Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Reprecussions for Princess Luna not being around for 1000 years.

Singe

(edited)

After watching the Royal Problem episode and Princess Luna explained Celestia's power was useless in the dream dimension.

Ponies have went on for 1000 years without anyone defending them from the various nightmares that were never dealt with. That really leaves open the door for the type of plot where something big happens because it was left unchecked for so long.

There is no established big baddie that resides in the dream world or any ponies that were damaged by their nightmares for the lack of Luna not being around haven't appeared.

Edited by Singe
  • Brohoof 2

Well it seems that nightmares can't get into the real world easily, with or without a guardian. However, it is possible that when Luna was gone into Nightmare moon, she might have been trapped in the dream world. But still, without Luna, ponies would be plagued by many more nightmares, which could lead to many sad things, such as ponies running away, or worse. Lives can be ruined by nightmares, I know this since I once accused a former friend of something, not realizing it had only been a dream! 

• Brohoof 2

Honestly, I think ponykind would survive perfectly fine even if they had to deal with some nightmares now and then. It's not like they wouldn't be used to it, since Luna learned how to enter dreams during her time on moon. 

I have the Theory that the dream dimension is an extension of Luna herself. 

So It's possible that during Luna's banishment...Ponies did not have dreams... 

• Brohoof 2

I think the excuse would be that Equestria conveniently had 1000 years of perfect peace and harmony with no incident, as outlined in LittleShy's history parody vid: 

It's a blanket statement that acts as a get out of jail free card for any and all plotholes caused by the apparent lack of incidents for a whole millennium, and yes I do think it applies to the topic at hand as I think we're just supposed to buy that ponies conveniently didn't have nightmares or at least nothing to write home about in that time frame.  

If their empire did indeed experience perfect peace and harmony maybe they just didn't have much to fret about.  Maybe when foals were told to stay away from the Everfree Forest they actually listened, and Timberwolves never attacked towns.  Or Carcinus.  Don't tell me I'm the only one who's read Celestia's somewhat disappointing Princess novel where Luna apparently had an epic throw-down with a 20 foot tall giant crab capable of uprooting small buildings with but a snap of a claw, yet we only get to hear about it in passing.  Oh, and Luna helps assuage Celestia's nightmare by showing up with that thing...even though something like that would probably just make a nightmare even worse.  How did Equestria go 1000 years without incident again?  There's plenty of nightmare fuel around so you'd think some ponies would have reason to fret.    

6 hours ago, AlbaTross said:

It's a blanket statement that acts as a get out of jail free card for any and all plotholes caused by the apparent lack of incidents for a whole millennium, and yes I do think it applies to the topic at hand as I think we're just supposed to buy that ponies conveniently didn't have nightmares or at least nothing to write home about in that time frame

I think your making nightmares seem a lot worse than they actually are. The vast majority of people are able to deal with nightmares on their own, and there's always psychiatrists to help the rest.  And even if nightmares somehow was the kryptonite of ponies, it still wouldn't matter since  Luna didn't learn how to affect other peoples dreams until she got to the moon. So everyone would be used to dealing with their own nightmares instead on relying on a princess with way too much free time on her hands to sort it out for them.  

I think they could handle it a bit wihout her, but were probably troubled for a while. 

11 hours ago, Coffee said:

I have the Theory that the dream dimension is an extension of Luna herself. 

So It's possible that during Luna's banishment...Ponies did not have dreams... 

That sounds interesting, but I would think most ponies would be surprised with the sudden appearance of dreams when she returned.

17 minutes ago, Foxy Socks said:

That sounds interesting, but I would think most ponies would be surprised with the sudden appearance of dreams when she returned.

That's an interesting point....Maybe Luna is simply "The link" between dreams...and without her presence the creepy crawlies aren't capable of phasing outside of their own prisons. 

• Brohoof 2

3 hours ago, Yamet said:

I think your making nightmares seem a lot worse than they actually are. The vast majority of people are able to deal with nightmares on their own, and there's always psychiatrists to help the rest.  And even if nightmares somehow was the kryptonite of ponies, it still wouldn't matter since  Luna didn't learn how to affect other peoples dreams until she got to the moon. So everyone would be used to dealing with their own nightmares instead on relying on a princess with way too much free time on her hands to sort it out for them.  

Luna made them sound worse. She literally said that the one nightmare would cause permanent mental damage, so there is a logical cannon foundation that the OP can rest on. It's fine if you ignore that line, but it's a solid interpretation for them place this view on. It's a fantasy world. Dreams don't have to follow the same rules in fiction, especially when the fiction has already deviated from reality with respect to dreams and nightmares. 

Humans can't invade each other's dreams, for example. It's not a network that everyone in your town can login and join. 

6 hours ago, Jeric said:

Luna made them sound worse. She literally said that the one nightmare would cause permanent mental damage, so there is a logical cannon foundation that the OP can rest on. It's fine if you ignore that line, but it's a solid interpretation for them place this view on. It's a fantasy world. Dreams don't have to follow the same rules in fiction, especially when the fiction has already deviated from reality with respect to dreams and nightmares. 

Humans can't invade each other's dreams, for example. It's not a network that everyone in your town can login and join. 

Sadly or else I'd give all my principals nightmares for months! We have great teachers, awesome students, but terrible principals who all have a bratty son. What I'd give to have Luna's powers...