Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Non-MLP Media Referencing MLP/Bronies

Pippinjack

(edited)

(I hope this is the correct forum section. Sooo many different sections... *head spins*)

Personally, I love it when shows or games mention or hint at other series. Especially, if it's funny. The Simpsons do that all the time. I'm curious which shows reference MLP. Can you think of some that did?

I came up with the idea for this thread, when a friend told me, that there's a game that let's you talk about Brony conventions. I thought he was joking (He sometimes makes fun of my love for MLP, but he gets just as many phrases back from me about his own quirks ;) ). Well, turns out he wasn't joking this time. It's called "Disobey Me!" and litereally has a screenshot of it on its website:

gameplay3.png.b2216aefdaba886c257d634e416bb0e9.png

There's a section in this game where you chat with this bunny character and I guess you can somehow start a talk about Bronies. ...if I knew how. I either end up screwing up the conversation or talking about Japanese toilets (the game's a bit weird sometimes).

So here's my question to you:

Have you encountered shows or other media mentioning MLP in some way? (Maybe the Simpsons already did and I just missed it, dunno).

(Also, if you played Disobey Me, can you tell me how to get to this section of the chat? It's kinda driving me crazy atm and I want to know what it has to say about Bronies)

Edit: Just noticed that Google doesn't find the game for some reason. You can find the demo on Youtube though.

Edited by Pippinjack

(edited)

The Penguins of Madagascar

Private with a unicorn doll  

In the TV series The Penguins of Madagascar, Private is a fan of a show called "Lunacorns", a parody of My Little Pony, along with going to their events, buying their merchandise, and even citing advice and words of wisdom the characters on the show say, which parodies the various lessons about friendship heard in Friendship is Magic. 

In the episode "Miracle on Ice", Private and the other Penguins go to a Lunacorn ice show, along with Roy the Rhino and Bing the gorilla, who are also fans of the show, which parodies the adult Bronies in real life who watch My Little Pony. 

The Lunacorns play an important role in the special, "Operation: Lunacon Apocalypse", where the antagonist, Kuchikukan, takes over the body of Private's unicorn doll, Princess Self-Respectra.

Came around this on tv and I remembered it.

http://mlpfanart.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_FiM_references_in_other_media

Edited by Hierok

In Teen Titans Go, Raven (voiced by Tara Strong, same as Twilight Sparkle) is shown to be very fond of a cartoon and line of toys called Pretty Pretty Pegasus. There's even an episode in which the main cast is trapped in an episode and ends up learning about the magic of friendship from the pegasi.

large.jpg

See the little marks on the ponies' cheeks? They're basically cutie marks.

• Brohoof 1

Got a few more webcomic references that aren't on the wiki list above :D

One from the scifi comic strip Freefall

Another, from the fantasy series Wapsi Square, where the Atsali character is portrayed as a big RD fan, with a picture of her in her bedroom, references to various mlp merch (such as limited edition crystal ponies) in the plotline, and as seen here a sequence where she cosplays RD.

and as a passing one-shot joke, Yosh! Saga...

Wow now that's far more than I expected, awesome :D

1 hour ago, CypherHoof said:

One from the scifi comic strip Freefall

What does he mean with "One can not build a society based solely on the teachings of 'My little Pony'."? That's like, the best society :o

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Pippinjack said:

Wow now that's far more than I expected, awesome :D

What does he mean with "One can not build a society based solely on the teachings of 'My little Pony'."? That's like, the best society :o

Maybe he meant they needed to heed the philosophy of EqG too? :)

(edited)
7 hours ago, PinkiePie97 said:

The Penguins of Madagascar came out before FiM. The episode Miracle on Ice aired in 2009, so it couldn't have been parodying bronies.

Okay, I've edited the Penguins section to be more accurate. I haven't watched the show in a while, so I didn't remember that much from it.

In the TV series The Penguins of Madagascar, Private is a fan of a show called "Lunacorns", a parody of My Little Pony, along with going to their events, buying their merchandise, and even citing advice and words of wisdom the characters on the show say. 

The Lunacorns themselves were not a reference to Friendship is Magic, as they debuted before FiM premiered, however, in the episode "Antics on Ice", Private and the other Penguins go to a Lunacorn ice show, along with Roy the Rhino and Bing the gorilla, who are also fans of the show, which is possibly a reference to the adult Bronies in real life who watch My Little Pony. 

The Lunacorns play an important role in the special, "Operation: Lunacon Apocalypse", where the antagonist, Kuchikukan, takes over the body of Private's unicorn doll, Princess Self-Respectra.

Edited by PinkiePie97

I've seen a number of references like this. I believe one of the more notable ones if from the last Transformers movie where there's literally a brony scientist who creates a large Rainbow Dash vinyl figure toy that has the ability to morph into a plasma rifle. It's quite obvious of how an MLP product would be featured in a Transformers movie as both MLP and Transformers are trademarks of Hasbro! :)

Gravity Falls had an episode called The Last Mablecorn and in it we meet a character named Celestabellebethabell who I am pretty sure is a reference to MLP, given how the comics even had a character reference Mable Pines from Gravity Falls.

Image result for celestabellebethabelle gravity fall

Image result for maybelle mlp

4 hours ago, Techno Universal said:

I've seen a number of references like this. I believe one of the more notable ones if from the last Transformers movie where there's literally a brony scientist who creates a large Rainbow Dash vinyl figure toy that has the ability to morph into a plasma rifle. It's quite obvious of how an MLP product would be featured in a Transformers movie as both MLP and Transformers are trademarks of Hasbro! :)

I remembered this scene and it was probably the only good thing that occur during that movie. I remember the audience chuckling towards the scene at the sight of Rainbow Dash turning into a weapon.  

I just looked up the Transformers clip on Youtube. Pretty funny, although I couldn't care less about Transformers :D

Anyone cared to figure out to get to the brony section in Disobey Me? I'm too lazy to find it out myself and couldn't dig up any information online D: