Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Were the ponies cuter in season 1-3?

trademark2

I just have been watching pony music on youtube, and i noticed that the ponies just look a lot cuter in the earlier seasons.

im not actually sure what it is, but the main thing i notice is that before, rainbow dash looks so pure and innocent, and now she has blue eye shadow like rarity used to in some scenes.

Before example: 

Twilight sparkles eyes look different in the latest season than they did back then, i think thats whats different about her... but not entirely sure.

rainbow dash has blue eye shadow now in some scenes whereas only rarity used to, for example:

http://imgur.com/a/t9toi

strangely she doesn't always have blue eye shadow though... its wierd

I wish they would go back to the way they were animated in previous seasons, i think the cuteness was a lot of the draw initially. This could be a subliminal reason why some people liked earlier seasons more. I wonder if the creators of the show ever come on this forum. I like the writing for the later seasons more but i like how the ponies looked more in the previous seasons.

Edited by trademark2

Not really, no. They were cute back then, and they're cute now. I've rewatched a decent bit of the series fairly recently, and I didn't notice any real drop in cuteness. Though it does seem there's a lot more silly cartoon faces in more recent seasons, which is sort of a double-edged sword. They can be funny, but at times feel a bit out of place when there's too many.

Also, it just looks to me like Dash's eyelids are a bit darker. RD doesn't seem like the type to wear eye shadow, it might just be some lighting.

• Brohoof 2

Well, there are few reasons for this.

1) After season 3 (correct me if i'm wrong) Lauren Faust was no longer directing MLP, so someone took this place, mb with slightly diffrent vision.

2) Let's be honest, they just relized that they missed the targetted group of viever and slightly changed the show becouse of that too.

3) also, the times are changing, some things are more demanded in TV now, some less. Today (even in cartoons) there is a lot of 'action', i think they found 'friendship lessons' a bit boring and moved to more spectacular things.

4) Animators improved too, compare same places in season 1 and (fe. 6) and u will see diffrence.

I know tobic was about look of ponies....but i had feel to write this :v

Difference in animation maybe? The earlier seasons do draw an increased emphasis on the looks and appearance of the ponies because it's a new, colorful and quite frankly very cute sight but it's likely unchanged in later seasons. Maybe at the most, I do tend to see a slight lighter hue on the mane six colors and their eyes do definitely look "bigger" somehow.

(edited)

So your criteria for pony cuteness is whether or not they have eye shadow? :confused:

Rainbow dashs' charm comes from her pure personality and cuteness, and the eye shadow just detracts from that. IMO. I REALLY don't like it. And it seems strange that she only has it in some scenes. It's almost like they were going to put it in, changed their mind, and some of it got left so certain animations pull it up. 

it works very well for rarity, but not for rainbow dash. IMO.

Edited by trademark2

I just have been watching pony music on youtube, and i noticed that the ponies just look a lot cuter in the earlier seasons.

im not actually sure what it is, but the main thing i notice is that before, rainbow dash looks so pure and innocent, and now she has blue eye shadow like rarity used to in some scenes.

Before example: 

Twilight sparkles eyes look different in the latest season than they did back then, i think thats whats different about her... but not entirely sure.

rainbow dash has blue eye shadow now in some scenes whereas only rarity used to, for example:

http://imgur.com/a/t9toi

strangely she doesn't always have blue eye shadow though... its wierd

I wish they would go back to the way they were animated in previous seasons, i think the cuteness was a lot of the draw initially. This could be a subliminal reason why some people liked earlier seasons more. I wonder if the creators of the show ever come on this forum. I like the writing for the later seasons more but i like how the ponies looked more in the previous seasons.

I think so. I remember season 3 having faster animation than most other seasons. Season 4, I could notice more detail but a drop in framerate. I think the extra detail, whether it's resolution, complicated them a bit more. Maybe it's me, but I could notice differences. Also, I noticed later seasons made the ponies a bit more anthropomorphic than usual; there were less scenes with them using their mouths to hold things, they instead used their hooves and they tend to stand up on two legs a lot more. Maybe it's the classic 'pony' characteristics that have gone or maybe a combination

Edited by Theo Arrowsmith

(edited)

I think so. I remember season 3 having faster animation than most other seasons. Season 4, I could notice more detail but a drop in framerate. I think the extra detail, whether it's resolution, complicated them a bit more. Maybe it's me, but I could notice differences. Also, I noticed later seasons made the ponies a bit more anthropomorphic than usual; there were less scenes with them using their mouths to hold things, they instead used their hooves and they tend to stand up on two legs a lot more. Maybe it's the classic 'pony' characteristics that have gone or maybe a combination

OH you know that might be it! Hooves should be hooves :P, its so cute when they use their mouths to carry something. But now that I can pin it down it matters less. 

Edited by trademark2