Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Who else likes the touch of Greek mythology in the show?

General Solar Magus

The Hydra, the Manticore, the Chimera, the Cerberus, Tarterus, and a centaur(Tirek sort of). 

Personally I like the touch of Greek myth to the show. Aside from the shows magical element, this adds a nice, you could say mystic element to the show that I think puts it over the top.

What do you think?

Edited by General Solar Magus
  • Brohoof 2

So true.

Others expect this show to be this perfectly happy prancy world, but in actuality it's a world with dangerous things in it. The characters work together to make things better, and not just "learn a valuable lesson".

This show was very well designed and thought out imo.

2 hours ago, General Solar Magus said:

The Hydra, the Manticore, the Chimera, the Cerberus, Tarterus, and a centaur(Tirek sort of). 

Not to mention the pegasi and unicorns (although my research tells me that the latter isn't technically Greek mythology, but the Greeks actually though unicorns were real.)

Anyway, yeah, I like the Greek mythology influences in the show. It helps establish that the world is a lot different from our own, which helps with escapism. I've always had an interest in Greek mythology, so it feels pretty cool to see something and say "I know what that is." It's also pretty cool that they throw in stuff from more obscure mythologies, like English, Aztec, or Scythian.

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, WokeSmeed said:

It's also pretty cool that they throw in stuff from more obscure mythologies, like English, Aztec, or Scythian.

I know that Aztec is the Daring Do stuff, but what Scythian and English myths do you mean?

Just now, General Solar Magus said:

I know that Aztec is the Daring Do stuff, but what Scythian and English myths do you mean?

The cockatrice from Stare Master is English and the cyclops goat thing from Lost Treasure of Griffonstone, Arimaspi, is Scythian.

Oh yes, I remember those. 

That reminds me, I also forgot to mention the Orthrose from the episode where Applebloom tries to prove that she can do things without help. I don't know of an Orthrose in Greek myth, but I think it's a twist of the Orthus or possibly the Chimera.

The Greek myths give the show some teeth and much needed grit. It also expands on the scope of the pony universe and let's us know there's a lot more going on than we might imagine. It opens up all kinds of possibilities. Cute pastel toon ponies and Greek mythology makes for a truly original and unusual mix. I'm all for that. :sunbutt: 

• Brohoof 2