129 users have voted

1. 1. What did you think?

• That was like a pack of flyders. Horrifying. -_-
    • That wasn't bad...just boring.
    • Meh; average.
    • I enjoyed it; not perfect, but fun.
    • THAT WAS LEGENDARY!!!!

11 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

That doesn't really fit unless scoots was excluded - when she referenced the "last camping trip" RD pointed out that she had a "big sister" this time.

It can still fit but in a wholly different way. This Christmas pay really really close attention when people reference previous Christmas memories. Person 'x' mentions something that happened, person 'y' mentioned how it's different this year due to somethings absence or the addition of something new, but ignores the fact that it was also different in the same way in the intervening years. Similar concept in this case when one person applied a fact based on a different time to a present example. I admit it's poor recognition of continuity and not quite the best example of tight writing, but I was speaking purely in universe as an explanation of how the line could still fit without breaking continuity. 

• Brohoof 2

Maybe I would enjoy this a lot more if I had read the comics about these characters. As an introduction, however, this isn't so exciting. Not too surprising, since the comics are much more versatile than the show, so are more likely to pull something half-interesting out of MLP's generic, uninteresting lore. But, y'know, it's still My Little Pony. It's kinda hard to make pure, soulless world building interesting when you don't have an interesting world to build. 

Just now, Batbrony said:

I actually don't agree with that point you raise, at least not for this joke.  It didn't seem that gross or over-the-top to me, and I don't think it was the butt of the joke either; the butt of the joke was that Rainbow did something VERY impulsive for the sake of making a very minor point about her bravery (in the grand scheme of things) and may have gotten far more than she bargained for. ^_^  The show avoids gross out humor enough anyway that I think it can get a pass for doing it every now and then.

I agree with Jeric's point that the Rarity face from "Applejack's Day Off" was FAR more terrifying and out of place given that it was largely there just to be gross, not to make a particularly fun or clever joke.  Bucking nightmare fuel, that face!

To be honest, I almost never like it when the animators stretch faces in weird, unnatural ways; I didn't really register Rainbow's face being stung (though that's kinda gross), but the point where Scootaloo pried her mouth open was very irritating to me. 

• Brohoof 2

47 minutes ago, AlexanderThrond said:

It's all nice enough, really, except the main characterization, which seems to have jumped into caricature for the sake of bad humour and forced sweetness.

Mhm. Rainbow Dash was probably the worst of the main characters in this regard. The reminders that she has a large ego got really tiring and annoying.

• Brohoof 4

8 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

I'd still place it with Rarity's breakdown (if not better than it), because Fame is writing a serious story, yet treats her (real) horror as only a stupid joke.

I still have to disagree. Rainbow's face and Rarity's prune face were sight gags only minimally connected to elements of the character to be highlighted in that scene. 

Rarity's stress sewing face was in a response to a direct challenge to how she validates herself, and some of her core attributes. This has been a recurring theme for the character since season 1 and it's something that is so indwelt within her it's part of her identity. Having that challenge to something tied that closely to who you are (your identity) actually triggers the same part of the brain we feel physical pain in. That face was a perfect visual depiction of her emotional state. 

I also thought it was visually amusing, but I enjoy the psychology buried within it, especially when you learn that her orders are being cancelled. The cuts that Rarity took were soul deep (by design). 

• Brohoof 4

2 minutes ago, AlexanderThrond said:

Maybe I would enjoy this a lot more if I had read the comics about these characters. As an introduction, however, this isn't so exciting. Not too surprising, since the comics are much more versatile than the show, so are more likely to pull something half-interesting out of MLP's generic, uninteresting lore. But, y'know, it's still My Little Pony. It's kinda hard to make pure, soulless world building interesting when you don't have an interesting world to build. 

I don't think the LoM comics help - They skip over the "every filly knows" main legend, and do an "after they were famous" followup

2 minutes ago, AlexanderThrond said:

To be honest, I almost never like it when the animators stretch faces in weird, unnatural ways; I didn't really register Rainbow's face being stung (though that's kinda gross), but the point where Scootaloo pried her mouth open was very irritating to me. 

Apparently some of the fans were complaining the didn't get so much slapstick and stuff these days, so the animators are catering to that.  I think Pinkie's slam-roll with Twi and Twi getting smushed by a door (and possibly Rarity's stressout face) in F&M was for similar reasons. It's all very meta...

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, Jeric said:

I think it's safe to assume it was him since Dragons are extremely long lived. 

Good point, but it still strikes me as just a design rehash.

Edited by A.V.

Just now, King Clark said:

Mhm. Rainbow Dash was probably the worst of the main characters in this regard. The reminders that she has a large ego got really tiring and annoying.

Would she even be so boastful at this point in the show? It's like nobody involved knows how to write her anymore. 

Just now, CypherHoof said:

Apparently some of the fans were complaining the didn't get so much slapstick and stuff these days, so the animators are catering to that.  I think Pinkie's slam-roll with Twi and Twi getting smushed by a door (and possibly Rarity's stressout face) in F&M was for similar reasons. It's all very meta...

