Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should Big Mac move off the farm?

ManaMinori

1 hour ago, ggg-2 said:

That was technically sexual harassment. NO girl in their right mind should ever accept that.

I agree with you completely and that is one of the reasons I hate that episode. I don't hate the idea of the relationship though. Again, my real world experience have proven that even bad early encounters can be overcome if the people are right ... and Big Mac isn't a dick. 

1 hour ago, ggg-2 said:

"Hire help"? That was a scenario to try and help Rarity feel better and it was Granny Smith in a wig. FIM isn't a show that puts romance at the foreground, except for TWO examples.

Two things, farms hire help all the time. My mother's side and my wife's family have farms in Pennsylvania and Maine respectively. Saying hiring help is a bad idea is just plain silly. And note that when Applejack delivered the line it was with the assumption that the ruse would work. Think about that ... think carefully about that. You don't make a visual and meaningful reference to something you thing is going to be effective if it's disingenuous to you ... not if you are the Element of Honesty. 

Secondly, where is there any written rule anywhere that says they cap romantic couples? You mentioned two example and they are hardly foreground. But ... if you count them as foreground ... you have to now add Bright Mac and Pear Butter since that is a big legacy couple that offers a lot of direct insight to main characters. You also need to add another ... SugarMac is official ... they are courting. They are going to progress that relationship, whether you like it or not. Why? Because the show runners like it. FOUR. There are four lights!

I'm aware I'm being smug here, but the level of vitriol over something insignificant is ridiculous. You engaged me ... and you engaged me with a whole lot of sodium over what basically amounts to nothing -- complete with some edgy opening line designed to be a self indulgent jab just to get your your 'feel good' going in your brain. Your arguments are not very compelling and are far from effective. I was able offer a rebuttal them as casually as I switch on a light. 

There is a better way of addressing your issues narratively, and I could do it for you, but I'm a proponent of encouraging others to dig deeper and bring out their best. Feel free to continue, I'm certain you can find a better argument and method that SugarMac is a bad idea. That Big Mac moving is a bad idea. Challenge me son. Bring your A game.

29 minutes ago, Jeric said:

I agree with you completely and that is one of the reasons I hate that episode. I don't hate the idea of the relationship though. Again, my real world experience have proven that even bad early encounters can be overcome if the people are right ... and Big Mac isn't a dick. 

Two things, farms hire help all the time. My mother's side and my wife's family have farms in Pennsylvania and Maine respectively. Saying hiring help is a bad idea is just plain silly. And note that when Applejack delivered the line it was with the assumption that the ruse would work. Think about that ... think carefully about that. You don't make a visual and meaningful reference to something you thing is going to be effective if it's disingenuous to you ... not if you are the Element of Honesty. 

Secondly, where is there any written rule anywhere that says they cap romantic couples? You mentioned two example and they are hardly foreground. But ... if you count them as foreground ... you have to now add Bright Mac and Pear Butter since that is a big legacy couple that offers a lot of direct insight to main characters. You also need to add another ... SugarMac is official ... they are courting. They are going to progress that relationship, whether you like it or not. Why? Because the show runners like it. FOUR. There are four lights!

I'm aware I'm being smug here, but the level of vitriol over something insignificant is ridiculous. You engaged me ... and you engaged me with a whole lot of sodium over what basically amounts to nothing -- complete with some edgy opening line designed to be a self indulgent jab just to get your your 'feel good' going in your brain. Your arguments are not very compelling and are far from effective. I was able offer a rebuttal them as casually as I switch on a light. 

There is a better way of addressing your issues narratively, and I could do it for you, but I'm a proponent of encouraging others to dig deeper and bring out their best. Feel free to continue, I'm certain you can find a better argument and method that SugarMac is a bad idea. That Big Mac moving is a bad idea. Challenge me son. Bring your A game.

Ya know what? Buck it. You hate Big Mac so much you want him to move away with his boring girlfriend and never be seen again? Fine. What the buck ever. Rarity is your favorite character right? Fine, let's see the writers give HER a love interest that she might move away with and never be seen again and see how YOU like the thought of it.

20 minutes ago, ggg-2 said:

Ya know what? Buck it. You hate Big Mac so much you want him to move away with his boring girlfriend and never be seen again? Fine. What the buck ever. Rarity is your favorite character right? Fine, let's see the writers give HER a love interest that she might move away with and never be seen again and see how YOU like the thought of it.

I enjoy the show, but it sure as hell won't have the effect you think it will or should. If every episode going forward is garbage and I don't like it ... I'll stop watching it and focus on the parts of the show I do like. I am a Star Wars fan ... not everything that comes out of that universe has been stellar ... some of it has been shit. I shrug it off and move on. 

Why in heavens name would I honestly be emotionally impacted in such a way by any relationship on the show? It's a cartoon! I have had a real honest to goodness romance that give a Nicholas Sparks book/movie a run for his money. Read my blog man ... that's reality! That's real love. I don't need to live vicariously through an animated show ... I had an epic love story that destroys anything this show could do. Perfect Pear is amazing and I'll always sing it's praises ... but it still won't hold a candle to Jess and Joe. I also got to spend a weekend with an Admin on here and her husband. That is equally a powerful love story for the ages. I am also familiar with Batbrony and his love and that has destiny written all over it. L'amore!

Perspective is important man. Really. You get that and life will work out happier for you, I think. 

And for the record ... I adore Big Mac as well as the entire Apple family. 

• Brohoof 1

• 4 years later...

I would say that he loves the farm and Sugar Belle equally, so to give up one or the other would be a choice that he could not make. Why can't Sugar Belle give up her village to move to the farm with Big Mac? Because she might love both equally as well.

• Brohoof 1

I feel like most farm characters act like the rats from Ratatouille.

"We don't leave our nests, we make them bigger."

Not only is it more sensible to have more laborers on the farm (Sugar Belle) and keep the current ones, there wouldn't really be a need for Big Mac in the village other than to do some odd job construction projects every now and then.