Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Age of Trolls?

Zyrael

So this is something I've become curious about. When you see people post nasty, vicious, hateful things online, what's the average age of people like that? 

I'm hoping it's younger, rather than older. Any insight? 

All of them. If you think that trolling is something done exclusively by one age group, you clearly have never been on the internet before.

You're right, I just joined yesterday. My application to the internet was accepted, and here I am.

No but like if they're 45 or something that'd be... idk not many words can describe that. 

I think their emotional age is typically fairly low; their age, in years, isn't nearly as relevant.  By the way: I'm assuming you're talking about the anonymity-protected, bottom of the barrel-types who just regurgitate the same crap into every Youtube comments section.

Edited by Ziggy + Angel + Rain

well.. im 17 and im down for a good troll every once and a while :P of course.. i know when its appropriate or not and have the self control to no do it
i kinda feel like around age 11 is the trolling climax e-e im basing this off a 10 day camp where i had one in my room DX the 12 and 13 year olds where ok but my god i was so close to backhanding the living s### out of the 11 year old

Edited by Ju88snow

In my opinion, There are many kinds of trolls, 

and I judge their age differently depending on their actions...

Generally I consider the ones who seek to offend others by means of Vulgarity as children... 

but I'd say the majority of the more dangerous trolls are around 15-20, just old enough that they can form coherent intelligible sentences but young enough that some may not fully understand empathy...

Those are usually the ones I imagine posting in comment sections attempting to start flame wars O_o

I used to be one of those kinds of trolls - if someone said they were a brony, I'd just go "ooooh look out, we've got a total (blanked to avoid offending people)", as I thought the whole fandom was incredibly stupid for being teens/young adults watching a small kids show. I'm not longer like that, but I think it's mostly younger people who like to troll like that, and should just wait a few years and mature a bit.

From my experience, trolls come in a wide variety of ages, tending to range from 12 to probably early to late 20's. Never underestimate the horrible nature of some people just because of their age.

Agreed. I was just saying in my experience it was mostly 14-17 year olds, but it can be anyone.

• Brohoof 1

From what I've experienced from the old service I used, majority of trolls from there were around the pre-teen group. Then again, I personally think trolls come in all variations of ages - between 12 to 25. Maybe even lower or higher.

Edited by Guest

Trolls are easy to deal with. Especially the young ones. They're a bunch of imbeciles. There are some smarter ones as they age and stuff but it's just that you gotta ignore them.

The age of the trolls on any given platform will vary according to the platform itself.  Some sites are more frequented by younger people, and the age of people trolling on that site will be younger by that very fact.  Conversely, if a site is more used by older people then the average age of people trolling will of course be rather higher.

Additionally, given that the definition of trolling is pretty loose, ranging anywhere from the extremely malicious to merely stirring things up for a bit of fun or to promote debate, it's going to be nigh on impossible to pin the act of trolling down to any one age group.

The age of the trolls on any given platform will vary according to the platform itself.  Some sites are more frequented by younger people, and the age of people trolling on that site will be younger by that very fact.  Conversely, if a site is more used by older people then the average age of people trolling will of course be rather higher.

Additionally, given that the definition of trolling is pretty loose, ranging anywhere from the extremely malicious to merely stirring things up for a bit of fun or to promote debate, it's going to be nigh on impossible to pin the act of trolling down to any one age group.

Now this I can agree with. I was a moderator on a now-closed Team Fortress 2 server, and we had quite a few kids come in because it's been a free game for a while.

• 3 years later...
On 10/9/2016 at 4:34 AM, Zyrael said:

Any insight?

I am not a troll, so no insights from me.

I believe that trolls are people that need fast recognition, or a way to get away from their normal lives. I would say any age that can operate a keyboard. The older the troll is, the crueler the comments/attacks, I would believe.

On 10/9/2016 at 4:35 AM, ARagY said:

Typically it's younger, yes, but that doesn't particularly mean too much. Milo seems to accept being called a troll, for example. What is he, like 30?

Are you suuuuuure about that :)

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, Sparkleberry said:

Are you suuuuuure about that :)

That episode was one of my favorites! It made me think a lot about trolls and how they work!

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

I would say pre/teen though teenager's age-alas when you're on twitter you'd meet plenty cringy full grown adult ones. Once a troll always a troll, I guess.  I suppose calling them "brats" or "Kids"  just to upset them, would also make me one :Daydreaming:

I imagine they’re younger/teens. Most people grow in maturity once they get a few years under their belt and don’t feel the need to bring other people down for any reason. I’m not saying teens have the copyright on immaturity; plenty of older people act the same way and never grow a conscience at all. The age of maturity is coming later and later in life with each passing generation.