Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Atari Is Back?!

K.Rool Addict

^My mind is imploding atm. If they come out with a LEGIT competitor to the Ps4, Xbox One, and Switch, I will be on the motherfucking roof celebrating like a MADMAN! And, OH MAN if they put sum delicious wood grain on the thing... I will probably die of happiness! xD

I was srsly hoping for something like this for YEARS now. Console gaming has become an absolute joke. What better way to invigorate the industry than have a 3rd party entering the fray after a 2 decade hiatus?? Inb4 this console ends up being a little "Nes Classic"-esque box meant for playing old school Atari games via HDMI Q.Q 

c42aa76f9204273b5181cf7bc4412fc0503bdbaa

• Brohoof 5

7 minutes ago, K.Rool Addict said:

^My mind is imploding atm. If they come out with a LEGIT competitor to the Ps4, Xbox One, and Switch, I will be on the motherfucking roof celebrating like a MADMAN! And, OH MAN if they put sum delicious wood grain on the thing... I will probably die of happiness! xD

I was srsly hoping for something like this for YEARS now. Console gaming has become an absolute joke. What better way to invigorate the industry than have a 3rd party entering the fray after a 2 decade hiatus?? Inb4 this console ends up being a little "Nes Classic"-esque box meant for playing old school Atari games via HDMI Q.Q 

c42aa76f9204273b5181cf7bc4412fc0503bdbaa

lmao I only clicked here because of that weird ass title you put. Lol. Still I doubt Atari could be real competition for Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo. Especially if it only has third party games. I mean if it does have first party titles they would have to be sh*t your pants holy ball f**k amazing.

• Brohoof 1

5 minutes ago, Tilgoreth said:

lmao I only clicked here because of that weird ass title you put. Lol. Still I doubt Atari could be real competition for Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo. Especially if it only has third party games. I mean if it does have first party titles they would have to be sh*t your pants holy ball f**k amazing.

Man, if the thing has exclusives to top it all off I'll go freaking insane xD

• Brohoof 1

If it's a platform where you can play oldschool games, that's cool I guess. But people already play em on emutators anyway so what's the point? If it's meant to be a serious console to go up against Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo... well... As much as I'd like to see it succeed, I'm pretty sure it would fail horribly and they'd have to close down. There's no way companies (other than some random indie developers) would make games for it. I mean just look at the wii and switch, all the big dogs are completely ignoring those cause it's a waste of resources to develop for those platforms. Besides, all the huge titles already have contracts with ms and sony..

I'm sorry, but I really don't see this going well for atari. Even if the console turned out to be amazing and more powerful than both xbox and playstation, people ain't gonna buy it cause they want to play on the consoles everyone else already use. 

55 minutes ago, Jokuc said:

If it's a platform where you can play oldschool games, that's cool I guess. But people already play em on emutators anyway so what's the point? If it's meant to be a serious console to go up against Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo... well... As much as I'd like to see it succeed, I'm pretty sure it would fail horribly and they'd have to close down. There's no way companies (other than some random indie developers) would make games for it. I mean just look at the wii and switch, all the big dogs are completely ignoring those cause it's a waste of resources to develop for those platforms. Besides, all the huge titles already have contracts with ms and sony..

I'm sorry, but I really don't see this going well for atari. Even if the console turned out to be amazing and more powerful than both xbox and playstation, people ain't gonna buy it cause they want to play on the consoles everyone else already use. 

All they need to do is some demos for attention to get companies interested. And its entirely risky, so it had better blow the competition out of the water to make a good impression, otherwise there'd be no point.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Jokuc said:

If it's meant to be a serious console to go up against Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo... well... As much as I'd like to see it succeed, I'm pretty sure it would fail horribly and they'd have to close down. There's no way companies (other than some random indie developers) would make games for it. I mean just look at the wii and switch, all the big dogs are completely ignoring those cause it's a waste of resources to develop for those platforms.

UNLESS...

18adf015e89fc03582228556ce77b969b0e79929

^Atari brings out the big guns and puts an i7 sky-kabylake cpu + a gtx 1070-1080 in this thing :P That is a big "if" ofc, but I'm just sayin'  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯,

Imagine a nice, big, sexy beast sitting under your HDTV with that smexy wood grain right in your face, sliding those UHD Blueray discs in and out...  oh God yes! Q.Q

I'm unsure how to feel about this; I need more information. I feel like they're going to be in a rough spot this generation no matter what this ends up being. It likely won't be able to compete against Microsoft and Sony's console offerings if it's an upper tier console, it'll really struggle for developer attention against the portable hybrid switch at the medium tier and if it's something like the NES classic, they have emulators to fight against. I'm just thinking out loud though, they haven't really detailed any of their plans yet.

8 hours ago, K.Rool Addict said:

UNLESS...

^Atari brings out the big guns and puts an i7 sky-kabylake cpu + a gtx 1070-1080 in this thing :P 

I don't think it matters too much to be honest. It's already a tough battle of the giants, it will be nearly impossible for atari to get the attention they want. 