I saw that thread pretty recently, whereas I rather doubt the animation was finished just last week. And, y'know, I like slapstick, but I also like it with a bit more pacing and wit. In recent years I feel the animators are prone to going overboard, and wish someone would just reject their ideas every once in a while. 

8 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

I don't think the LoM comics help - They skip over the "every filly knows" main legend, and do an "after they were famous" followup

That would still give the legends some emotional context to help me care.

I've never been so satisfied AND so disappointed all at the same time. I had pretty high expectations for this episode, as it featured something I was so looking forward. Well, Flash Magnus' and Mistmane's stories DEFINITELY met my expectations, also there were plenty of cute moments between the sisters, which are always welcomed by me...... but Rockhoof's story.... man that one has written "LAZY WRITING" all over on it. Heck we are at the levels of bull***t of Ash's fight against Tate and Liza in the Pokemon Anime in this one...

• Brohoof 1

17 minutes ago, King Clark said:

Honestly, you people constantly complaining about her "ego" is more annoying than her actual "ego". Just get over it. She has a lot of confidence. There's literally nothing wrong with that.

Also, you apparently didn't pay attention to her moments with Scootaloo. How can you not love her for that? Some people are absolutely souless, I swear.

Edited by bluseymoe
  • Brohoof 3

Just now, bluseymoe said:

Honestly, you people constantly complaining about her "ego" is more annoying than her actual "ego". Just get over it. She has a lot of confidence. There's literally nothing wrong with that.

Also, you apparently didn't pay attention to her moments with Scootaloo. She was the best of the three by far in this episode.

I liked some of her stuff with Scootaloo and always enjoy her love of danger, but I got kinda tired of hearing her talk about how awesome she is. I feel like she can express confidence without the self-aggrandizement, and that'd be more fun. 

I kinda felt like Scootaloo being afraid of everything was exaggerated, though; was it just me, or did she cower more than anyone else? 

• Brohoof 2

9 minutes ago, AlexanderThrond said:

Would she even be so boastful at this point in the show? It's like nobody involved knows how to write her anymore. 

I would argue that they do know how to write her because they intend to always show that she is supremely confident. Will she reign it in at times? Sure. Most times, no and they have given no indication of abandoning that element. 

Good for them on doubling down. At this point they should rightfully know that they aren't going to coax people entrenched in their view of a character, so give the characters fans what they actually enjoy about them. 

• Brohoof 3

20 minutes ago, AlexanderThrond said:

She does have a history of being confident enough to the point of boastful. The question is whether they balance her other traits, have others keep her accountable, and five her reason for her to act that way.

Here, it works. Although she's boastful, her actions carried consequences story- and character-wise. The other characters didn't let her totally get away with it (i.e., Rarity's sardonic stare). And she still cared for Scoots.

Edited by Dark Qiviut

8 minutes ago, bluseymoe said:

Also, you apparently didn't pay attention to her moments with Scootaloo. How can you not love her for that? Some people are absolutely souless, I swear.

You've got to be kidding me. So because she is very boastful and confident that means that it's good writing to bring it up every damn minute? It was unnecessary and obnoxious. We don't need to hear "look at me, I'm awesome" every time she speaks. You can make her look egotistical without doing any of that.

I never said that her entire characterization was bad. I liked the bits with Scootaloo as well. But that doesn't mean that I'm not going to point out the things that I have problems with.

• Brohoof 2

5 minutes ago, Jeric said:

I would argue that they do know how to write her because they intend to always show that she is supremely confident. Will she reign it in at times? Sure. Most times, no and they have given no indication of abandoning that element. 

Good for them on doubling down. At this point they should rightfully know that they aren't going to coax people entrenched in their view of a character, so give the characters fans what they actually enjoy about them. 

I am very fond of Rainbow, but I'm not super entertained by hearing her repeatedly talk about how great she is. I always perceived her character arc as leading to her becoming more self-aware and less boastful, expressing confidence and occasionally recklessness through action rather than through words. 

• Brohoof 2

The episode writer must have been from the new ones, as this was an uneventful episode and not much responsibility was needed to put it but it was better than other episodes where they just tell a story or nothing happens. It was interesting, especially in the end but let's get there from the start.

A side note: Aren't we seeing a lot of Rarity and AJ lately, also with the CMCs? RD and the others seem rare and is there anything we haven't seen AJ and Rarity doing yet.

The episode starts with Rainbow Dash almost about to eat very poisonous berries. This looks belittled a bit, like more danger than RD would have ever been into. Not sure if it was good set, imagine, a fruit does something that no villain did.

Interesting bugs - flyders or how were they called lol. That swarm of spiders could be disgusting to deal with outside, but they also sting or bite.

Come on I like RD and I didnt like seeing her all with bumps.

