Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Rights Of MLP Are Purchased From Hasbro And They Reboot FIM. What's your reaction?

OmegaBeamOfficial

2 hours ago, Firedog said:

If MLP were to ever be sold, it would be sold at big money. Any company that would invest big money into MLP is gonna make sure they know what to do with it.

I can't picture a company like Disney acquiring it simply because they know they would have to let the fandom exists.  They protect there trademarks like crazy. They know MLP just wouldn't work with them and would be wildly unpopular because of there extreme trademark protections. 

One reason I can picture a big anime company to buy it is because it's right up there line.

They know about fandoms and such. They know how to make money with these things. 

It would be a big investment but I think a big enough anime company would definitely be interested and see the potential for huge profits.

That's a fair point, Disney probably wouldn't do it because of how much fan content comes out of MLP which would get destroyed.

As for the anime thing, yes, they know about fandoms, how to make money with things... With their own stuff. My main thing against it is that MLP is an American property and since an anime network is obviously gonna need to put the Japanese fanbase first, they'd have trouble getting MLP to appeal to a Japanese market without pissing off the fans overseas.

While I have enjoyed this show in some respects, I've been dissatisfied with the whole product because of the massive waste of potential with the magic and mystery presented in the very first episodes. Just remembering that the alicorn sisters exist, I've grown disinterested in the lives of the Mane 6. We've gotten plenty of 2-parters with higher stakes involved, which appealed to me on paper, but those actual episodes have hardly entertained me. Since the sisters, especially Celestia, have only looked like idiots as the show continued, there's no way an episode at this point can fix all the damage done in the previous 6 seasons because that would make them (again, mostly Celestia) completely different characters.

Thus, I wouldn't mind a reboot. If the creative team stuck only with slice-of-life stories and excluded all of the mysteries and alicorns, I wouldn't be as irritated about the lack of alicorns. Or maybe the new show can make better use of and expand on this seemingly interesting universe. In other words, a reboot would be a blessing in disguise.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I want need Spin Master and/or Platinum Games to buy MLP after an imminent rating bomb destroys FiM. The former owns Paw Patrol, whose own main 6 are much more stable and better with teamwork and problem solving than the FiM Mane 6 in general (the pups don't fight and they only need 11 minutes to solve a problem). And it knows better than to use all-powerful villains that can only lose by being kind and/or stupid enough to let the extremely outmatched heroes win. Meanwhile, the latter owns Bayonetta and would know how to provide MLP with proper, super-epic video game adaptations. To elaborate: Platinum Games would utilize unicorn magic, pegasus weather control, and earth pony weapons in increasingly epic ways against equally insane super-beasts.

small.png

Shut up and take my bits!

Edited by The MegaBrony
  • Brohoof 1

17 hours ago, The MegaBrony said:

I want need Spin Master and/or Platinum Games to buy MLP after an imminent rating bomb destroys FiM. The former owns Paw Patrol, whose own main 6 are much more stable and better with teamwork and problem solving than the FiM Mane 6 in general (the pups don't fight and they only need 11 minutes to solve a problem). And it knows better than to use all-powerful villains that can only lose by being kind and/or stupid enough to let the extremely outmatched heroes win. Meanwhile, the latter owns Bayonetta and would know how to provide MLP with proper, super-epic video game adaptations. To elaborate: Platinum Games would utilize unicorn magic, pegasus weather control, and earth pony weapons in increasingly epic ways against equally insane super-beasts.

small.png

Paw Patrol is straight garbage, as are 99.99% of preschool shows.

Does LazyTown count as one?

• Brohoof 1

I don't want it to change; I don't want it to end.

More than the show itself, I love the whole universe and characters it has. That being said, as long as they'll not ruin existing things or change the whole thing completely, it shouldn't be that bad, but it still depends. To be honest I don't know what to think about this.

Hey guess what would happen if Hasbro would sell FiM?

They would become Hadbro. :lol: 

*cricket sounds*

Get it? Hasbro Has~bronies and then there would be Hadbro Had~bronies. :D^_^:lol: 

*Everypony is like :mellow::maud:*

I laughed so hard, that I accidentally posted this joke. :love: 

*Everypony is like :scots:*

• Brohoof 1

On 2017-6-2 at 11:11 PM, Number62 said:

While I have enjoyed this show in some respects, I've been dissatisfied with the whole product because of the massive waste of potential with the magic and mystery presented in the very first episodes. Just remembering that the alicorn sisters exist, I've grown disinterested in the lives of the Mane 6. We've gotten plenty of 2-parters with higher stakes involved, which appealed to me on paper, but those actual episodes have hardly entertained me. Since the sisters, especially Celestia, have only looked like idiots as the show continued, there's no way an episode at this point can fix all the damage done in the previous 6 seasons because that would make them (again, mostly Celestia) completely different characters.

