Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why have flat-Earth theories become so prominent?

Cheval

19 minutes ago, Recherche said:

... What is that? I just Googled it, and I didn't find anything other than NASA discoveries. :wat:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counter-Earth
  1. Philolaus's ideas were all eventually superseded by the modern belief that a spherical Earth rotating on its own axis was one of several spherical planets following the laws of gravity and revolving around a much larger Sun. The idea of a Counter-Earth waned after the heliocentric model of the solar system became widely accepted from the 16th century. In the contemporary world "Counter-Earth" usually refers to a hypothetical planet with an orbit as Burch described, on the other side of the "Central Fire"—i.e. the Sun. It cannot be seen from Earth, not because Earth faces away from the center,[Note 1] but because the Sun's great size and luminosity blocks its view. It has been a recurring motif in science fiction, fiction—often serving as an allegory for the real Earth[15]—and UFO claims.[2]

12 minutes ago, Celli said:

Some people just really prefer to ignore reality I guess.

Why play by the rules when you can make up your own?

By the way.. I actually own the Earth. All of it. You guys owe me a lot of back rent.

11 minutes ago, Tytygigas said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counter-Earth
  1. Philolaus's ideas were all eventually superseded by the modern belief that a spherical Earth rotating on its own axis was one of several spherical planets following the laws of gravity and revolving around a much larger Sun. The idea of a Counter-Earth waned after the heliocentric model of the solar system became widely accepted from the 16th century. In the contemporary world "Counter-Earth" usually refers to a hypothetical planet with an orbit as Burch described, on the other side of the "Central Fire"—i.e. the Sun. It cannot be seen from Earth, not because Earth faces away from the center,[Note 1] but because the Sun's great size and luminosity blocks its view. It has been a recurring motif in science fiction, fiction—often serving as an allegory for the real Earth[15]—and UFO claims.[2]

3 minutes ago, Recherche said:

@Tytygigas ...

I knew there were some odd theories out there, but that's on a whole new level. :dash:

It is also not the one I am referring to. In short, one of the theories believed is that the "Earth" is surrounded on all sides by a giant wall of ice... which is what they feel Antarctica really is. Past this wall of ice is where even Flat-Earthers argue amongst each other. Some believe it is a second "Earth" encircling our Earth... some believe the world just goes on forever, and others think it is where the real world government lives. Plus there are all sorts of other theories.... as many as believe in the whole idea of it I would imagine.

2 hours ago, GrimGrimoire said:

In short, one of the theories believed is that the "Earth" is surrounded on all sides by a giant wall of ice... which is what they feel Antarctica really is. Past this wall of ice is where even Flat-Earthers argue amongst each other. Some believe it is a second "Earth" encircling our Earth... some believe the world just goes on forever, and others think it is where the real world government lives.

zl8Be3w.gif

I genuinely wonder why people believe things like this. :unsure:

7 minutes ago, Recherche said:

I genuinely wonder why people believe things like this.

Because science in and of itself is not a physical entity you can literally kick in the balls when you want some attention... so this is the next best thing for some.

For some going against the grain is refusing to farm rutabagas like their pappy before them and his pappy before him... for others it is "Screw your round world, I prefer discs!".

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, GrimGrimoire said:

I would say someone building a homemade rocket and attempting to launch themselves into space to photograph it qualifies as a believer.

Rich troll building a rocket to own the libs or something.

You don't understand. I need to believe that these people aren't real. If I don't, I'll be forced into a position where I have to begin advocating for eugenics, and that will come with social pariah status that I don't need in my line of work.

(edited)
1 hour ago, GrimGrimoire said:

It is also not the one I am referring to. In short, one of the theories believed is that the "Earth" is surrounded on all sides by a giant wall of ice... which is what they feel Antarctica really is. Past this wall of ice is where even Flat-Earthers argue amongst each other. Some believe it is a second "Earth" encircling our Earth... some believe the world just goes on forever, and others think it is where the real world government lives. Plus there are all sorts of other theories.... as many as believe in the whole idea of it I would imagine.

OH Wtf??? i haven't heard of that one :blink: thats crazy as heck

(and sorry for the confusion but this entire thing is pretty confusing to begin with)

Edited by Tytygigas

• 1 year later...