Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Nintendo to stop making the classic

simba86

nintendo just announced that they are going to stop making the nintendo classic in favor of making the nintendo switch.

the classic was a modern version of the NES that allowed people to play the classic NES games like mario bros. it was a huge hit and many people are still trying to get one because the demand is huge and most places stay sold out "mostly due to scalpers buying them for 60 bucks and listing them on ebay for 200"

how stupid of a move is it for nintendo to stop making something that has been a huge hit with its customers in favor of the switch "a new console that is already  having problems" ?

now it is going to be even HARDER to get one because prices are going to shoot up even farther after the classic goes out of production

it's like nintendo hates making money.

Edited by simba86

This is just Nintendo being idiotic as they always are these days. They never think ahead or make something that is even slightly future-proof, at least not anymore. All of the blunders with the Switch and now this? Completing stopping a product that has been in extreme demand? Were they not prepared for the demand or something?

Really not confident in Nintendo anymore these days. Their ways of business are simply too questionable.

Eh. Why did people ever care about that thing to begin with? It was just a novelty item, pretty much. The NES games have been regularly available on modern Nintendo systems very easily since the Wii.

Sure this would have made money for Nintendo, but that ain't my problem. =P

• Brohoof 3

I don't really see why these classics needed to be made in the first place.

I mean it's not like many of these games aren't already available through the virtual console anyways.

Edited by cmarston1
  • Brohoof 2

20 minutes ago, Envy said:

Eh. Why did people ever care about that thing to begin with? It was just a novelty item, pretty much. The NES games have been regularly available on modern Nintendo systems very easily since the Wii.

Sure this would have made money for Nintendo, but that ain't my problem. =P

22 minutes ago, cmarston1 said:

I mean it's not like many of these games aren't already available through the virtual console anyways.

It's the Nostalgia. nothing beats playing an old game the way it used to be played. 

30 minutes ago, cmarston1 said:

Not to mention that, with a little disregard for the law (because I highly doubt the games you can find online are legal), you can play NES games on a PC or even an android device (no idea about iOS). Still, that's probably illegal.

If you want one for nostalgia reasons, then you'd probably better off getting an actual NES or SNES.

The whole thing just feels... pointless.

However it makes perfect sense for them to dedicate more resources on the newer product they're trying to push at the expense of what is essentially a novelty item.

4 minutes ago, Vulcan said:

It's the Nostalgia. nothing beats playing an old game the way it used to be played. 

Then, again, aren't you better off buying an actual old console?

9 minutes ago, Soul Flare said:

Not to mention that, with a little disregard for the law (because I highly doubt the games you can find online are legal), you can play NES games on a PC or even an android device (no idea about iOS). Still, that's probably illegal.

If you want one for nostalgia reasons, then you'd probably better off getting an actual NES or SNES.

The whole thing just feels... pointless.

However it makes perfect sense for them to dedicate more resources on the newer product they're trying to push at the expense of what is essentially a novelty item.

I have to agree with you on that it would make more sense to dedicate resources on their newest product, rather than a novelty item.

Especially seeing how popular the Switch has already become, and how it make sense to put more time and effort into it, to make sure it can stay being successful, by producing more games and the like.

Edited by cmarston1

3 minutes ago, Soul Flare said:

It's definitely a viable option, in fact, It's something I'd more likely do but I guess there are just some peeps who want a brand new unit free of even the tiniest defects. 

2 minutes ago, Vulcan said:

It's definitely a viable option, in fact, It's something I'd more likely do but I guess there are just some peeps who want a brand new unit free of even the tiniest defects. 

I can see that, but from a nostalgic value viewpoint it's no different than playing a game on a Wii. They can make it look like one all they want, but it's not a NES.

1 minute ago, Soul Flare said:

I can see that, but from a nostalgic value viewpoint it's no different than playing a game on a Wii. They can make it look like one all they want, but it's not a NES.

The WiiU+ Nes Classic controller is indeed yet another option. Though it's a rather expensive one for folks who don't already have a WiiU. 

I agree It's no true NES , but It's close enough for most without having the same issues of buying a second-hand old gen unit. 

Since Virtual Console has been a thing for many years, I saw no point in making a replica NES. If you really want an NES, go spend a ton of money on the Classic or an original. Meanwhile, I'll be here buying relatively inexpensive ports of the classic games.

• Brohoof 1

Did people really expect something like this to run forever? It seemed like it was going to be a limited run from the start, and it went longer than I expected. Sure every console has a lifespan, but come on, re-releasing a 30+ year old console? Of course it wasn't going to last forever. Yeah it's a bummer, but that's usually the case with items on a limited run.

1 hour ago, Prospekt said:

Since Virtual Console has been a thing for many years, I saw no point in making a replica NES. If you really want an NES, go spend a ton of money on the Classic or an original. Meanwhile, I'll be here buying relatively inexpensive ports of the classic games.

That I agree.....Nintendo always take out something important to make more money on.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, this is pretty stupid lol. Maybe they've got scalpers working for em, and are planning to drive the prices up to ludicrous levels (like 1000$ a pop) :o

Scalpers give Nintendo 60% of their earnings and Nintendo gives the scalpers legal immunity for their "Nintendo-related" exploits. Everybody wins. Unless ofc you happen to be a consumer with any modicum of integrity xD

I just purchased the original 1985 console and games to go with it. This was merely months before the NES Classic was scheduled to reach stores.

It beats having to deal with demand and supply when everybody wants an update instead of the original thing.

-COUGH- -GAG- OH GOD, if I wait like 20 years I can sell mine for a whole lotta money.... and then scam someone into thinking they are cheap and get away with 100 dollars out of my 20,000 dollar balance. #Juked #Bamboozled #Hoodwinked #Hashtagged

I never understood the point of the NES Classic. Why spend $60 for something that only plays 30 games, (with a controller that has a waaaay to short of a cable) when for a little less, I can have a Raspberry Pi with Retro Pi on it, and I can play a few more than "just 30" games on it.

I see it this way, they are multiple Companys that produce their own Nintendo clon consoles, for Nintendo lovers. Most of these Clon Consoles arent to expensive and can even play multiregional cassettes. I dont see the big deal of, having the need to have an official one, why not buy a clon console? If it has something to do with, how much worth it is to have an original, you would have to buy an older one from the past or not?

I bought myself a new Nintendo Top Loader Clon console, it works, i got it for 60 Dollars and im happy with it.