Thus, I wouldn't mind a reboot. If the creative team stuck only with slice-of-life stories and excluded all of the mysteries and alicorns, I wouldn't be as irritated about the lack of alicorns. Or maybe the new show can make better use of and expand on this seemingly interesting universe. In other words, a reboot would be a blessing in disguise.

Eh, sorry, I don't really see it the same way you do. I think they've explored tons of different subjects and stuff with a variety of magic, I think all the mystery from the start of the show about the alicorn sisters was unravelled rather nicely by the end of the 2 parter. The Mane 6 are the most interesting characters in the show to me, and they'll probably stay that way. Why? Because Celestia and Luna, maybe Cadance to some extent... Don't do ANYTHING at least half the time when these dangerous situations arise each season. And personally, I'd rather have them keep the show going as it is now, It's the best road forward, and I choose not to think of it as a blessing. Plus, my problem is, if there were more alicorns in the show like you seem to want, I think that would devalue their presence in the show as a whole, they're supposed to be special and unique but if the place is full of them that just makes Equestria overpowered.

22 hours ago, The MegaBrony said:

small.png

I never knew Spin Master owned Paw Patrol (not that I care enough about it to watch it honestly). And on the fighting level of things, I don't think fighting as a whole is wrong, It's just when to and not to fight over what that needs to be considered, Paw Patrol can't be good if It's teaching people to let others walk all over them.

On the Platinum Games thing though, hell yes! I even recall saying once that if an MLP game was ever to be considered, I'd be most excited if it was Platinum Games developing it, they've done some awesome stuff with other IP's, and hey, one of those IP's is Hasbro's very own Transformers, so It's not like their IP's haven't been proven to work well.

4 hours ago, TheGOAT said:

Paw Patrol is straight garbage, as are 99.99% of preschool shows.

Does LazyTown count as one?

2 hours ago, The MegaBrony said:

I don't think LazyTown is aimed at preschoolers.

Ouch, a little harsh on Paw Patrol. I don't care about it myself but considering how much money It's making and how widespread the franchise is getting I figure it must at least be doing SOMETHING right.

But I'm more with GOAT on the LazyTown thing, that show's WAY too condescending and treats you like an idiot, there's no way it can't be a preschool show to me.

3 hours ago, Rikifive said:

I don't want it to change; I don't want it to end.

More than the show itself, I love the whole universe and characters it has. That being said, as long as they'll not ruin existing things or change the whole thing completely, it shouldn't be that bad, but it still depends. To be honest I don't know what to think about this.

Hey guess what would happen if Hasbro would sell FiM?

They would become Hadbro. :lol: 

*cricket sounds*

Get it? Hasbro Has~bronies and then there would be Hadbro Had~bronies. :D^_^:lol: 

*Everypony is like :mellow::maud:*

I laughed so hard, that I accidentally posted this joke. :love: 

*Everypony is like :scots:*

The time will come eventually, but for now... Ponehs.

• Brohoof 1

Realistically speaking, Hasbro will never let go of MLP unless another, more powerful company bought out Hasbro.

As for a reboot, I'd have to wait until a few episodes have aired so I can watch them all before jumping to any conclusions.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, OmegaBeamOfficial said:

Eh, sorry, I don't really see it the same way you do. I think they've explored tons of different subjects and stuff with a variety of magic, I think all the mystery from the start of the show about the alicorn sisters was unravelled rather nicely by the end of the 2 parter. The Mane 6 are the most interesting characters in the show to me, and they'll probably stay that way. Why? Because Celestia and Luna, maybe Cadance to some extent... Don't do ANYTHING at least half the time when these dangerous situations arise each season. And personally, I'd rather have them keep the show going as it is now, It's the best road forward, and I choose not to think of it as a blessing. Plus, my problem is, if there were more alicorns in the show like you seem to want, I think that would devalue their presence in the show as a whole, they're supposed to be special and unique but if the place is full of them that just makes Equestria overpowered.

On the contrary, I want fewer alicorns in the show for the same reason you said. Celestia and Luna were already enough, and I cried foul when Cadance and "A Canterlot Wedding" first came up. I was more accepting of more alicorns later on, but only if there was going to be a good reason and if the show was going on expand on them, and not "just cuz" in the case of Cadance.

