129 users have voted

1. 1. What did you think?

• That was like a pack of flyders. Horrifying. -_-
    • That wasn't bad...just boring.
    • Meh; average.
    • I enjoyed it; not perfect, but fun.
    • THAT WAS LEGENDARY!!!!

9 hours ago, StrawCherry said:

I really liked Scootaloo's line, "Big scary dragons… or more like Spike?" too much for some reason. :lol:

Will take her a while to be confident. :kindness:

Haven't watched, read some thoughts, so it seems somnambula isn't in this episode, which means there will be more episodes about the legends.

To those wondering what's the point, it's secret finale buildup. 

Seems like a pretty good episode though.

I really enjoyed this episode a lot. I like how the sisters' are having another camping trip. It's a pretty nice callback to "Sleepless in Ponyville." It's nice seeing how they all learned from their previous camping trip. I also like how Rainbow was able to reassure Scootaloo when she was feeling scared. I was scared and freaked out a bit when I saw the flyders. They looked just like spiders and I have a bad fear of them. I really liked the stories that Applejack, Rarity and Rainbow Dash had told the crusaders. When watching TV, I stumbled upon the MLP episode, "The Crystalling part 2." When watching a bit of the episode, I discovered that the legendary heroes were mentioned by Sunburst. I was surprised that they were referenced before this episode. I do remember Flash Magnus was mentioned in "The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows." Out of the mentioned legendary heroes, I would have to say my favorite is Mistmane. I like how the magic duel went and how she was able to turn things back to normal. I found it interesting that all the unicorn's horns in that story were curved. I only though King Sombra had that kind of design for his horn. My OC's horn is curved, so it was cool to see the pony design was not uncommon. I also enjoyed Rarity's shadow puppets and the ballerina Twilight reference. I also found Applebloom's enthusiasm towards Rockhoof's story to be hilarious, entertaining and awesome. I like how we got to see Torch in Flash Magnus' story. I also think that green dragon was also from the episode, "Owl's Well that Ends Well." If not, then it was a pretty cool call back to that episode. It was also cool how they got to their destination at the end of it all. All in all, I really liked this episode. I also hope we get to hear more about the legendary pony heroes sometime in the future. 

Isn't this actually ironicly?

Sweetie Bell: "The commander was right. You can't out fight them."

Rainbow Dash: "Yes, but you can out think them."

Rainbow Dash, the dumbest and most agressive pony of the mane 6 rather trust in her brains then in her muscles. :D When I watch it again I still laugh over it.  

No real change of opinion. I get that these stories are from the comics, but as depicted here, they just seem derivative of real-world myths without actually adding all that much to the show. Have come around slightly on the framing story, but it's still kinda flimsy.

Full review on my blog

On 8/28/2017 at 4:20 AM, Truffles said:

OK, that ref cracked me up silly. Thanks! :lol:

Yay!  I can now retire from the forums a happy pony.  (But no, I'm not really retiring.)  But really, seriously, it just makes my day when someone gets a laugh from one of my jokes.

On 8/28/2017 at 4:20 AM, Truffles said:

I enjoyed this one more on the second viewing. I had already given it a "liked" rating, but seeing how Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash really bonded after the last story really connected with me emotionally.

Their bonding was really sweet, wasn't it?  I really enjoyed that.  I liked that Rainbow was sensitive to Scoot's fears, and not just oblivious, as Rainbow can sometimes be.  (Maybe I said that already.   I forget.)

On 8/28/2017 at 4:37 AM, Dowlphin said:

Light-version of saving the day. Daylight saving if you will. :)

I liked Rarity's horn light.  Made me smile.  Not really sure why.  Your joke made me think of another crossover/reference.  So...um, well, here, I'll see your captioned pic and raise you one:

59a799263195c_TheLongDark.thumb.jpg.ab3529d08a9ffdfb3c78cc05236837c7.jpg

• Brohoof 1

It wasn't perfect, but it was ok and had some fun development! I liked the RD/S interaction, they're like, really sisters now. Also, I love how each of the cmcs experienced a subtle voice change, to compensate the fact that they are growing up. All in all, I liked it just fine.

