Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What happen to the Apple Family ?

Le Trotteur Sauvage

I knows there is probably millions thread about it but I always wonder what happen to the Apple family and expecially the parents of AppleJack Big Mac and AppleBloom ! As far as I remember, we never see them, even in flashback or something, I don't remember having heard their name, they have never been mentionned.
So, did I just forgot or miss something or did the AppleJack's parents are a real mystery ?
This is even weirder considering the fact that the Apple Family is pretty big as we can see in several epiodes ! But their parent, are ghost.
So if you have any idea or wonder, please help me to find the truth !  :wacko:

They actually have been mentioned in the show:

So I do have missed something, but, that's it ? Aj just throw her phrase like nothing and we never heard of them again ? What if they were just gone ? May be they have moved out, or are on a trip around the world or i don't know ! 

I just don't understand why the writers would have created a character with dead parent, this is not disney god damn it  :lol:

So I do have missed something, but, that's it ? Aj just throw her phrase like nothing and we never heard of them again ? What if they were just gone ? May be they have moved out, or are on a trip around the world or i don't know !

I just don't understand why the writers would have created a character with dead parent, this is not disney god damn it :lol:

If they were just not around (and have never been shown to be around when they were all young) it could raise some questions about bad parenting. I do think that there are ways to approach death appropriately in media targeted to young kids ... you need only look at Sesame Street and Rugrats for positive examples.

At present it is confirmed enough for me to conclude that the parents are deceased. I don't want to know more as there is something poetic about them being elusive about it.

• Brohoof 1

So I do have missed something, but, that's it ? Aj just throw her phrase like nothing and we never heard of them again ? What if they were just gone ? May be they have moved out, or are on a trip around the world or i don't know ! 

I just don't understand why the writers would have created a character with dead parent, this is not disney god damn it  :lol:

From FAQ by Lauren Faust:

Q:  Where are Applejack's parents?

To put it bluntly, we just never figured it out.  I just liked the feeling of them living with their Granny, but keeping the family dynamic tight and small.  To be honest, I would like to simply say that they passed away somehow, but it's just too sad for a kids' show and I don't think it would have ever been approved.  There was brief discussion of them being traveling salesponies or explorers, but since we never needed the information in an episode, nothing was ever made official.  So it will have to remain a mystery until someone decides to define it.

Also, remember the shooting stars from Apple Family Reunion? I think that's a good and gentle way to show that the parents have passed away.

If they were just not around (and have never been shown to be around when they were all young) it could raise some questions about bad parenting. I do think that there are ways to approach death appropriately in media targeted to young kids ... you need only look at Sesame Street and Rugrats for positive examples.

At present it is confirmed enough for me to conclude that the parents are deceased. I don't want to know more as there is something poetic about them being elusive about it.

We might have a case of bad parenting - Scootaloo'd parents. Lauren recently said that they are too busy, so she is left with a foalsitter (and is good at evading them).

Episode idea: these guys try to find out what happened to AJ's parents and reveal some dark secrects:

homes_and_watson_in_mlp_by_lovebugone_o_

And then they disappear them too, so the mane 6 research them all around Equestria and when they finally found them, they reveal the secrets they have found. But behind all this kidnapping and mystery was hidding a character that NOPONY was expecting !

This is it ! The moment of truth ! Who is hidding behind all this story ? I named ******COIL MISSING******PLEASE INSERT COIL*******INITIALIZING********3********2********1******* And that's how you make a wonderfull and delicious pie apple !

(damnit wrong coil !)

• Brohoof 1

I interpreted it as meaning deceased. But am willing to be proved wrong, but that's how it sounded to me. When people say "if so-and-so were here" they usually mean have passed over.

EDIT: Phoenix posted while I was writng that so there you go.

Edited by Tropical Melody
  • Brohoof 1

It's a subject that the writers don't really want to focus on given how it would go against the age demographic of the show, and that it's something a lot of children might not be ready to talk about especially if they were really young. Another possibility is that Hasbro themselves don't want the mystery surrounding Applejack's parents to be made known again because of it being something children might not be ready for.

The best the writers can do is provide subtle hints that don't necessarily strike out as being unusual.

Yeah I know...but sometime I wish there were not limits because of "the child who won't understand" or "the kids are not ready to talk about this and this" etc... If only the show could speak about this stuff without shocking young.

In fact the biggest problem of MLP is children. I propose we kill them all.

I interpreted it as meaning deceased. But am willing to be proved wrong, but that's how it sounded to me. When people say "if so-and-so were here" they usually mean have passed over.

EDIT: Phoenix posted while I was writng that so there you go.

Yeah, same here. If they were alive you would expect an 'is/are/will be' statement since they will eventually find out. The way AJ said it implies that they won't or can't. Unless something ridiculous happened like they are in some sock puppet dimension.

Its something that I'd LOVE to see, but the show staff seem incredibly reluctant to touch on due to fears of making the target audience cry.

I like to think that their parents died very suddenly, and its made an impression on AJ in regards to devoting herself to her family since she basically thought they'd be there forever and then suddenly weren't.

• Brohoof 1

"Some things are better left unsaid."

Its an old saying, but I think regarding Applejack's parents, it may be for the better. Death can be a very heavy subject matter and the writers don't want to go in that direction. Moreover it may just cause needless pain for the Apple family to dig up the past again.

• Brohoof 2

You  have to remember, this is a TVY cartoon, they are VERY limited in what they can do.  The episode Tanks For The Memories (S5) is probably at the limits  of what they can do with death. It has been hinted that they are dead, butt I don't think the writers will ever flat out say so.

• 2 weeks later...

So, how do you think Applejack's parents died?

They fought twenty bears and won but they angered Morgan Freeman for showing him up so as punishment he turned them into shooting stars

Edited by Reinbow Dash