Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is advertising for the movie poorly handled?

ManaMinori

Let's face it, the success of this movie will largely be determined by the sales of the merchandise that we are being flooded with before it hits theatres, just like the series is determed by its toy sales, rather than viewer count.  With that said, I feel like Hasbro, while hitting the merch hard to its audience, isn't being managed properly. This movie is introducing several new characters, but merch of them is scarce. To my knowledge there is only 1 inch brushable of Skystar, a Queen Novo that you can only get in a $100 set, with pufferfish Spike, and 1 version of Caeleano and Capper in  GoH pack, whle basically all the rest is 100 more variants of the 1000 variants of the mane 6, again.  The other gens had far more range of focus spread between its characters, rather than 99% focus on its main 6 or 7 characters,  so I don't understand why that's all g4 is, and how it has been successful marketing only the mane 6 99% of the time. 

Does the way that advertising for the movie is being handled need adjustment? Should the celeb characters be getting more product placement? Is it fair that the only Queen Novo we might get is out of a $100 playset? 

When I first saw the title of this thread I was like What advertising?

Because honestly, all we've got so far is a teaser, a trailer and maybe a couple of toy announcements. (And some prequel comics, as far as I know?) Meanwhile, that new Minions movie has been advertised for MONTHS and the ads are everywhere. EVERYWHERE. :okiedokieloki:

My coworkers' kids, girls aged 4 and 8 are devoted MLP fans and even they - the target audience - have no idea about the movie coming out. It's really upsetting. :(

• Brohoof 1

I imagine it will ramp up a bit as we get closer to the release date, they will send out in-store standalones, and so forth. Not too much mileage in spending on advertising months before, if the target market is likely to get frustrated at a long wait for the movie to hit the cinema...

(edited)
9 minutes ago, Merion said:

When I first saw the title of this thread I was like What advertising?

Because honestly, all we've got so far is a teaser, a trailer and maybe a couple of toy announcements. (And some prequel comics, as far as I know?) Meanwhile, that new Minions movie has been advertised for MONTHS and the ads are everywhere. EVERYWHERE. :okiedokieloki:

My coworkers' kids, girls aged 4 and 8 are devoted MLP fans and even they - the target audience - have no idea about the movie coming out. It's really upsetting. :(

Thing you need to realize: Hasbro is a a toy company. They're going to promote the toys for the movie first, hardest, and better than a studio like Pixar, who has a main goal of advertising for the movie alone.   Hasbro is advertising the movie through toys, books, comics, and other means, not solely on the movie's animation through commercials and billboards.

do you think a 4-8 ear old will have enough patience to wait for the movie, and stay hyped for it, if commercials came out now, and the movie is in October? 

Edited by Nightmare Muffin

5 hours ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

do you think a 4-8 ear old will have enough patience to wait for the movie, and stay hyped for it, if commercials came out now, and the movie is in October? 

My knowledge on the subject is limited, but from what I've seen, most animated movies don't show strong, "in your face" kind of advertisement until a month or less before the movie releases. Most of the time, I see a handful of merch, and ads. Then, when the movie is around the corner, is when I see the stuff everywhere. I know because shortly after the ads and merch boom, the movie is already in theaters :huh: 

Like I've stated, I don't know much, I only state from experience, and makes sense, because I don't see the target audience having much patience waiting for the movie. We are still over two months before the US theatrical release, that's too much for a kid

• Brohoof 1

Well, until the movie comes out and we can see how well it does at the box office, we can't really say for certain how well or poorly handled the advertising has been.

Yes,  yes, and more yes. very little advertising so far, and no trailers in movies.
I'm hoping the movie is able to succeed anyways and that hasbro can compensate with a strong late advertising campaign (lots of commercials and ads elsewhere), but they've been very poor so far, they should have had Trailers in Despicable me or cars 3 to get the word out to the target audience.

2 minutes ago, heavens-champion said:

From what I've heard, advertising is Lionsgate's greatest weakness.

Heck yes it is!!!

As for the advertising thing, I agree that it wasn't really handled well. The trailers in my opinion focuses too much on the comedy and too little on the plot. Also, as far as I know they don't advertise the movie in theaters or on the Hasbro channel all that much. 

3 hours ago, PuddingPonyPal said:

Heck yes it is!!!

As for the advertising thing, I agree that it wasn't really handled well. The trailers in my opinion focuses too much on the comedy and too little on the plot. Also, as far as I know they don't advertise the movie in theaters or on the Hasbro channel all that much. 

Makes you wonder who's in charge of advertising it, and whether or not they should be fired.

• Brohoof 1

5 minutes ago, heavens-champion said:

This really begs the question...

WHAT MOVIE COMPANY DOESN'T WANT TO ADVERTISE THEIR MOVIES?! It's ridiculous, once you think about it.

Maybe one that considers the movie marketing for their toy line and doesn't see a need to market their marketing? :D

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, MAIKUN said:

What about Zootopia and Roadside Romeo? Did these movies flopped or what?

I dunno about Roadside Romeo, but I haven't seen much of Zootopia before shortly after it was released. But I'm with many of these folks, I think it's a missed opportunity they've hardly shown the trailers in theaters considering the next animated movie is Lego Ninjago, which comes mere weeks before the pony movie. I hope they remedy this by showcasing the trailer in TV or something soon :unsure: