Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Season 7- Should I care?

uglybad

I eagerly awaited the Season 7 premiere ever since it was announced. I had high hopes after the Season 6 finale, since I liked how the writers built upon background characters that we really didn't know much about. Season 6 premiere was a bit lackluster too but the subsequent episodes made up for it.

So the S7 premiere aired and I watched it... and I wasn't impressed. This is the first premiere to be a single episode, and it doesn't carry any sort of weight with it. Every premiere up until now has been a two-parter with stakes much higher than most other episodes in the series; a villain is introduced, they mess stuff up, and they are eventually put away. Even if there isn't a obvious villain, there was still a plot to care about. What did S7E01 offer? "ughh idk what to doooo such a hard decision" That was it. I watched the next two episodes, but I don't even remember them; they didn't stick with me in any way. I stopped tuning in and I haven't since.

So my question to you is; Should I care about Season 7? Is there any reason for me to start watching the show again? Are there any "must-see" episodes you can recommend so I can skip over the rest? If you want to share your opinion with me, please do so; I need input.

While season 7 isn't perfect, it has two of my top favorite episodes in the entire show, we get to meet some particular ponies that were great. Personally, I think Season 7 is highly worth it, better than season 6 at this point I'd say. To me, one episode being a disappointment isn't enough to just outright abandon the rest.

• Brohoof 2

In my humble opinion, episode 1 was the weakest episode of the entire season. Season 7 has been by far my favorite season so far, with several episodes that I absolutely LOVED. Give it a chance, and you'll enjoy it.

• Brohoof 3

I guess first impressions aren't everything, huh? These are some great responses. I'll give the later episodes a chance.

Thanks for the feedback.

• Brohoof 5

Kinda weird how Season 7's premiere left such a bad taste for so many people, I think. It's a more relaxed Slice of life episode, rather than an epic adventurous two-parter, but most episodes of this show are single slice of life episodes. I thought the first 3 episodes of the season were all really good. That said, I think the season has mostly only gotten better since then, with a few of my new favorite episodes in the show, and only a few episodes I'd consider somewhat lackluster, but honestly still pretty decent overall.

• Brohoof 3

I dunno, I thought the first episodes were pretty solid and a nice change of pace. Yeah there are some weak sauce episodes, but fewer compared to last season. 

The first two, top bolt, the celestia/luna episode and the upcoming (if you're in the u.s.) discord and apple family episodes are must watch and highlights of this season.

• Brohoof 3

I think "All Bottled Up" could be considered a bit underwhelming. I mean I could watch Trixie be terrible all day, but even then I felt the episode was a bit loosely plotted.

The fact that I then adored "Flurry of Emotions", "Rock Solid Friendship" and "Fluttershy Leans in" got me really invested in the show again though. (warning, a lot of people disagree about the first and last)

6 minutes ago, BasementSparkle said:

Kinda weird how Season 7's premiere left such a bad taste for so many people, I think. It's a more relaxed Slice of life episode, rather than an epic adventurous two-parter, but most episodes of this show are single slice of life episodes. I thought the first 3 episodes of the season were all really good. That said, I think the season has mostly only gotten better since then, with a few of my new favorite episodes in the show, and only a few episodes I'd consider somewhat lackluster, but honestly still pretty decent overall.

It's not so much that I disliked the first episode, but that compared to some of the amazing episodes this season has brought, it doesn't quite compare. It was definitely a step in a different direction, and that threw some people off. But I definitely love the direction it's been going.

Season 7 so far, in my opinion, has had nothing game changing for the series.

Nothing that impacts the whole series. This may be because of the movie putting the series on hold.

However, it has been a very good season in my opinion. Great episodes, only a few weak.

Edited by Firedog
  • Brohoof 1

Just now, ShadowDash13 said:

It's not so much that I disliked the first episode, but that compared to some of the amazing episodes this season has brought, it doesn't quite compare. It was definitely a step in a different direction, and that threw some people off. But I definitely love the direction it's been going.

It felt kinda like the Crystaling. I love the episode in retrospect, but after months of waiting you build up expectations you know?

• Brohoof 1

Well, if it's not one of your favorites that's fine at all, but it's still a good episode. It's not really a "Step in a different" direction at all, just a different sort of season premiere than what we're used to, really only affects those first two episodes.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, BasementSparkle said:

Well, if it's not one of your favorites that's fine at all, but it's still a good episode. It's not really a "Step in a different" direction at all, just a different sort of season premiere than what we're used to, really only affects those first two episodes.

I meant more of a step towards the slice of life kind of episodes they've been making recently. I did enjoy it, and I have consistently enjoyed the episodes since. Like @Philweasel was saying, it just through some people off because it wasn't what they had been expecting.

