Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

staff Magic: The Glaciering

Dark Horse

A cool breeze creeps through the night, a frosty chill in the air, the temperatures drop to near freezing. It signals the approaching storm; a glacial wind that gusts through the forum, unassailable in its quest to freeze the paths of those who would do us harm. These are the winds of the (sort of) North, and their presence heralds the appearance of a single card:

kSpZ5oK.png.e3d586e993405b0f5fead3574c490122.png

I SUMMON THEE NOW: GLACIES FROST!

Indeed, @Glacies Frost is the newest member to join the ranks of the MLP: FiM Sectional team! A cool and chillaxed individual, Glacies has displayed to us his exceptional understanding of FiM and demonstrated a calm and collected demeanor to moderation that means he now takes responsibility of protecting what is arguably MLP Forums' most important section, and I have no doubt that his talents and personality will be of huge benefit to the team both within and beyond his role! And if you ever have need of some effective Crowd Control spells, well, look no further! :D

(I really have no clue whatsoever how Magic is played..)

Congratulations Glacies! I know that you'll do FiM proud as a place for all to enjoy. ;)

(With thanks to @VengefulStrudel for throwing together the card art!)

• Brohoof 12

Be very welcome lad, I'm certain you'll do an amazing job!

Luna is best pony though.

• Brohoof 1

You know, I'm shocked.

That is a really terribly made card- the rules texts do not fit any Magic templating whatsoever. 

If you are gonna make a card, at least make it functional!

On the other hand, congrats to Glacies Frost.

• Brohoof 2

12 minutes ago, Quaestio Draconis said:

You know, I'm shocked.

That is a really terribly made card- the rules texts do not fit any Magic templating whatsoever. 

If you are gonna make a card, at least make it functional!

On the other hand, congrats to Glacies Frost.

Indeed. Card should probably be something like:

Glacies Frost

1UW

Legendary Creature - Staffer

Double strike, protection from memes

2/3

Unless we're taking it literally, in which case we're probably looking at:

Glacies Frost

1UW

Creature - Staffer

2UW, T: You may cast a creature card from your hand named Glacies Frost without paying it's mana cost. That creature enters the battlefield with double strike and protection from memes.

2/3

• Brohoof 2

Eh, I'd make it a Legendary Pony Staffer (really ought to have race+class), and add vigilance.

Looking at 5 mana, probably. Maybe have an activated ability that spits out staffer tokens or allows for tutoring of same

Edited by Quaestio Draconis
  • Brohoof 2

(O__O)

Rare @Evilshy sighting!

143906782483.jpg

YOU WON'T ESCAPE THIS TIME! :P

Glacious, we had only a passing interaction, but with your addition I'm officially impressed with the next generation of staffers that have been brought on in the last few months. 

Remember, the first few months on staff does tend to have a special quality to it. Treasure it. Congrats and do the place proud!

Since this is officially a Mod Drop ...

Old school tradition!

• Brohoof 3

Congrats @Glacies Frost! I've never really taken the chance to talk to you, but I've seen you around quite a bit and every time you've never given me an impression less than stellar. I'm sure you'll do a fantastic job as part of the staff and make the forum an awesome place for everyone. Glad to have you with us!

(sorry picture is huge)
thumbs_up__by_cradet-d5ixmo7.png

• Brohoof 1

Welcome to the (best) team @Glacies Frost! As team leader for FiM I am relieved to have an extra set of hooves to be looking over the place, and know you will excel with us. :)

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Quaestio Draconis said:

Eh, I'd make it a Legendary Pony Staffer (really out to have race+class), and add vigilance.

Looking at 5 mana, probably. Maybe have an activated ability that spits out staffer tokens or allows for tutoring of same

The first I posted, just the 2/3 double strike could be okay at 3 mana, but it all hinges on how powerful protection from memes is. Probably just a subtype in a single block, so the card would be good, but not op. The fact that it's legendary helps. 

