Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Will the movie bring in new fans?

CastletonSnob

Maybe, I wouldn't really count on it unless the movie does really well critically

Chances are it'll be mainly watched by fans as well as it's target demograph

• Brohoof 3

16 minutes ago, Hot Rod said:

Maybe, I wouldn't really count on it unless the movie does really well critically

I mostly agree with this.

I'm sure there will be a small boost in new fans, but movies like this are typically watched by already existing fans I think.

• Brohoof 2

I feel like the movie could either hurt or help the fandom. New fans could come in after seeing the movie, or old fans could leave if the movie is done wrong. Right now, we're all waiting in the sidelines. 

• Brohoof 2

depends on how good the movie is and how successful it is.

if its a flash in the pan that just breaks even, like Smurfs or chipmunks movies, no. If it turns out to be a success on par with things like cars or despicable me, then yes, definitely.

That will depend on how well the movie is received by both the fandom and the target audience that Hasbro is aiming for. If both of these succeed, then I can see new fans coming on board and wanting to see more of MLP. If one or neither succeed, then things will remain as they are right now.

8 hours ago, Hot Rod said:

Maybe I'm just being pessimistic, but I think the movie will get mixed reviews from critics, at best.

I don't know. I just hope the fandom and show are fun to watch. I don't really care if there are more people watching it, as long the series continues. ;)

(edited)

well im sure it does bring in new fans since it  gives MLP brand lot of publicity and even if the movie failed  it still gives the MLP publicity and will bring in new fans. because in the end the publicity is what attracts new fans  as people who were not aware of it before  are suddenly aware of it.

Edited by ooReiko
  • Brohoof 1

It will probably just be seen by the target demographic and the fandom, but I can see Hasbro is trying to get at least some others to see the movie due to the inclusion of celebrity voices.

It might, since some parents who simply glazed over their children's viewing of the show will now have to sit and watch it with them when they go to the theatre, but I wouldn't expect large numbers.

Judging by the marketing and the trailer, the movie appears to be written in such a way that someone unfamiliar with the show could still come in and enjoy it, rather like how the nuTrek movies have been made to cater to people outside the traditional Star Trek fandom. As such I do think it's likely the movie will garner an increase in the fandom, albeit a small one. I'm unsure of how well this movie will really do, honestly. The celebrity voice actors being marketed especially seems like it's trying to draw in new folks, but whether or not that will succeed is another question entirely.

• 2 weeks later...