9 hours ago, Jokuc said:

I don't think it matters too much to be honest. It's already a tough battle of the giants, it will be nearly impossible for atari to get the attention they want. 

Attention? This is the first time since the Dreamcast that we've had another competitor (potentially) entering the console gaming market. Since the Ps2/ Gamecube/ Xbox generation, we console gamers have been stuck with nothing but Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft. I would say a new face entering the console gaming space would be quite the hot topic, especially amongst younger gamers who have never experienced anything but the "big 3" console manufacturer/ 1st party devs :o 

Of course, this is assuming the console does indeed have the power to back itself up. If it ends up being a little Nes Classic clone or an Ouya-like console, then there is no hope whatsoever. 

Only time will tell, I suppose. Would be really exciting to see a "new" face joining the big leagues after all these years =^-^=

@K.Rool Addict what I meant was, if they enter the market, I don't see how they will make all the kids who never heard of Atari to look their way. All their friends will be playing the xbox or playstation, so there's no reason for them to get an Atari unless they have a geeky parent.

(edited)
On 6/22/2017 at 8:30 AM, cmarston1 said:

I highly highly doubt that the Atari could make a successful comeback as a serious competitor in the console market.

Or a comeback in general, in any market.

Seriously, I have no idea how Atari thinks they have the money to pull off being a serious competitor to Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo, all major companies that have spent several years and tens, probably hundreds of millions of dollars developing their products. Atari is 13.3 million EUR in the red  as of 2015, and i doubt the situation has improved significantly since. They're essentially in a state of perpetual bankruptcy.

Sega would be a more realistic (but still highly unlikely) competitor, they at least know what the hell they're doing (unlike Atari, which went out kicking and screaming with the laughably bad Jaguar) and only left the console market due to low sales digging the company's grave (despite how good the Dreamcast actually was as a console and all the money spent making it, the PlayStation utterly devastated it.)

Video games are a billion dollar industry now. That's not something you decide to get back into seemingly on a whim...like what Atari is doing.

Just look at their stock price. This is a desperate bid for PR and media attention that their coffers--what little they have--are going to be unable to back up and will doubtlessly fail, and probably take what little remains of Atari down with it.

Edited by ArDee

I just realized how they could specialize. Atari games were arcade-like right? What if they do something like 16k 200 fps arcade remakes? That'd be awesome for like actual arcades tho, where they could afford a tv with 16k and 244hz rather than all consumers. I think this would be epic if that were the case, but its like definitely not the case. A neat idea tho so I felt like sharing it.

I cant imagine the kind of capital Atari would require to make anything other than a cheap plug and play emulation machine. The idea of Atari trying to get back into the industry with a serious intent on competing with Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft sounds like a fools errand. Especially with the brand history. I mean yeah older people will recognize the brand and have nostalgia but anyone born in the 90's will have no idea what the hell an Atari is. You try and show a modern teenager the Atari 2600 gameplay and graphics and they'll say "...this was a game?"

It doesnt sound likely Atari will take a serious attempt at competing and will likely make some kind of "alternative" like OUYA which would be welcome if it was properly done. But to make a serious console would require heavy financial backing in PC hardware that I dont believe Atari will ever achieve since their downfall in the 80's.

Nice to see someone else who watches ReviewTechUSA.

It'd be cool to see Atari come up with a genuine competitor to current gen consoles, but... how? I'm skeptical that Atari has the resources to pull something like that off. Sure, they could just put PC hardware in a box and call it a day, except that would be difficult, because the current state of the PC gaming market means that it's almost impossible to find a graphics card right now, and the few cards that are left are ridiculously overpriced.

And even if they succeeded in building a good console, why would third-party devs choose to put their game on the Ataribox when they could put it on any of the more popular consoles?

Also, regarding the idea that Atari is just gonna make a cheap emulation machine for old Atari games , there are already seven of those.

As much as I want to believe in the old dog that is Atari, I honestly have no confidence in that new machine of theirs.

Lack of first party titles is the first big issue. No point in purchasing a system that isn't offering something everyone else isn't already. But there's other issues that come to my mind. They're launching at a strange point in time. Rather than launching at the start of a new generation of consoles, they're choosing to launch in the middle where most everyone else already has what they've chosen what they're going to stick to and want to get games for what they already have and probably won't bother unless something huge comes to it. Now, I know there are exceptions to that, but in the broad sense of the market, someone will probably purchase or have already purchased a different system that has its own version of any given third party title due to the other systems also having exclusives they are interested in.

Unless Atari has something to blow us out of the water, they'll be as good as dead in it. And with their strange choices the past few years like their failed Asteroids MMO...thing and that horrid Alone in the Dark game that was about light and co-op so you were neither alone nor in the dark...it doesn't give me high hopes.

• 1 month later...