The non-Twilight alicorns (especially Celestia) never doing anything in the 2-parters is my main complaint, and the problem of those characters continuously getting pushed aside has only worsened over time. Those episodes had stories that were more appealing to me in concept, but what was put on screen generally haven't worked for me. If I have to be more honest, I hate almost all of them at the very least. That's why I prefer a reboot that cuts out these kinds of stories and the alicorns entirely or a reboot that actually gets into the alicorns. Basically, do it right or don't do it at all.

• Brohoof 1

Nope, i dont want it to be rebooted, i dont trust any cartoon companies can rebooted anything properly, Teen Titan GO, Ben 10... fucking stop. 

If FIM has to end, i want Hasbro just move to the new generation with better animation program (like Harmony, they dont have to use tradition animation, puppet is fine if they are lazy).

If FIM has to be rebooted, Disney is a safe choice, their channel has many good shows, their writting are fast-paced, they can touch more dark subjects than Hasbro do and they have fucking big money to hire good writers. Yeah, Disney are my best bet if this franchise has to rebooted. Screw CN and Nickedoleon. Even i dont trust any reboots but i think Disney will make thing less stink, i guess.

• Brohoof 1

21 hours ago, Number62 said:

On the contrary, I want fewer alicorns in the show for the same reason you said. Celestia and Luna were already enough, and I cried foul when Cadance and "A Canterlot Wedding" first came up. I was more accepting of more alicorns later on, but only if there was going to be a good reason and if the show was going on expand on them, and not "just cuz" in the case of Cadance.

The non-Twilight alicorns (especially Celestia) never doing anything in the 2-parters is my main complaint, and the problem of those characters continuously getting pushed aside has only worsened over time. Those episodes had stories that were more appealing to me in concept, but what was put on screen generally haven't worked for me. If I have to be more honest, I hate almost all of them at the very least. That's why I prefer a reboot that cuts out these kinds of stories and the alicorns entirely or a reboot that actually gets into the alicorns. Basically, do it right or don't do it at all.

I don't want them to necessarily get rid of the alicorns we have entirely, because their characters are likable if anything counts, and I guess if Cadance wasn't an alicorn how were we supposed to take her role seeing over the Crystal Empire seriously? I don't LIKE that they don't do anything either, but I do get why. The Mane 6 are our main focus, the show is built and revolves around them and the alicorns are secondary characters at best, they need the spotlight... Oh wait... I hear the Season 6 finale talking. Yeah, if they can do it with some randomly selected nobodies + Discord, I don't see why the alicorns don't get their own 2 parter.

20 hours ago, Lambdadelta said:

Nope, i dont want it to be rebooted, i dont trust any cartoon companies can rebooted anything properly, Teen Titan GO, Ben 10... fucking stop. 

If FIM has to end, i want Hasbro just move to the new generation with better animation program (like Harmony, they dont have to use tradition animation, puppet is fine if they are lazy).

If FIM has to be rebooted, Disney is a safe choice, their channel has many good shows, their writting are fast-paced, they can touch more dark subjects than Hasbro do and they have fucking big money to hire good writers. Yeah, Disney are my best bet if this franchise has to rebooted. Screw CN and Nickedoleon. Even i dont trust any reboots but i think Disney will make thing less stink, i guess.

Eh... "many" good shows is kind of exaggerating it to me, there are only 2 I could ever really get into on that channel. You're right on the dark subjects thing though, I'd love to see more of that come out of the show.

• Brohoof 1

On 2017-06-06 at 11:02 AM, Phirun Natela said:

They won't, that was just an attempt at making Starlight + friends more likeable. 

But the thing is they were already likeable from the start, at least in my view and depending on the episode. I've grown bitter and used to the fact that people will continue to just hate on an episode because they have an irrational hatred for Starlight, though as for the others last time I checked they have a decent reputation. I get that's an opinion based thing and I understand people may just not like certain characters and that's fine, but I've never seen anything on the same level as how the fanbase treats Starlight.

On 2017-06-06 at 6:16 PM, Phirun Natela said:

Welp, I can't say they don't have good reasons for it. I agree with most of the fandom.

I guess, but out of what people have told me, I haven't found a single good reason for it on my part. Meh.

22 hours ago, OmegaBeamOfficial said:

I don't want them to necessarily get rid of the alicorns we have entirely, because their characters are likable if anything counts, and I guess if Cadance wasn't an alicorn how were we supposed to take her role seeing over the Crystal Empire seriously? I don't LIKE that they don't do anything either, but I do get why. The Mane 6 are our main focus, the show is built and revolves around them and the alicorns are secondary characters at best, they need the spotlight... Oh wait... I hear the Season 6 finale talking. Yeah, if they can do it with some randomly selected nobodies + Discord, I don't see why the alicorns don't get their own 2 parter.