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 0:07 AM, Justin_Case001 said:

Your joke made me think of another crossover/reference.  So...um, well, here, I'll see your captioned pic and raise you one:

Rarity would be horrified to have to trade her purple mane in for a white one, however. :)

• Brohoof 1

First things first, few people would say that Scootaloo is acting very out-of-character here.... but in all actuality it makes sense that she'd be freaked out from time to time, considering that the last time she came here she suffered from sleep deprivation but also nearly fell off a waterfall, it makes sense that she had a bit of PTSD, especially since she's still a child.

Plus it says wonders for her character development since she's not trying to play it cool this time and genuinely lets her fears be known, and seeing RD make an effort to comfort her and be a good big sister to her is just heartwarming.

Also the Fly-ders.... Christ, why do we need flying spiders!? What idiot thought that was a good idea!? What's the Discord?! I'll bet it was Discord!! Seriously, we need to exterminate those things immediately!

*AHEM*.... anyway, on to the stories, it actually brings to light what I personally love the most about this episode, for those of us IDW fans, this is the first time we ever see ANY characters from the comics make an appearance in the show! And the show does them justice of the highest caliber!

First off is the origin story of good old Shovel Knig-I mean Rockhoof, and man that was scrawny when he was young! But damn if he didn't have the determination to do what was right for his village! I mean, digging a giant trench all on his own despite the odds being against him? This guy's got some huge stones right here!

Not going to lie, at first I assumed it was his cutie mark story until I realized he already had it, this does raise some questions for me... exactly what did he hit that made him grow so quickly, an evolution stone?

Anyways, onto Rarity's story. There's another nice show of character development since she actually shows the ability to see beauty and everything, even things that are potentially ugly at first sight. Something I don't think season 1 Rarity has ever done... though I suspect that kind of mindset also comes from her repeatedly going it down to the Diamond Dog mines with Spike....

Also Rarity's shadow puppets.... HOW!? I think our fashionista has been hanging around Pinkie Pie too long...

Anyway, onto the tale of Mistmane, first off I have to say that I love the ancient Chinese setting, really sets the tone and mood of the story. When I heard Rarity's story, I can simply say that I didn't expect a Magic Duel to be in it... Especially one with magical fighting dragons! And the way she defeated Sable Spirit was both clever and humorous.

Sable Spirit: Ha! Missed!

Mistmane: Wasn't aiming at ya!

I really like this Mistmane character, she actually feels like a combination of both Twilight and Rarity, looking past ones villainous deeds to extend the hoof of friendship once more, and yet being so generous as to give up one's physical beauty restore the inner beauty to everything around her... very nice.

While I will admit Rainbow Dash causing a cave-in was a bit boneheaded on her part, they didn't really have any other options, not to mention the fact that those insects are apparently confirmed to EAT other ponies... seriously, those things need to be exterminated and fast!

And now we move on to my personal favorite story told by my personal favorite Pony! Flash Magnus (a possible ancestor of Flash Sentry) taking on not one but two dragons to save his comrades! Not only is this an amazingly action-packed story where we get to see Torch before his Dragon Lord days, but it's also a perfect blend of both military strategy, and another showcasing of friendship and true loyalty. With our man Magnus not only managing to hold his own for an extended amount of time, but also successfully lures them into a massive thundercloud and comes out on top! One of the best stories in my opinion!

And with the stories finished, our friends find their way out of the cave as well as a shortcut to the falls.

All Things Considered, Not a Bad episode! Is episodes like bees that prove that MLP is still a great show and other people who say it's in decline don't know what they're talking about.

I give it a 9.5/10!

• Brohoof 1

Nice relaxing and interesting episode! I really liked Rarity's story : D

Rainbow Dash tossing Scootaloo up in the air during that one part was so cute... She looked like a little orange teddy bear! And Rainbow treating her like a sister, telling her she could come closer, was also really adorable. I'm glad we got to see more of that.