I've not enjoyed most of it very much, but like all later-period MLP seasons, there's still definite highlights, and others seem to have liked a fair few episodes much more than I did. Plus, it really starts to pick up around the latest episodes, so there's something to look forward to. 

I meant more of a step towards the slice of life kind of episodes they've been making recently. I did enjoy it, and I have consistently enjoyed the episodes since. Like @Philweasel was saying, it just through some people off because it wasn't what they had been expecting.

That's not really a new direction though? The majority of the show since season one is honestly what I'd describe as "Slice of Life", with some adventuring stuff thrown in, usually most heavily in the two-parter's. I'm not sure why others would expect something else now.

Edited by BasementSparkle

2 minutes ago, Philweasel said:

It felt kinda like the Crystaling. I love the episode in retrospect, but after months of waiting you build up expectations you know?

In fact, I think part of why I loved "The Crystalling" so much is that I actually had very low expectations after having largely not enjoyed season 5.

Just now, BasementSparkle said:

That's not really a new direction though? The majority of the show since season one is honestly what I'd describe as "Slice of Life", with some adventuring stuff thrown in, usually most heavily in the two-parter's.

Yes, but typically there has been some sort of underlying plot for the season, like The Gala in Season 1 or the box in Season 4. Something the season is leading towards. We haven't really had that this season. Which really makes me wonder what the finale's gonna be like.

But that is a discussion for another thread.

27 minutes ago, ShadowDash13 said:

Yes, but typically there has been some sort of underlying plot for the season, like The Gala in Season 1 or the box in Season 4. Something the season is leading towards. We haven't really had that this season. Which really makes me wonder what the finale's gonna be like.

But that is a discussion for another thread.

Not really, Season 2 doesn't have any kind of underlying plot, neither does Season 3 really, Twilight's alicornification is sort of hinted at in the premiere two-parter with the test and the book at the end, but not really brought up again at all until the finale, and Season 5 had the Starlight plot, but outside of the Two-parter's, all there really was inbetween were two sightings of Starlight hiding in the background. Season 6 didn't have a super clear arc either, outside of Starlight's character development, and the Changeling thing, which was only very vaguely hinted at in the premiere, then brought up in one episode with Thorax before the finale.

@uglybad I'd recommend that you keep watching it, and if you think that an episode or two may hinder your interest maybe wait until the whole is out and marathon it in one or two weekends (if you have the time, that is). That's what I do with shows I like overall, but in which I know there could be episodes I dislike.

Edited by DonMaguz

Nah, Celestia Advice & All Bottled Up are the reasons i care about Season 7, they gave me a good impression of the season (unlike S6 premiere which is a royal disappointment), then some mixtures between bad and good episodes drive me crazy but i am a loyalist so...

There are still good and amazing episodes the same ratio with S6 first half, even few of them are considered the best by fans. I wont name some specific ones because they are my personal tastes (Celestial Advice is my favorite), and hying up is a good way to massive disappointment, just check some ratings or read some synopsis you like or just watch them for godsake. You dont need this thread anyway. Do whatever you feel like.

5 minutes ago, BasementSparkle said:

Not really, Season 2 doesn't have any kind of underlying plot, neither does Season 3 really, Twilight's alicornification is sort of hinted at in the premiere two-parter with the test and the book at the end, but not really brought up again at all until the finale, and Season 5 had the Starlight plot, but outside of the Two-parter's, all there really was inbetween were two sightings of Starlight hiding in the background. Season 6 didn't have a super clear arc either, outside of Starlight's character development, and the Changeling then, which was only very vaguely hinted at in the premiere, then brought up in one episode with Thorax before the finale.

Hmm... I guess you're right on that one. I don't know. This season just feels a little different then the first 6. Not a bad different, but different nonetheless. Either way, it's been an amazing season.

3 minutes ago, ShadowDash13 said:

Hmm... I guess you're right on that one. I don't know. This season just feels a little different then the first 6. Not a bad different, but different nonetheless. Either way, it's been an amazing season.

"It just feels different" is something I've seen said for every season since Season 2, I saw it for 3, and 4, and 5, and 6 as well. I think every season of this show feels a little different, it's part of what makes them unique. People who end up liking the Season probably just get more used to it and forget how "Different" it felt at first.

I agree it's been an amazing season though. I can see it being one of my new favorites:catface:

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, ShadowDash13 said:

Honestly I won't judge Season 7 as a whole until the other half airs. 

While "Hard to Say Anything" was pretty bad to a Disney fairy tale-loving guy like me, it still had some good moments in it.

I really loved " A Royal Problem" and "The Perfect Pear"

Honestly, going by the synopsis of several upcoming episodes, I'm hoping to get at 3 excellent episodes in the 2nd half.