Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should Big Mac move off the farm?

ManaMinori

Status quo needs more flipping upside down. Now that Big Mac is in love with Sugar Belle, should he follow in his father's hoofsteps and choose love over family, moving to Our Town, while arranging for Flim and Flam to work Sweet Apple Acres in his place? I think this could be a good plan, as it would allow the brothers to live a more honest means of life, bury the hatchet with the Apple family, allow for more Big Belle episodes with them living together (or closer, being in the same town), and more.

• Brohoof 2

AT THE END OF THE SHOW! I mean Big Mac was always around in the series, so having him leave in the middle wouldn't be right. So this happened at the final season, it would make sense!

• Brohoof 2

If they do something like this it should be done later rather than sooner.

It would be a great way to develop the little village and having another branch of the apple family growing in Equestria.

Although I would remove the FlimFlam idea to set a scenario in which all the apple family would need development:

- Applejack having to run the farm with Apple Bloom's (physical) help only.

- Apple Bloom going from little helper to full responsible farm pony.

- Big Mac having to grow an orchard from scratch!

- Granny Smith having to help both farms (one with her usual duties and the other with all her experience during the foundation of Sweet Apple Acres and Ponyville).

Spoiler

- Grand Pear would also be helpful to both ends with his experience and teaching the rest of them to grow a pear orchard.

So, for all this wishing list to happen, it would have to pass a good amount of time, maybe making Mac moving after getting married to Sugar Belle a few years from season seven's present.

• Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, DonMaguz said:

If they do something like this it should be done later rather than sooner.

It would be a great way to develop the little village and having another branch of the apple family growing in Equestria.

Although I would remove the FlimFlam idea to set a scenario in which all the apple family would need development:

- Applejack having to run the farm with Apple Bloom's (physical) help only.

- Apple Bloom going from little helper to full responsible farm pony.

- Big Mac having to grow an orchard from scratch!

- Granny Smith having to help both farms (one with her usual duties and the other with all her experience during the foundation of Sweet Apple Acres and Ponyville).

Reveal hidden contents

- Grand Pear would also be helpful to both ends with his experience and teaching the rest of them to grow a pear orchard.

So, for all this wishing list to happen, it would have to pass a good amount of time, maybe making Mac moving after getting married to Sugar Belle a few years from season seven's present.

I wasn't proposing it be soon. It is way too early, as he's still crushing and trying to woo her. Marrying and moving in is too soon. For now, moving into his own place in her village would be a start to getting used to life without his family and farming life. Maybe he could be a repair/woodworking pony to pay bills. 

I don't think Apple Bloom would be interested in running the farm. She has helped AJ when she was asked, but her interest is helping fillies get and understand their marks

14 hours ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

while arranging for Flim and Flam to work Sweet Apple Acres in his place?

No. First off, those two have no intention of ever really burying the hatchet and living an honest life. Viva Las Pegasus has them explicitly going back to their scamming ways after helping Applejack and Fluttershy do something good.

Further, Big Mac moving away would mean a loss in heavy physical labor, so there are probably other ponies better suited to replace him then the ones who specialize in selling things (and seem to be lankier than ponies normally are).

This sounds vaguely like something @Dark Qiviut and I discussed at length one time. Yes I would like to Mac eventually decide to move to The Town. First things first though ... make SugarMac go through the evolution of a relationship. I want to see courtship, engagement, this concept get floated creating brief moments of sadness with the Apple clan. It should conclude with a wedding and them moving to tie up this arc. 

Wedding should be in the same spot as that one place where that one thing happened this Saturday. ;)

How about that. Bad tense that actually makes sense. 

While I think that Flim and Flam are bad picks, finding a replacement farm hand would make for a great episode. 

• Brohoof 1

16 hours ago, ShootingStar159 said:

I'd like to see this happen, I've always wondered where the ponies in the village got there food, be nice to see Big Mac start a new life, and a new orchard,with Sugar Belle.

Wouldn't Marble Pie be jealous tho? I mean, I know their relationships were only temporary in Hearthbreakers, but what about Marble Pie?

43 minutes ago, Jon the Bronynerd said:

Wouldn't Marble Pie be jealous tho? I mean, I know their relationships were only temporary in Hearthbreakers, but what about Marble Pie?

There was never a romantic relationship between Big Mac and Marble Pie, they met each other, they were teamed up, they maybe didn't even speak to the other at all (a meaningful conversation at least) and they both blushed out of shyness.

Big Mac confirmed Sugar Belle to be his first crush without being under the effects of a magical potion.

• Brohoof 1

Thinking about it, it would be a neat conclusion to Big Mac's arc to finally see him take control of his own destiny by doing something like moving away from the farm. There has always been a sense with Big Mac that there is far more to him than he lets on. On the outside he is quiet and reserved and accepts his lot in life without complaint, but we've seen how he literally dreams of becoming an alicorn princess and let's not forget how he relished temporarily being able to role-play as somepony other than himself in Brotherhooves Social. In reality however, this is still only a fantasy and he seems resigned to his fate on the farm, but with Sugar Belle that could yet change.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Jon the Bronynerd said:

they were never attracted to each other, contrary to popular belief. Marble was as a loss for words and blushing throughout the entire episode- and not just around Big Mac. Itwas out of embarrassment, not attraction.

1 hour ago, Midnight Chimes said:

Thinking about it, it would be a neat conclusion to Big Mac's arc to finally see him take control of his own destiny by doing something like moving away from the farm. There has always been a sense with Big Mac that there is far more to him than he lets on. On the outside he is quiet and reserved and accepts his lot in life without complaint, but we've seen how he literally dreams of becoming an alicorn princess and let's not forget how he relished temporarily being able to role-play as somepony other than himself in Brotherhooves Social. In reality however, this is still only a fantasy and he seems resigned to his fate on the farm, but with Sugar Belle that could yet change.