Being likable, while not bad, isn't enough to make a good character, at least not for me. And the likability dissipates if they're portrayed negatively. Princess Celestia is easily the worst victim of this flaw, so I'll use her as an example. At first she was just shown as a figure that Twilight looked up to and was the occasional quest-giver and occasional helper. Fine. I'm disappointed there wasn't more, but it wasn't terrible at the very least. However, "A Canterlot Wedding" aired, and she tried to take action for the first time only to fail to make an impact. I would've been fine with that if the show allowed her to make up for this, but that never happened. Equestria gets into other kinds of danger, and she gets tossed aside like some old garbage. "The Crystal Empire" made her intentions and judgment look questionable, "Princess Twilight Sparkle" had her captured and need rescue, and "Twilight's Kingdom" made her look like an idiot for putting faith in the obviously unreliable Discord while also contributing nothing to stopping Tirek. On that note, she has never done anything to stop any villain that has shown up with "The Return of Harmony" as an exception, and I've even become cynical about her depiction in that episode. That season 4 finale made her look so terrible that there was no way someone like her could keep a country stable for 1000 years without some bullshit explanation. The character I thought was wise and competent and wanted better spotlight on suddenly became a loser whose positive reputation could only stem from dumb luck. And the season 5 finale somehow managed to make things even worse.

There have even been episodes revolving around the CMC or one of them, so there's no reason the alicorns couldn't have gotten focus other than lack of imagination.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Number62 said:

Being likable, while not bad, isn't enough to make a good character, at least not for me. And the likability dissipates if they're portrayed negatively. Princess Celestia is easily the worst victim of this flaw, so I'll use her as an example. At first she was just shown as a figure that Twilight looked up to and was the occasional quest-giver and occasional helper. Fine. I'm disappointed there wasn't more, but it wasn't terrible at the very least. However, "A Canterlot Wedding" aired, and she tried to take action for the first time only to fail to make an impact. I would've been fine with that if the show allowed her to make up for this, but that never happened. Equestria gets into other kinds of danger, and she gets tossed aside like some old garbage. "The Crystal Empire" made her intentions and judgment look questionable, "Princess Twilight Sparkle" had her captured and need rescue, and "Twilight's Kingdom" made her look like an idiot for putting faith in the obviously unreliable Discord while also contributing nothing to stopping Tirek. On that note, she has never done anything to stop any villain that has shown up with "The Return of Harmony" as an exception, and I've even become cynical about her depiction in that episode. That season 4 finale made her look so terrible that there was no way someone like her could keep a country stable for 1000 years without some bullshit explanation. The character I thought was wise and competent and wanted better spotlight on suddenly became a loser whose positive reputation could only stem from dumb luck. And the season 5 finale somehow managed to make things even worse.

There have even been episodes revolving around the CMC or one of them, so there's no reason the alicorns couldn't have gotten focus other than lack of imagination.

You make a good point, and you're right, some of these like Princess Twilight Sparkle were pretty dumb with how they portrayed her (I mean come on, I get they needed a plot but you can't have one of the most powerful ponies in the shows lore be captured THAT easily, I'm fine with the concept because I think it shows alicorns aren't as overpowered as Equestrian lore makes them out to be, it shows weakness, and how Twilight has grown close to the level of her teacher, but it loses all effect when it happens so quickly without any sort of fight) but I like to think A Canterlot Wedding  and Twilight's Kingdom are respectable decent episodes, when it comes to her. Here's the thing, Discord USED to be untrustworthy. He's changed, he's reformed, so even though he double crossed everyone in the end, it wasn't unreasonable for Celestia to trust him, he's changed a lot since Season 2, and if anything it was actually a good thing Celestia trusted him because without that the episode wouldn't happen and Discord wouldn't have learned the valued lesson he did, nor would he have the last key needed for the chest. Still, I guess it would be nice if she contributed more to a threat though.

• Brohoof 1

On 2017-06-01 at 2:51 AM, OmegaBeamOfficial said:

So I'm bored and have nothing better to do so here's a little something for people to think about. This is a scenario that probably won't ever happen, It's just something funny to think about. So imagine that Friendship Is Magic ends, and years after It's conclusion, Hasbro, almost going bankrupt, is forced to sell the rights to some of It's franchises in order to keep itself running. The rights to MLP get sold in the process and because whoever bought it as a company have noticed the massive positive reception and sweet sweet money MLP FIM printed they decide to do a reboot. Not a new generation, just a new version of the Friendship Is Magic continuity. Personally I think if that happened in some screwed up weird world where Hasbro eventually loses success, if they rebooted it really depends on how much talent the people working on it have, and whether people actually put the effort in rather than just doing it for the cold hard cash. I know Hasbro crams a lot of things in the show to sell merch but at least they're honest about it and the writers actually make it fit into the plot. God knows what other companies would do with FIM in It's possession, the reboot would have like a 10% chance of being good. I'm not a fan of change, but I would rather have Hasbro make a new generation of characters and a new world, rather than have the current one left in the hands of someone who could screw up a new version faster than this series is going into seasonal rot. What do you think?

