Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do the wirters even care about Spike as a charcter?

Tilgoreth

7 minutes ago, MegaSean45 said:

Hide contents

Didn't like what they did to him in Honest Apple. I thought all that crushy-wushy BS was behind us?

I thought it was, too. But nope. Apparently not. I HONESTLY wish they would stop it. Its old, its beating a dead horse. Either progress their relationship, or drop it completely.

I would say if this had been posted even after Season 3 it'd make sense, but even then it'd be a stretch.  You're asking this question in 2017 though?  I mean, if you can't see how much Spike has grown as a character since the show began, which would require a great deal of investment and care on the part of the writers, I guess asking that question makes sense, but Spike has changed so, so much.  He's saved the day multiple times, he's clearly more mature than he used to be, and also as far as we know dragons may live far longer lives than ponies do, which may explain why he's more relaxed about his long term goals, he's got far more time than the others (possibly) to do things with his life.  He's helpful both when he's a main character and a supporting one, and he seems to be at a really good place in his life right now.  Far as I'm concerned, the writers have cared greatly about Spike for some time, and I think far more fans like Spike too than you give the fandom credit for.  I know I always love the little guy when he's on his A-game.

• Brohoof 2

8 hours ago, Batbrony said:

I would say if this had been posted even after Season 3 it'd make sense, but even then it'd be a stretch.  You're asking this question in 2017 though?  I mean, if you can't see how much Spike has grown as a character since the show began, which would require a great deal of investment and care on the part of the writers, I guess asking that question makes sense, but Spike has changed so, so much.  He's saved the day multiple times, he's clearly more mature than he used to be, and also as far as we know dragons may live far longer lives than ponies do, which may explain why he's more relaxed about his long term goals, he's got far more time than the others (possibly) to do things with his life.  He's helpful both when he's a main character and a supporting one, and he seems to be at a really good place in his life right now.  Far as I'm concerned, the writers have cared greatly about Spike for some time, and I think far more fans like Spike too than you give the fandom credit for.  I know I always love the little guy when he's on his A-game.

The difference for me is that I like Spike probaly for the exact reasons most people hate him. He is even now (though to a lesser extent) still just the sidekick who gets kicked around. Also as a Spike fan I have notcied how much he has changed. It just feels like as a charcter he isn't really going anywhere. I guess at the very least Power Ponies showed that the writer were very aware of how they treated Spike. Weirdly that episode highlighted the best aspect of Spike, the fact that he will stand by his friends no matter what. Which I feel like hasn't been used enough. 

Also I have notcied small details in how the show treats Spike now, but those are inconsequntial.

30 minutes ago, TheImmortalLegendG said:

The difference for me is that I like Spike probaly for the exact reasons most people hate him. He is even now (though to a lesser extent) still just the sidekick who gets kicked around. Also as a Spike fan I have notcied how much he has changed. It just feels like as a charcter he isn't really going anywhere. I guess at the very least Power Ponies showed that the writer were very aware of how they treated Spike. Weirdly that episode highlighted the best aspect of Spike, the fact that he will stand by his friends no matter what. Which I feel like hasn't been used enough. 

Also I have notcied small details in how the show treats Spike now, but those are inconsequntial.

He just started TWO alliances with Equestria in season 6 by befriending the potential leaders! You really think he ain't going anywhere? That's future ambassador written all over it! The question is, do the writers see it? ;)

22 hours ago, MegaSean45 said:

He just started TWO alliances with Equestria in season 6 by befriending the potential leaders! You really think he ain't going anywhere? That's future ambassador written all over it! The question is, do the writers see it? ;)

That is exactly my point. The writers don't seem too care about that fact.

14 minutes ago, TheImmortalLegendG said:

That is exactly my point. The writers don't seem too care about that fact.

His next episode involves the two leaders he just befriended! That story arc is still going on! ;)

• Brohoof 2

29 minutes ago, MegaSean45 said:

His next episode involves the two leaders he just befriended! That story arc is still going on! ;)

Please no spoilers.

Guys please don't make posts that include spoilers.

On 5/8/2017 at 0:58 PM, TheImmortalLegendG said:

Okay please no spoilers. (Or at least say you are giving spoilers.)

Next time you make this kind of topic, put this in the OP:

You should do that if you want a spoiler-free topic

• Brohoof 1

Rant in the spoiler. If you don't wanna see me talk like a dingus, don't touch! ;)

I don't believe these writers! I saw the best opportunity for Spike in To Change a Changeling, and it gets wasted on Starlight and Trixie helping him with his problem! Thorax.... he's Spike's friend! And I thought he would help him out with his problems, cause I thought they can relate to each other - they were both outsiders! And besides, Spike started the alliance! Now Starlight stealing his friends, his goals, and potential stories.... I'm starting to not like her because of that. I can take her rushed stories, and I used to relate to Starlight when she had trouble making friends! I pitied her! Now I was proud of her when she finally got what she wanted. Unfortunately, when even my 2nd favorite character starts stepping over my 1st favorite character, I'M NOT INTERESTED! These writers are taking Power Ponies way too seriously! Give Spike a goal, give Spike some friends he can relate to - stop wasting his potential! A dragon living in a pony world is a gold mine of stories, and you're not even using them! You're cancelling out all he built in season 6! I saw a future for him! That future is still there, but just barely!