I like that you brought in his daydreams (or dreams) of becoming an alicorn princess. Honestly, I see this as a inner desire of his to want to be looked up to and appreciated like Luna/ Sunbutt/ Twilight/ Cadance/ Flurry Heart are, to be more than he is resigned to be on the farm, to make a difference in ponies lives- all which could be possible if he were to take the reigns, so to speak, and leave the farm. Sugar already feels that way about him, though his own sisters don't. He could make a big impact with the other citizens of Our Tow as well- since they are literally out in the middle of nowhere, and have to rely on Ponyville- which is probably is closest neighbor- for exported goods, then having a farm pony cultivate an orchard for them would be good for them.

Apart of Flim Flam living in Sweet Apple Acres, I think that would be a good plot of Big Mac deciding between Sunny I MEAN: Sugar Belle, or staying in the farm. You know, the Apples' plot always has something to do with the farm or the family, but it'll be interesting to see if one has to choose the family or his/her own happiness. 

I mean it might be hard given Mac,  runs the farm if AJ is around and does all the hard work!    It would be nice to see him take a bit of his own life and start up his own farm with Belle and make a family!  Still I don't think the writers will do such a thing sadly given he is a 2ed cannon.   They have let Mac grow a bit in speaking his voice and stance and find love and that kind of thing!  So I think we should be happy with what we have for now!

Let's put it this way: when Sugar Belle and the other equal ponies were first introduced, they all decided to stay in the village even after their cutie marks were restored because, in Night Glider's own words, it's their home. When someone puts down roots (to use a tried and true countryism) chances are, they're not looking to uproot anytime soon. Same thing for Big Mac. He was born, raised and grew up in Ponyville. As a matter of fact, his family has been there literally since the town's founding, and if Perfect Pear's implications are anything to go on, Bright Mac and Pear Butter are likely buried there. Would you want to leave all that behind?

Edited by ggg-2

On 31-7-2017 at 11:33 AM, Crystal Peppermint said:

Big mac and Sugar belle could move to the old barn from the Pears.

I think the pear farm is gone. :grin:

Yeah, definitly. Big Belle is so sweet, or she must come to ponyville and help mrs cake or something. The distance between the two is just to far.

• 1 month later...
On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 3:36 PM, Jeric said:

This sounds vaguely like something @Dark Qiviut and I discussed at length one time. Yes I would like to Mac eventually decide to move to The Town. First things first though ... make SugarMac go through the evolution of a relationship. I want to see courtship, engagement, this concept get floated creating brief moments of sadness with the Apple clan. It should conclude with a wedding and them moving to tie up this arc. 

Wedding should be in the same spot as that one place where that one thing happened this Saturday. ;)

How about that. Bad tense that actually makes sense. 

While I think that Flim and Flam are bad picks, finding a replacement farm hand would make for a great episode. 

So, basically screw the farm and screw his own family. Big Mac ever leaving the farm would be highly detrimental. If that happened, Applejack would be the only able-bodied pony on the farm, as Granny is too old and Apple Bloom is too young. And as stated very early on, "One pony plus HUNDREDS of apple trees just doesn't add up." Big Mac himself said that. Face it, Sugar Belle needs to go for the farm's own good.

52 minutes ago, ggg-2 said:

So, basically screw the farm and screw his own family.

Dude you got it all wrong. The Apple Family is traditionally one based on expansion. It's why they are all over Equestria and this is completely canon. A real world application of this is how a parent works to see their child is happy and prosperous in their own dreams. If I laid a guilt trip like that on my kids that would make me one shitty Dad and just as horrible a human being. On a personal note you sound like my mother-in-law who did everything possible to stand in the way of my relationship, engagement, and marriage. Guess what? The good guys won. I get this is just a show, and you are letting your bias against a character get in the way of logic, but the possibility that you might one day apply that to actual advice and judgement in reality ... holy shit is that an unhealthy and domineering approach to family. 

Also, the last episode just dropped a little tidbit. They can hire help. It isn't all on Applejack. 

52 minutes ago, ggg-2 said:

Face it, Sugar Belle needs to go for the farm's own good.

I'm officially going on the record and predicting a wedding by the end of the series. I've bookmarked this thread for when this happens. 

1 hour ago, Jeric said:

Dude you got it all wrong. The Apple Family is traditionally one based on expansion. It's why they are all over Equestria and this is completely canon. A real world application of this is how a parent works to see their child is happy and prosperous in their own dreams. If I laid a guilt trip like that on my kids that would make me one shitty Dad and just as horrible a human being. On a personal note you sound like my mother-in-law who did everything possible to stand in the way of my relationship, engagement, and marriage. Guess what? The good guys won. I get this is just a show, and you are letting your bias against a character get in the way of logic, but the possibility that you might one day apply that to actual advice and judgement in reality ... holy shit is that an unhealthy and domineering approach to family. 

Also, the last episode just dropped a little tidbit. They can hire help. It isn't all on Applejack. 

I'm officially going on the record and predicting a wedding by the end of the series. I've bookmarked this thread for when this happens. 

"Hire help"? That was a scenario to try and help Rarity feel better and it was Granny Smith in a wig. FIM isn't a show that puts romance at the foreground, except for TWO examples. I've said before that Sugar Belle has poor standards, and Hard To Say Anything proves this after she actually did something smart by turning away both suitors after what they did, only to take Big Mac back after he fixed up her shop, which he entered WITHOUT her permission, even ignoring the episode's hammock scene. That was technically sexual harassment. NO girl in their right mind should ever accept that.

Edited by ggg-2