Hi, as this topic isn't about the current show but a hypothetical scenario/new series, it has been moved to Sugarcube Corner.

• Brohoof 1

I think Disney buying Hasbro would be pretty cool. That way we could get an awesome soft reboot called Pony Wars: The Friendship Awakens. :pinkie:

But really, I doubt they would reboot FiM specifically. They would probably continue it as it is for a while (just like Star Wars: The Clone Wars after Disney bought Lucasfilm) and then create My Little Pony G5 after G4 is retired. I would watch it if was of similar quality to FiM. Maybe they would give it an art style more akin to classical Disney movies.

What's that

That could actually be pretty cool. :)

• Brohoof 1

On 2017-06-11 at 7:51 PM, Phirun Natela said:

I hope not tbh, pretty ugly style. The lovely style of G4 kept me watching.

Well, maybe not that specific artist's style. Although I don't think it's too bad to be honest.

I probably should have just posted something out of a classic Disney movie. Like Hercules or something.

tumblr_mmi6hv2BTz1qgwqw9o1_250.gif

Basically slightly more realistic with a classical "hand-drawn" quality. Or maybe they could go more towards the G1/G2 art style.

I do like G4's art style, though. What they've accomplished in flash is incredible.

• Brohoof 1

On 2017-06-11 at 7:49 PM, Tiny Hoofs said:

I think Disney buying Hasbro would be pretty cool. That way we could get an awesome soft reboot called Pony Wars: The Friendship Awakens. :pinkie:

But really, I doubt they would reboot FiM specifically. They would probably continue it as it is for a while (just like Star Wars: The Clone Wars after Disney bought Lucasfilm) and then create My Little Pony G5 after G4 is retired. I would watch it if was of similar quality to FiM. Maybe they would give it an art style more akin to classical Disney movies.

What's that

That could actually be pretty cool. :)

On 2017-06-11 at 7:51 PM, Phirun Natela said:

I hope not tbh, pretty ugly style. The lovely style of G4 kept me watching.

On 2017-06-11 at 7:58 PM, Tiny Hoofs said:

Well, maybe not that specific artist's style. Although I don't think it's too bad to be honest.

I probably should have just posted something out of a classic Disney movie. Like Hercules or something.

tumblr_mmi6hv2BTz1qgwqw9o1_250.gif

Basically slightly more realistic with a classical "hand-drawn" quality. Or maybe they could go more towards the G1/G2 art style.

I do like G4's art style, though. What they've accomplished in flash is  incredible.

To be honest I'm with Phirun Natela, I don't really like that art style. The second picture however looks great, and I could see them going that route I guess. And god no, let's not remind ourselves of Pre G4 art styles... I'm getting flashbacks just thinking about it.

On 2017-06-11 at 8:02 PM, OmegaBeamOfficial said:

To be honest I'm with Phirun Natela, I don't really like that art style. The second picture however looks great, and I could see them going that route I guess. And god no, let's not remind ourselves of Pre G4 art styles... I'm getting flashbacks just thinking about it.

Honestly, it's only G3's art style which I've really hated the look of. I actually kind of like G1 and some of G2's art style. The retro style looks pretty cool imo. I kind of like the more realistic equine proportions. :kindness:

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Yeah I'd be pretty shocked to see Hasbro give up their second most profitable franchise just like that. Like you outlined in your opening post, it would take some drastic circumstances for such a decision to even be on the table. I'm sure Mattel would be happy though. But without knowing which said company would be taking the reigns or how much time had passed since the end of G4 it's hard to from a concrete opinion on the value of such an undertaking. I'm not dead set against the idea in and of itself. I do think if someone was to reboot the series there's a lot of things they could modify and filler that could be taken out which would streamline the larger story(at least as far as it's been shown).  

Aesthetics is another thing. Depending on how this 'G4x' was animated would be a significant factor. If it looks like cheap trash or over the top CG it could be really distracting from the kind of atmosphere the show tries to set.

And what about the voice acting? Will the same cast return to their old roles or will we have new people? Depending on who does the job and how well they do it to honor the original characters, that could be a make or break scenario.

Edited by Roughshod
Fixes
  • Brohoof 1