Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media Previews That Were Better Than Their Final Products

Castle Bleck

Fall Of The Crystal Empire by Silly Filly Studios.

In the preview, we saw Celestia and Sombra being epic and largely true to their canon selves, and we ultimately got a peek into Celestia's personal demons... but in the final product, Celestia barely factored in, Sombra acted much more like Chrysalis than himself, and Luna/NMM ended up hogging the spotlight.

The trailer for the Kamen Rider Decade movie, which promised to finally resolve plot threads that have been left unanswered since the first episode and give some insight into the main character's past.

The only problem was that nothing that was in trailer happened in the movie. I know trailers have scenes sometimes that aren't in the movie, but the trailer was honestly better than the movie. 

(edited)
7 hours ago, cmarston1 said:

Didn't Suicide Squad have a trailer that people actually liked that ended up turning out to be better than that hot mess of a film?

Batman V Superman was similar: good previews... bad film.

Edited by The Artist Formerly Known As A.V.

14 minutes ago, The Artist Formerly Known As A.V. said:

Fall Of The Crystal Empire by Silly Filly Studios.

In the preview, we saw Celestia and Sombra being epic and largely true to their canon selves, and we ultimately got a peek into Celestia's personal demons... but in the final product, Celestia barely factored in, Sombra acted much more like Chrysalis than himself, and Luna/NMM ended up hogging the spotlight.

You do know Silly Filly Studio's trailer is fan made, not officially done by the real show makers. That's not a good example since Hasbro has nothing to do with SFS.

10 minutes ago, cmarston1 said:

Didn't Suicide Squad have a trailer that people actually liked that ended up turning out to be better than that hot mess of a film?

Yeah, that's a better example.

Just now, WiiGuy2014 said:

You do know Silly Filly Studio's trailer is fan made, not officially done by the real show makers. That's not a good example since Hasbro has nothing to do with SFS.

Already knew that.

Regardless, I liked the preview a lot better, so it still counts as part of the subject.

Well maybe the Emoji movie fits into this category as it's a really good and convincing trailer while the actual movie is literally one of the worst movies ever made this decade. And it's because of how cringey it is when you watch the full thing but the trailer actually makes it look like a good movie. :)

Edited by Techno Universal

Well, The Sims 3 was always pretty good about doing this. The packed nightclubs in Late Night that you never see, even with a powerful PC. The Late Night trailer also featured a band with a sim set up to look very much look like she was a singer, yet there was no singing added in that EP and there had never been singing in the game before.

What bothered the most was the Seasons trailer where for Spring they made everything look all pretty flowery and showed blooming trees. None of the trees bloom for Spring. None of them. They just stuck cherry blossom trees to give off the illusion. Which means they knew that there should be blossoming trees but they didn't do it. Gr.

11 minutes ago, Techno Universal said:

Well maybe the Emoji movie fits into this category as it's a really good and convincing trailer while the actual movie is literally one of the worst movies ever made this decade. And it's because of how cringey it is when you watch the full thing but the trailer actually makes it look like a good movie. :)

I don't know. That preview certainly didn't make me want to watch the movie at all.

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 1

8 minutes ago, Envy said:

Well, The Sims 3 was always pretty good about doing this. The packed nightclubs in Late Night that you never see, even with a powerful PC. The Late Night trailer also featured a band with a sim set up to look very much look like she was a singer, yet there was no singing added in that EP and there had never been singing in the game before.

What bothered the most was the Seasons trailer where for Spring they made everything look all pretty flowery and showed blooming trees. None of the trees bloom for Spring. None of them. They just stuck cherry blossom trees to give off the illusion. Which means they knew that there should be blossoming trees but they didn't do it. Gr.

I don't know. That preview certainly didn't make me want to watch the movie at all.

Well it probably looked good to me as I'm into digital universe stuff like the Matrix movies. :)

destiny... hooves down when it was first released. before dlc like the taken king and etc, the game's beta was a much different game... imo anyway

though, I cant say the same about destiny 2 :wub:

• Brohoof 1

Destiny is like the poster child for insane hyped previews that were a massive fabrication in the end. Activision is made up of crafty bastards that know how to make a game seem incredible when in reality it is a boring, soulless cesspool of grinding and greed.

I also remember the previews for Gran Turismo 5 being amazing, but sadly the actual game just could not live up to them in the slightest. It was being marketed and previewed as one of the best racing games of all time, but in the end it was just okay. The whole 'premium' cars thing was so odd.

• Brohoof 1

8 hours ago, Kyoshi said:

I also remember the previews for Gran Turismo 5 being amazing, but sadly the actual game just could not live up to them in the slightest. It was being marketed and previewed as one of the best racing games of all time, but in the end it was just okay. The whole 'premium' cars thing was so odd.

The real letdown of GT5 was that PD was (and still is) stuck in their old ways. Proper sounds for cars are non-existent, AI is far too slow, and they boasted a 1000 car list, but the majority of it was ripped from GT4, (where the "Standard" cars came from) which also featured loads of cars that were no different from another. For example, could you tell me the performance difference between a Nissan 350Z from 2003, and another from 2007?

Oh, and they fell for the greed of removing content, only to sell it back to you as DLC. They had removed the speed tests, only to include it with a massive-ass version of Test Course from the previous games. Bastards...

• Brohoof 1

14 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

All previews of Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2. The game was nothing like the underappreciated masterpiece that was the first game

I think you hit the unexpected nail on the head for me. Lords of Shadow was such a magnificent game, and the trailers for LoS2 were promising something grand. Too bad we only got half the grand the trailers promised. :/

• Brohoof 1

Independence day 2: the tone looked darker than the first film, and the impression I got was that it was gonna be a world wide fight for survival. Doing what the original did, but on a grander scale.

Instead it was even campier than the last. At least the first was subtile and fit with the times. Here, it was almost a parody of itself in tone and characters. If it weren't for the returning cast and villians, I would've thought this a totally different movie. Not to mention the hall marks of the first film, explosions, dog fights and destruction, as well as a strong supporting cast, we're reduced. Oh, and way too much CG. 

(edited)
8 minutes ago, [[-VeNoM-]] said:

This is just me, I go with Transformers - Age of Extinction. The trailer in which Lockdown speaks is so awesome and that his voice is saying that I ain't here to make friends, but here to off some Autobots. But as for the final product, Lockdown's voice changes. WTF Hasbro? :okiedokieloki:

Don't forget Shockwave in Dark Of The Moon.

The previews promised an epic new villain to make up for The Fail-en; instead, his pet Driller (that giant worm) ended up stealing all his spotlight, and Sentinel Prime ended up pulling a Prince Hans and becoming the real villain.

Edited by The Artist Formerly Known As A.V.