Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How fast Rainbow Dash is really flying ??

Le Trotteur Sauvage

Probably a dumb question, but I've always wonder how fast Rainbow Dash is really flying, we all know she's fast, like, SUPER FAST. That Sonic Rainboom really look like what we human call sound barrier or sonic barrier so maybe that mean that RD is supposed to fly at approximatively 767 mph, (or 1234 km/h  for civilized people who use the international system), but let's face it, she doesn't looks that fast and we've already seen that law of physic doesn't really apply in the world of Equestria so...  :please:
I repeat myself, it's probably a dumb question and I'm probably the only who care about that but....
ANY WAY what do you guys think ? :P

I think RD goes way beyond Mach 1. ( 1225 km/h) In some scenes she flies a lot faster than even a Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird, which is the fastest confirmed plane mankind has come up with and that thing speeds at Mach 3+. (I don't count X-15 in here just so stay fair, and besides the thing's more of a rocket anyways. :D)

I can only draw one conclusion from this. RD is very fast.

• Brohoof 1

Well if you consider the comics canon than she would scale to being roughly on par with Alicorns in terms of speed who are scaled to Luna who has a sub-relativistic (4% SoL) flying feat and a relativistic (40% SoL) reaction feat according to calculations.

Edited by Peter16373
  • Brohoof 1

Death Battle predicted her max normal flying speed is mach 5. The sonic rainboom doubles that to 7610 mph.

Oh and in case anypony is wondering, here's thew original post on the subject:

Edited by Denim&Venom
  • Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

Death Battle predicted her max normal flying speed is mach 5. The sonic rainboom doubles that to 7610 mph.

Yeah because Death battle is reliable, like that time they said Vegeta can handle NUCLEAR BLASTS :o and they made super saiyan half as fast as base goku.

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

7610 mph !? Do you relise how fast this is, she would die instantly with the friction force, this is physically impossible even in Equestria !

10 minutes ago, Star Mist said:

There was this one Youtube video where a student calculated Rainbow Dash's speed using physics for a school project presentation

This guy is awesome. :sunbutt:

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Trotteur Sauvage said:

7610 mph !? Do you relise how fast this is, she would die instantly with the friction force, this is physically impossible even in Equestria !

Doubt that, Rainbow Dash can casually break the sound barrier now not even going at top speeds, the sonic rainboom is another level on top of that nowadays.

Anything is possible in Equestria if the writers want it to be, and RD is really really fast.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Trotteur Sauvage said:

Ahem you do know fictions can do that right. Plus MLP characters have natural magic inside of them. 

http://vsbattles.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Aparajita/MLP_Speed_Feat_calculation.

http://vsbattles.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Darkanine/MLP:_Lunas_Banishment

These are where the speed clads came from for anybody that's interested.

• Brohoof 3

1 minute ago, Trotteur Sauvage said:

At really bad at physic, plus I'm also bad at magic but I assume that absolutely everypony at this speed will have some serious damage. Even in the full of magic world of Equestria ! :D Even magic have some limits ! :sunbutt: ...maybe...

You do know you are talking about a fictional pony world that has 

Low-End: Town - Country lvl power

Mid-End: City - Multi-Solar System lvl power

High-End: Mountain - Universe lvl power

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, Trotteur Sauvage said:

At really bad at physic, plus I'm also bad at magic but I assume that absolutely everypony at this speed will have some serious damage. Even in the full of magic world of Equestria ! :D Even magic have some limits ! :sunbutt: ...maybe...

We are talking about a world where Celestia can casually move entire celestial bodies (which would imply destructive force is star level) and then still get her butt kicked by Chrysalis.

We are talking about a world where Twilight knows a spell to go inside of a book.

Oh, and Flash Magnus was dodging lightning in Campfire Tales (presumably) and Rainbow should be as fast if not faster than him.

1 minute ago, Nohate said:

You do know you are talking about a fictional pony world that has 

Low-End: Town - Country lvl power

Mid-End: City - Multi-Solar System lvl power

High-End: Mountain - Universe lvl power

Multi solar system is pretty high, very few characters could achieve feats like that and only Discord has universe esque feats

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

We are talking about a world where Celestia can casually move entire celestial bodies (which would imply destructive force is star level) and then still get her butt kicked by Chrysalis.

