Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

About post counts and statistics

Jokuc

To begin this post, I'd like to ask why my post count suddenly dropped from 9600-ish (last number I remember, was probably more) to 7900. Has there been any changes I've missed?

Also, where did that feature go where you could check the amount of posts you have made in each section and how many topics you have started? Is it still around in the new software? I miss it.

• Brohoof 4

I think IPS cut out the statistics feature out if you mean the one that would tell you everyone's  post count in specific posts and such. And a lot of us lost chunks of post count somewhere during the reindexing process. In some cases it dropped people down a rank. 

• Brohoof 3

I believe this is primarily because of Fan Club posts. They used to count toward your post count but when they stopped doing so a couple years ago, your existing posts remained as part of the post count. After the site update the Fan Club posts have now been deducted from count.

• Brohoof 3

Yeah, the whole post count thing went bonkers because the system re-indexed and re-counted everything during the upgrade. Apparently in the old system once something got counted, it stayed in the count even if the forum it was posted in was updated to not count. Like Fanclubs and some other places as @Frostgage mentioned. Plus I think if entire threads got hidden for whatever reason, the posts were still counted. With the upgrade it actually went through and recounted everything and only kept visible things in the count.

• Brohoof 4

20 hours ago, Frostgage said:

I believe this is primarily because of Fan Club posts. They used to count toward your post count but when they stopped doing so a couple years ago, your existing posts remained as part of the post count. After the site update the Fan Club posts have now been deducted from count.

16 hours ago, Fhaolan said:

@Frostgage mentioned. Plus I think if entire threads got hidden for whatever reason, the posts were still counted. With the upgrade it actually went through and recounted everything and only kept visible things in the count.

But I have never posted in the fan club section, that can't be it. I'm sure it has to do with the ips upgrade but what in the world could cause over 1700 posts to suddenly not count? Are you sure it's not an error?

6 hours ago, Jokuc said:

But I have never posted in the fan club section, that can't be it. I'm sure it has to do with the ips upgrade but what in the world could cause over 1700 posts to suddenly not count? Are you sure it's not an error?

I'm not sure of anything when it comes to IP.B. Experience with that system has taught me that if it is possible for them to do it wrong, they went out of their way to do it.

So I'm gonna have to call on a sysadmin, @Lavo, who may be able to run a query on the back-end and see if you had approx. 1,700 posts that were either hidden, in non-counted forums, or obsolete forums that got moved to a publically non-viewable area.

@Fhaolan Jokuc was a member of the Q&A team. That raises two questions

1. SCS hid a lot of old SQ posts that may have had some impact on Jokuc's overall post count. 

2. Did the reindexing count posts in locked threads? 

Also, 

When Form Games, Lounge, and AAP were launched, were they originally set to count posts? Maybe @Feld0 or another old school user would know. 

1 hour ago, Jeric said:

@Fhaolan When Form Games, Lounge, and AAP were launched, were they originally set to count posts? Maybe @Feld0 or another old school user would know. 

Haha well you could say I'm an old school user, I've been lurking the site almost since it launched, I just joined in Jan 2012. To answer your question, no. Cloudsdale was never set to count posts as far as I can remember, prior to late 2012 we didn't even have the sections Forum Games and Lounge, there was just Cloudsdale. Ask A Pony came later, late 2013 or early  2014 I believe.

Anyway, @Fhaolan

I just realized there's one section I have a lot of posts in which used to count posts but does no longer: Welcoming Plaza. I think it was a while ago we set the posts there to not count but maybe the old software didn't re-count posts correctly and the ones in that section were then registered and removed from my count once we applied the new IPB update. That would make sense.. or maybe ipb b derpin' again..

• Brohoof 1

Ironically I actually seemed to gain posts, but that may be a separate issue, as it likely counted status updates too. I have heard of post counts being removed, but I am not completely sure.

Though it doesn't exactly count, you can see your full count in the Leaderboard that will include everything you've done on here. Some people are over 60,000 posts total. 

• Brohoof 1