• Brohoof 1

I thought this episode was... well, just okay. The visuals were pretty interesting along with the stories but overall it was kind of boring for me. We're introduced to creatures we'll probably never see again, there isn't really any character development in this episode, and it doesn't exactly serve a purpose. That's not really a bad thing but for me personally, I found it boring. The only story I found interesting was Rarity's (I really hope that did happen somewhere in Equestria's history) but for the other ones I just find them over-exaggerated and a repeat of the stories and fables I've heard about before. I think what I liked most about Rarity's story was that it showed beauty isn't everything and it's good to see Rarity understands this despite how she behaves at times.

It was nice to see Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo being more like sisters but, personally, I thought Scootaloo being afraid of almost every little thing felt forced and over exaggerated. I thought sleepless in ponyville was supposed to help her feel braver and safer because she knows Rainbow Dash has her back. Becuase of this, this episode feels like a big step back for Scootaloo. Or maybe I just interpreted her character wrong, I don't know but personally, I found Scootaloo panicking about everything to be annoying and it didn't feel like something she'd do. 

Overall it was an okay episode with some interesting visuals and some intriguing legends but personally, I just found it boring, though I can understand the appeal.

On 9/1/2017 at 11:42 AM, darknessrising24 said:

First things first, few people would say that Scootaloo is acting very out-of-character here.... but in all actuality it makes sense that she'd be freaked out from time to time, considering that the last time she came here she suffered from sleep deprivation but also nearly fell off a waterfall, it makes sense that she had a bit of PTSD, especially since she's still a child.

Plus it says wonders for her character development since she's not trying to play it cool this time and genuinely lets her fears be known, and seeing RD make an effort to comfort her and be a good big sister to her is just heartwarming.

Yeah, you do make a good point and it is truly in character. However, er, despite how much I want to look at it as good character development and being in character, I personally still found it rather annoying. Though possibly because I can be as panicked as Scootaloo can be at times and I know how much that can annoy others so, in turn, it annoys me. So, while it is good character development, I feel like my own personal experiences made it hard for me to look past it and, so, to me it was just annoying. You still make an excellent point though.

Edited by Butterquilt
Just fixing grammar and spelling errors.
  • Brohoof 1

I enjoyed this episode quite a bit, especially Rarity's story with Mist Mane. I felt some very Japanese themes there and I love Japan and anything to do with that culture, so kudos for making that world beautiful! I love how the unicorns have curved horns! I also like the Japanese dragon frost and flame fight! I feel this had one of the best messages that beauty can have a purpose especially when it makes other's happy and their lives better. Even though Mist Mane gave up her beauty, she gave others so much more in return. It was a good insight into Rarity's viewpoints. I had no idea Rarity could do shadow puppets that awesome! Where did she get this talent?

I do like AJ as she's an Earth pony and they tend to get the short end of the stick. What bothered me was Rock Hoof got his powers like all of a sudden. Was that magic? Was there some magic muscle drug? Was it metaphorical?

I found it interesting to see how scared Scootaloo was. Someone pointed out Rainbow Dash wasn't reacting to her having a panic attack, and I agree Rainbow should have done something. I would have liked to known more info on the Flyders or is this foreshadowing?

32 minutes ago, GoldenGumdrop said:

I found it interesting to see how scared Scootaloo was. Someone pointed out Rainbow Dash wasn't reacting to her having a panic attack, and I agree Rainbow should have done something.

Technically she did do something though, she comforted her when she needed it and told her story that helped her calm down. Also there's this little scene:

1522489.png

She knew exactly how she felt, hence why she did the best she could to make her happy.

• Brohoof 2

This episode didn't excite me in the least. I watched it only days ago, and my memory is already foggy regarding one of the tales. Felt very filler to have characters we've never heard any mention of before presented in a few minutes each. Not a horrible watch, but I probably won't be re-watching this one if I see it on.

• 3 weeks later...

While I didn't really like this episode, I did like the original landscapes and musics it had:

392671RockhoofsvolcanovillagehomeS7E16.p

758150MistmanesEasternvillagehomeS7E16.p

377874FullviewofWinsomeFallsS7E16.png

But yeah, that aside, it was quite boring...

Also, apparently Sweetie Belle knows a shield spell :o

Edited by Blobulle

Surprised at the reactions for this. I thought this episode was excellent. Very experimental. Surprising amount of action and diversity. The tail of Mist Maid could easily be it's own episode, or even movie. And they really put alot of detail into both the Jappanese and Nordic cultures of Equestria. 