If we're going for the version with an activated ability, then I agree, a token creator would need to be more. Or at least the ability would need to cost a lot more. 

Also, for both I was trying to keep the spirit of the original card so it made for odd designs. 

@Jeric. Hey, how's it going? I decided to pop in for a bit when I noticed a Magic-themed notification email. 

• Brohoof 1

48 minutes ago, Evilshy said:

@Jeric. Hey, how's it going? I decided to pop in for a bit when I noticed a Magic-themed notification email. 

I am doing phenomenal ... or fabulous if you prefer ... hope its the same with you. 

Vortex_Line_Break_PNG.png

You know, I erroneously call this a Mod Drop. Apparently, I was wrong. This thread is indicative of a real Mod Drop. Also, for your MLPF history minded types this was when Feld0 created Yellow Diamond from nothingness, when he was but a Spoon in self-denial. 

• Brohoof 1

Thank you all for your kind welcomes. As far as the idea of having my own card goes, you guys were onto something, but I think I would much rather go with an effect more like this one, personally. It fits my style of play a bit more.

58f587bf614b6_GlaciesFrost.png.41096c4107431e86e990529172a11265.png

• Brohoof 2

44 minutes ago, Glacies Frost said:

Thank you all for your kind welcomes. As far as the idea of having my own card goes, you guys were onto something, but I think I would much rather go with an effect more like this one, personally. It fits my style of play a bit more.

Ah, a fellow control player, I see. Though I prefer a sort of combo/control style. A bunch of different cards that control a little on their own, but add up to put a much harder lock on the game. Some of my favorite decks are Stax, Pox, and good ol' Death and Taxes. 

But honestly, I can have fun with any type of deck. Combo used to be my favorite, I prefer grindy decks now, though. And I always have some aggro around. 

6 minutes ago, Evilshy said:

Ah, a fellow control player, I see. Though I prefer a sort of combo/control style. A bunch of different cards that control a little on their own, but add up to put a much harder lock on the game. Some of my favorite decks are Stax, Pox, and good ol' Death and Taxes. 

I currently run Jeskai Control/Burn, but my specialty is actually Esper Control, Esper Artifacts, and Mono Blue Artifacts.

3 minutes ago, Glacies Frost said:

I currently run Jeskai Control/Burn, but my specialty is actually Esper Control, Esper Artifacts, and Mono Blue Artifacts.

I've never really liked playing Esper Artifacts much, honestly, not sure why. I prefer UR artifacts, though that may be just because UR is my favorite color combinations and I try to run them whenever I can. 

I've been brewing Jeskai Delver in Modern, but it's not very good, especially in the current meta. 

2 minutes ago, Evilshy said:

I've never really liked playing Esper Artifacts much, honestly, not sure why. I prefer UR artifacts, though that may be just because UR is my favorite color combinations and I try to run them whenever I can. 

I've been brewing Jeskai Delver in Modern, but it's not very good, especially in the current meta. 

I'm currently running Jeskai Snappy, so I can't really say anything about Delver. I pulled a foil Snap in Modern Masters 17, so I ran with it.

EDIT: Also, I play Esper because my favorite creature is in those colors: 207.jpg

Wee, timezones.

6 hours ago, Glacies Frost said:

Ability needs to cost more than 4 mana, or not be repeatable.

Being able to shut nearly every deck down from turn 4-5 onwards is not something that is good for the game.

Also, you ought not have hybrid mana cost at the same time as non-hybrid for the same colours.

On another note, I sometimes think we ought to have MLPF magic playing sessions on a regular basis

Edited by Quaestio Draconis
  • Brohoof 1

Tap 5 colorless:

Greet recently summoned Staffer. If greeting is successful, gain Protection From Sanity until end of turn.

I dunno what it is, but I have this strange feeling you'll fit right in here, GlaFro. Welcome to the team!

*taps 5 colorless, smiles*

Remember: always, but never, fnord. Even if grinkie... it's THAT important. :blink: