Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Hive or pack?

ggg-2

As far back as Canterlot Wedding, the changelings were referred to as a hive. But in Triple Threat, they're referred to as a pack. Why the weird random change?

Yeah, hive makes it sound like the Changelings like mindless drones who can't think for themselves and mindlessly serve an evil queen.

Pack makes it sound like they can form their own groups, rules, and identities now that they're free of Chrysalis' selfish rule.

• Brohoof 2

I'm not a native english speaker so I have a question about the use of 'hive' in this post.

Isn't a hive supposed to be the place where some animals (mainly insects) build up their societies? Comparable to nests or lairs and not to packs?

1 hour ago, CypherHoof said:

Different mindset maybe?

The hive were much less individuals, pre-transformation, and now are much more so; by the sounds of it, Thorax is finding it much like herding cats...

1 hour ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

Yeah, hive makes it sound like the Changelings like mindless drones who can't think for themselves and mindlessly serve an evil queen.

Pack makes it sound like they can form their own groups, rules, and identities now that they're free of Chrysalis' selfish rule.

Back to the changelings question, I think the word 'swarm' fits them better, but I see the mindless vs individuals point you're both making. 'Pack' fits too once I read your thoughts on it.

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, GrimGrimoire said:

Neither one. There are too many for a pack... and a hive no longer fits them which is why I propose they are referred to as a Colony.

If I can call their military unit the Colonial Marines and make an Aliens vs Changelings fanfic, I'll accept that into my headcanon. 

They come out mostly at night. Mostly. 

• Brohoof 1

For Equestria = for the Hive.

A herd of ponies, a swarm of changelings, a pack of wolves.

14 hours ago, Jeric said:

If I can call their military unit the Colonial Marines and make an Aliens vs Changelings fanfic, I'll accept that into my headcanon. 

They come out mostly at night. Mostly. 

Sorry, but as an AvP fan I cannot let this one go! Did you just equate a xenomorph equivalent with Colonial Marines and then proceeded to confuse Yautja with changelings/Colonial Marines? You done goofed, son. Headcanon denied! Not to mention that xenomorph structures are usually referred to as hives not colonies. Though, they do like to make their hives in human colonies.