Scorpan.... you're his last hope, brah! You're the only story potential I see that the writers aren't screwing up on! After Scorpan and Spike's friendship in G1, and how he was responsible for letting Spike live with the ponies, they CANNOT, I repeat CANNOT waste that opportunity! I'll forgive everything if the writers could just make sense! Make Spike the character he deserves to be! I don't want him to be better than the Mane Six! But HOLY WIZARD OF FEELINGS - you call him a main character, and supporting characters are even getting more development than him! What is wrong with you, writers?! You're making question the show's moral standards again!

Odd-numbered seasons are usually not nice to Spike, but even-numbered seasons usually are. Season 8 is your last chance, otherwise I'm done with the show. Not like you care anyway.

Less Spike? ... The writers were listening to my prayers. Yea...they care about everyone's favorite bg_dragon. What more do you need?

On 5/17/2017 at 10:38 AM, Lambdadelta said:

23 out of 26 episodes of this season, we just got 1 episode for Spike, no love for Spike this season.

CMC, on the other hand, have a ton of episodes and screentimes ;)

That's fine. Spike usually only gets on episode about him every season anyways. And what's more important is how he is portrayed in the background. For me the stick with which I measure all Spike episodes has too be  Power Ponies. It established Spike's place within the mane six. So seeing him portrayed in a similair way, even if only in the background is good progress.

On 5/17/2017 at 11:24 AM, MegaSean45 said:

Rant in the spoiler. If you don't wanna see me talk like a dingus, don't touch! ;)

Hide contents

I don't believe these writers! I saw the best opportunity for Spike in To Change a Changeling, and it gets wasted on Starlight and Trixie helping him with his problem! Thorax.... he's Spike's friend! And I thought he would help him out with his problems, cause I thought they can relate to each other - they were both outsiders! And besides, Spike started the alliance! Now Starlight stealing his friends, his goals, and potential stories.... I'm starting to not like her because of that. I can take her rushed stories, and I used to relate to Starlight when she had trouble making friends! I pitied her! Now I was proud of her when she finally got what she wanted. Unfortunately, when even my 2nd favorite character starts stepping over my 1st favorite character, I'M NOT INTERESTED! These writers are taking Power Ponies way too seriously! Give Spike a goal, give Spike some friends he can relate to - stop wasting his potential! A dragon living in a pony world is a gold mine of stories, and you're not even using them! You're cancelling out all he built in season 6! I saw a future for him! That future is still there, but just barely!

Scorpan.... you're his last hope, brah! You're the only story potential I see that the writers aren't screwing up on! After Scorpan and Spike's friendship in G1, and how he was responsible for letting Spike live with the ponies, they CANNOT, I repeat CANNOT waste that opportunity! I'll forgive everything if the writers could just make sense! Make Spike the character he deserves to be! I don't want him to be better than the Mane Six! But HOLY WIZARD OF FEELINGS - you call him a main character, and supporting characters are even getting more development than him! What is wrong with you, writers?! You're making question the show's moral standards again!

Odd-numbered seasons are usually not nice to Spike, but even-numbered seasons usually are. Season 8 is your last chance, otherwise I'm done with the show. Not like you care anyway.

I think he's probably not involved with that episode because he and Thorax are already going to be involved in a different episode. And I think both episodes will end up helping the changelings in the long run. One episode deals with issues within the new kingdom, while the other has the potential to see a building of relationships between the changeling and dragon races through their leaders.

And Starlight didn't steal Thorax. It's not like Thorax is exclusively Spike's friend just because he was his first.

4 hours ago, TheImmortalLegendG said:

That's fine. Spike usually only gets on episode about him every season anyways. And what's more important is how he is portrayed in the background. For me the stick with which I measure all Spike episodes has too be  Power Ponies.

I'd say it's closer to 2 episodes per season, especially if you consider "Power Ponies" a Spike episode (which I agree, it is even though it involves the entire Mane 6):

S1 A Dog and Pony Show/Owl's Well That Ends Well

S2 Secret of My Excess/Dragon Quest

S3 Spike at Your Service/Just for Sidekicks

S4 Power Ponies/Inspiration Manifestation/Equestria Games

S5 Princess Spike

S6 Gauntlet of Fire/The Times are a Changeling/Dungeons and Discords

It's kind of surprising Spike got 2 episodes in S3, which was only half as long as a regular season. And he was even the hero in the premiere.

1 hour ago, VG_Addict said:

Do you think Spike will have a big role in the Rarity mane episode?

The wishful thinker in me hopes he's the one to convince Rarity it's okay to attend this event she is supposed to be at even if her mane is gone, but the wording of the premise makes me skeptical. I'll give it a 40% chance he'll have a big role, just because.