We are talking about a world where Twilight knows a spell to go inside of a book.

Oh, and Flash Magnus was dodging lightning in Campfire Tales (presumably) and Rainbow should be as fast if not faster than him.

Multi solar system is pretty high, very few characters could achieve feats like that and only Discord has universe esque feats

Bookworm from the comics low end is that powerful. His high end is causal universal for eating entire story worlds which are most likely universes.

Edited by Nohate

5 minutes ago, Nohate said:

Ehh secondary canon still kinda counts.

As long as the show doesn't discredit or go against anything that happens in the comic it can be considered canon.

Now that I think, wasn't book worm contained only have those feats in the book worlds? Could bookworm devour reality? If not that limits it's power quite a bit.

On topic, Rainbow dash is fast.

Edited by Ryanmahaffe

20 minutes ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

Yeah because Death battle is reliable, like that time they said Vegeta can handle NUCLEAR BLASTS :o and they made super saiyan half as fast as base goku.

It's as reliable as any other source basing physics off a cartoon. :P

Obviously its impossible to answer without conjecture. For example, what is the exact composition of the atmosphere of Equestria? How massive is the planet it is on? Both of those significantly alter any complex equation involving speed. 

Just now, Jeric said:

Obviously its impossible to answer without conjecture. For example, what is the exact composition of the atmosphere of Equestria? How massive is the planet it is on? Both of those significantly alter any complex equation involving speed. 

I am just saying Death Battle has literally said wrong statements and done miscalculations in the past, RD may have been around that speed, but I don't really trust them anymore.

1 minute ago, Jeric said:

It's possible some people were able to calculate how big anime planets are pretty accurately as long as they have an overview of it or enough average country sizes to find a rough estimate. For example the Toriko series Earth is far bigger than our Earth and I think they said it was around the size of Jupiter or something according to an in series overview of the planet. I don't really remember the exact details. Plus you need physics to calculate any feat otherwise we wouldn't be having star lvl Frieza from Dragon Ball Z, Planet lvl Deoxys, Mega Rayquaza and Mega Mewtwo from Pokemon or Country lvl One Piece Top Tiers.

1 minute ago, Peter16373 said:

It's possible some people were able to calculate how big anime planets are pretty accurately as long as they have an overview of it or enough average country sizes to find a rough estimate. For example the Toriko series Earth is far bigger than our Earth and I think they said it was around the size of Jupiter or something according to an in series overview of the planet. I don't really remember the exact details. Plus you need physics to calculate any feat otherwise we wouldn't be having star lvl Frieza from Dragon Ball Z, Planet lvl Deoxys, Mega Rayquaza and Mega Mewtwo from Pokemon or Country lvl One Piece Top Tiers.

This is why fiction is fiction. Using real world physics, a terrestrial planet the size of Jupiter ... well ... while you can get to ~20 times Earth mass (the largest  recorded by Kepler is about 17 em), you almost certainly cannot exceed 3.5 times its radius. The habitability of such a planet makes the chance for humanoid life to develop impossible. That's what's cool about fictional and magical universes. The impossible becomes possible thanks to the God like qualities of a writers pen. 

Anyway, Pegasi flight may be magical in nature, as is the Sonic Rainboom. It could be that the stronger your inherent magical ability, the naturally faster you can become with less effort. We know that there may be one character faster than her but I'm just happy thinking she is the fastest with speculated on a top speed. 

1 minute ago, Jeric said:

This is why fiction is fiction. Using real world physics, a terrestrial planet the size of Jupiter ... well ... while you can get to ~20 times Earth mass (the largest  recorded by Kepler is about 17 em), you almost certainly cannot exceed 3.5 times its radius. The habitability of such a planet makes the chance for humanoid life to develop impossible. That's what's cool about fictional and magical universes. The impossible becomes possible thanks to the God like qualities of a writers pen. 

Anyway, Pegasi flight may be magical in nature, as is the Sonic Rainboom. It could be that the stronger your inherent magical ability, the naturally faster you can become with less effort. We know that there may be one character faster than her but I'm just happy thinking she is the fastest with speculated on a top speed. 

Yeah I pretty much agree with everything. But just saying the Toriko series' Earth being larger than our Earth has an actual explanation in the series.