regard his brother as a close friend. With, in his eyes, Scorpan's betrayal, Tirek lost any concept of friendship and trust and became entirely driven by his desire for power.

In a way, he was empty after losing his brother and now tries to fill that emptiness with his insatiable hunger for magic. He mentioned several times how much he loathed the concept of friendship, so he was likely hit hard by his brother's betrayal. It's possible he blames the ponies and their ways directly for "brainwashing" his brother.

Tirek is irredeemable because he doesn't want to be saved. He has no link to any pony or being within Equestria at all. He has completely surrendered himself to madness. Discord could be redeemed because he could still be reasoned with. If nothing else, he found Fluttershy's attempts amusing, and a way to entertain himself. Until he finally realized what he was about to lose in the end if he didn't stop his games. 

Tirek doesn't have anything to lose, he already lost everything with his brother's betrayal. Even if the ponies would try to befriend him, he would just pretend to be their friend. A reform spell could work, but it's not real friendship in the end either.

Edited by JH24
  • Brohoof 1

Tirek likely always had a thirst for power. However, I do believe he once did regard his brother as a close friend. With, in his eyes, Scorpan's betrayal, Tirek lost any concept of friendship and trust and became entirely driven by his desire for power.

In a way, he was empty after losing his brother and now tries to fill that emptiness with his insatiable hunger for magic. He mentioned several times how much he loathed the concept of friendship, so he was likely hit hard by his brother's betrayal. It's possible he blames the ponies and their ways directly for "brainwashing" his brother.

Tirek is irredeemable because he doesn't want to be saved. He has no link to any pony or being within Equestria at all. He has completely surrendered himself to madness. Discord could be redeemed because he could still be reasoned with. If nothing else, he found Fluttershy's attempts amusing, and a way to entertain himself. Until he finally realized what he was about to lose in the end if he didn't stop his games. 

Tirek doesn't have anything to lose, he already lost everything with his brother's betrayal. Even if the ponies would try to befriend him, he would just pretend to be their friend. A reform spell could work, but it's not real friendship in the end.

^this

I also believe that Chrysalis can't be reformed because of a list for power, and I rather like this. Two villains that can be reoccurring threats that can't be changed.