And hey, we finally got norse horses! Norses! 

We need to celebrate!

• 2 months later...

Those fly-ders made their camp worse, so they do it inside the cave instead for safety reasons from those nasty pests.

This episode tells the story about those 3 ponies that are part of the Pillars of Equestria: Rockhoof, Mistmane, and Flash Magnus. Rockhoof is a strong colt with his shovel to make a trench for the lava when the volcano erupted, he saved the village from the lava flow. Mistmane is talented and beautiful, but after confronting Sable, she made a sacrifice of her own beauty and turned herself into an old grandma style to make things in the village beautiful again from Sable's dictatorial orders— and that made a difference of her own pony style. And Flash Magnus, he is a brave cadet with a fireproof Netitus shield of stopping the dragons and keeping the Royal Legion safe. That makes the awesome story of what Applejack, Rarity, and Rainbow Dash had learned about!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
(edited)

So much happening in this episode the Japanese unicorns, the creepy flyders, another nice nod to continuity and the bug bites on the unicorn horns as well as their bodies .  . .

Yet I think there are only two things that will really stick with me.

1) The adoreableness of the Rainbow/Scootaloo dynamic from her saying Scootaloo can sitt a little closer if she wants only to have her practically burrow into rainbow's lap to her acting as a boat when they use the river to escape. As for the people complaining about her ego I really got the feeling she was trying in her own way to make Scootaloo feel better by basically saying her big, awesome, amazing sister would never let anything happen to her. I mean look at the expression on her face when she's about to start her story or the way when they're exploring deeper into the cave rather than flying as she normally does she's walking with her wing over Scootaloo holding her close. Unlike Rarity or Applejack she didn't grow up with siblings but I think she's doing her best to be a good one and learning a few lessons on the way like her instantly realizing she's gone too far with the "big scary dragons" comment and back tracks then tells Scootaloo she can sit closer.

2) The carrot dogs I know their ponies but sometimes the food they eat is just plain odd, raw (presumably as you definately wouldn't want it steamed) carrot with mustard and tomato sauce on a bun?

Edited by Senko

• 1 month later...

The only reason this episode exists is to set up "Shadow Play". That alone makes me not like the episode, as nothing should be made with the sole point of setting up something else. Marvel movies do set up other movies, but they still have a reason to exist on their own. This episode is just bad worldbuilding and callbacks to "Sleepless in Ponyville". The worldbuilding is bad because while many new locations are shown, we know nothing about these places. We know that they exist, but there's not much else to them. There's no reason to care about these places or these stories. This isn't like the "Treehouse of Horror" episodes of The Simpsons. In those episodes, the stories still revolve around already established characters. MLP doesn't have the skill to make new characters and locations, while fleshing them both out in 3 minutes, which is how long Rockhoof's story is.

The stories themselves are barebones and don't offer up more than a few fun action scenes. Rockhoof's story is definitely the worst, because of how brief it is, and because it's apparently supposed to be real, as "Shadow Play" says. Rockhoof suddenly becoming big and strong is fine for a legend, but makes no sense when it's supposed to have actually happened.

The framing story consists of callbacks to "Sleepless in Ponyville" and bad jokes. Scotaloo is the worst part of the framing story with her fears from "Sleepless in Ponyville" being pushed to 11.

Nothing about this episode works outside of a few gags and a few action scenes in Mistmane and Flash Magnus' stories, though even then, the moments are very short.

Score: 0/10

• 2 months later...

I loved this episode, I enjoyed seeing the CMC go on a camping trip with their big sisters, the tales that Applejack, Rainbow Dash, and Rarity told were both enjoyable and detailed, the heartwarming moments were well loved and I of course loved the dynamic between Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash, those two are always adorable. 9/10

This was one of my favorite episodes from season 7. Mainly because I was a Boy Scout at one time and I enjoyed camping and yes we had are share of times being attacked by bugs and other pests. I really liked how rainbow dash took scotaloo under her wing for the trip and made her not feel left out. ^_^