The camp stories were interesting, RD's story definitely was the best. Here are some things I also want to point out:

AJ's story - was that a viking story, or a mixture with Excalibur & King Arthur? I liked the plot, still.

Asian ponies? Where are they on the map? And notice the Asian unicorn ponies, how sharp and curved their horns are!

MLPFiM-Se7-ep159-CampfireTales.thumb.jpg.05f11464287e5f819b8c05ac49c158aa.jpg

Loved the ice vs fire snake spell, only I can't remember where I've seen this from. Props to the animators again.

MLPFiM-Se7-ep159-CampfireTales2.thumb.jpg.5925a114053b7270641859fd21ecd94c.jpg

RD's story was based on Hercules? I suppose the Dragon Lord Torch was put here just to represent the scary dragons. This scene here was great, loved it too.

MLPFiM-Se7-ep159-CampfireTales3.thumb.jpg.413b28d79b0308b63d9d3942e6dbf96a.jpg

Scootaloo's endless fear annoyed me a little, like grow up like your other two CMCs.

And now here comes the adventurous part and what they uncovered was great but how and where is it? This is where I have a remark. Apple Bloom just mindlessly jumps in the water and no one attempts to save her. Do they know for sure it is going somewhere out and not ending in the middle of a subterranean chasm filled with water? Just a recent RPG I play (an old one) has such a place.

How do they know the exit is not a huge waterfall they may not survive by just floating along the stream - this part was entirely not written well imo as, they just go without knowing and not a single precaution was used. Otherwise the place looks so interesting! 

MLPFiM-Se7-ep159-CampfireTales4.thumb.jpg.4651476943fc3224a76dc66899b4a921.jpg

Where do they appear? I did not hear the name well but somewhere in Cloudsdale?  - this is believable shortcut and the adventure part was good, just the going into the unknown felt rushed.

Not legendary episode, but awesome, I'd give it 5/5 for the nice places and stories.

Edited by ImpctR
  • Brohoof 2

12 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

She does have a history of being confident enough to the point of boastful. The question is whether they balance her other traits, have others keep her accountable, and five her reason for her to act that way.

Here, it works. Although she's boastful, her actions carried consequences story- and character-wise. The other characters didn't let her totally get away with it (i.e., Rarity's sardonic stare). And she still cared for Scoots.

Yes, they absolutely did show some of her good traits. However, I don't see how that makes her obnoxious and exaggerated boasting that we also saw in this episode any better. This is S7. I expect to see at least a bit of humbleness from her and at least some ability to not brag as much as she did.

Edited by King Clark

For fucks sake RD's ego is part of what makes her, and the show's already dedicated entire episodes to bashing her skull into a pile of glass just for having an inflated head. For once it's nice to see her get to show pride without the writers needing to shit on her for it, not to mention it had a purpose here(like calming Scootaloo)

Edited by Whompy Whomperson
  • Brohoof 3

An interesting episode that ties in with the Legends of Magic comics. A part of me feels that this episode was meant to be a form of advertising for said comics as the younger views are sure to want to learn more about these legends from the source material. I'm glad they provided voice acting during the stories--they didn't for the first one which was disappointing as I would have loved to have heard what Rockruff--there's a Pokémon with the same name--sounded like as both a young and adult pony. Oh, and I just adored all the callbacks to Sleepless in Ponyville.

• Brohoof 1

It was a slightly unusual episode, which is a good thing as I like it when they try something new. And as someone who liked Sleepless in Ponyville, I was hoping this would be pretty good, but I found it underwhelming. It was reasonably charming and gave me a few minor laughs, but it was neither funny enough, nor was the story engaging enough, to make it anything other than a mediocre episode that will become one of the lesser-remembered ones.

• Brohoof 3

Had some interesting world building, but the plot was meh at best. Still, for this episode it was clear that didn't really matter. Now I'm waiting for the other three legend's of magic to be explained. 

3 hours ago, CypherHoof said:

That doesn't really fit unless scoots was excluded - when she referenced the "last camping trip" RD pointed out that she had a "big sister" this time.

Do you mean Rainbow Dash was excluded? That is the easiest explanation, Scootaloo just went on a camping trip without Rainbow Dash. 

I didn't find this episode that compelling, it was alright and I liked the Mist Mane story but the other two and the plot line with the flyders that was happening in the real world felt a little boring (though as a history nerd I did enjoy the Nordic and Roman settings). It's probably because I haven't read the comics that everyone seems to be talking about, but this episode didn't really fly(der) with me.

Edited by Battenberg
  • Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, King Clark said:

Yes, they absolutely did show some of her good traits. However, I don't see how that makes her obnoxious and exaggerated boasting that we also saw in this episode any better. This is S7. I expect to see at least a bit of humbleness from her and at least some ability to not brag as much as she did.

It has nothing to do with the progress in the series, her boastfulness in this episode was just too forced. It just came across as unnatural, no matter how big her ego is. 

Edited by Ganondox
  • Brohoof 1