Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Favorite villian

Princess_Cadence

Ok, now here we go. Who is your favorite villian? ( not counting reformed) My favorite villian is Adagio Dazzle.

We've got the music, Makes you move it, Got the song that makes you lose it. We say "jump", you say "how high?" Put your hands up to the sky!

sorry i didnt use my banner, its on my other computer

Thanks, 

Princess_Cadence

Tempest Shadow would definitely have to be my favorite villain from FiM.

She is everything that I wished Starlight Glimmer could have been as a villain.

Edited by cmarston1
  • Brohoof 2

It is a close call between Chrysalis and Tempest for me. Technically Tempest is 'reformed' I guess, but she was quite good, despite her disappointing backstory. Loved her song and her motivation was really simple, and also quite selfish, but I think it worked well. Her own desire blinded her entirely and for a pony with that kind of strength I like seeing that weakness.

Chrysalis is a bit more straight forward as to why I like her. She has a very imposing personality and look, and is (was) the leader of an entire race of beings. The way she acted in the season 5 finale was pretty hardcore.

• Brohoof 3

Tirek by far. He's the most powerful, the most threatening and EASILY the most evil (with only Sombra coming anywhere close). He betrayed Discord for crying out loud! No other villain in the series has even come remotely close to living up to his sheer sense of raw strength, intimidation and hostility. Not to mention that completely legendary final battle with Twilight which is, still to this day the most amazing moment in the show and any of it's other incarnations.

Discord pre-reformation.
After that comes Tirek.

Next up the Sirens from RR.
Then Tempest shadow.

Following that Chrysalis and the changelings (pre-reformation. BOO.)

Nightmare moon.

Then comes sombra.
Dead last Mr. "SHADOWS BLAH BLAH DARKNESS" Pony of shadows/stygian.

It's hard to say, but I gravitate towards Nightmare Moon as my answer. She may not have had all that much actual impact on the show, but that's what made her mark so distinct. Everypony was afraid of her, from the foals to Celestia herself and that fear was what made her seem so impressive. She felt like an enigma. Like the spooky thing in the dark.

Nightmare Moon, after Discord, she's the most powerful at base form, no trickery, no power stealing bullshit just flat out malevolence and everypony always seizes up with fear when she appears, whether in the show or comics. A younger sister's jealousy formed the bedrock of the entire world's history and is utterly classic. She would be the most efficient, if despotic, if she won as seen in the alternate timeline and the nature of her evil (The Nightmare Forces) implies that not only can there be no reformation for her, only purification with the Elements, allowing her to resurface every now and again.

Once again, at base form, only Celestia, Daybreaker (if she even exists) and Discord have a chance of stopping her.

Edited by ShadowPhoenix

Favorite villain huh? Well there are several answers.

Which villain do I think was the most fun to watch? Discord easily

Which villain do I think was overall the best and most well done in a 2 parter? Tirek easily

Which villain do i think has had the most staying power? Chrysalis because the writers love her too much.

Which villain do I think was the most interesting and had the most potential: King Sombra, I love him because of what we don't see but we are told, and because he is smarter than every other villain put together.

Which villain do I think was the darkest (something I enjoy)? The Pony of Shadows, it wanted to kill everyone and destroy the light.

So overall, my favorite 2 parter villain is Lord Tirek or Discord, followed by Sombra, I saw this yet King Sombra is actually my favorite villain in the show. He has so much potential and is so interesting and evil that I just want so bad to get more from his character. The comics almost did a great job but then ruined it at the end.

Although, for one episode villains like Ahuizotl, the Tantabus, Daybreaker, Mane-iac, whatever. Daybreaker is easily my favorite villain. If I had to do to a top five villains in terms of concept it would be

1.)King Sombra

2.)Pony of Shadows

3.)Discord

4.)Daybreaker

5.)Nightmare Moon

Top 5 in terms of execution

1.) Lord Tirek

2.) Discord

3.) Chrysalis

4.) Daybreaker

5.) Nightmare Moon

Nightmare Moon was okay, I enjoyed her more in the season 4 opener than the entirety of FiM part 2 so that's something I guess, I love the idea of her character and really enjoy her on screen but I feel as though she is overshadowed by the rest. 

As for movie villains, I am not sure yet, I would probably put Tempest on the same level as Chrysalis in terms of execution and under 5 in terms of concept.

5 hours ago, A.V. said:

IMO, she -- not The Pony Of Shadows -- was the real breakout villain of S7, even if she was only part of a dream sequence.

The problem with the pony of shadows is he wasn't designed as a villain, just a plot device; he's there to create a redemption target so the characters can have some sort of friendship issue to solve.

He has little actions, little motivations, and very few lines besides saying how powerful he is or "Darkness!". This is a problem when you go in with the idea of making a character to be redeemed instead of making an antagonist; Just like Juniper montage from EQG who was designed from the ground up to be a redemption target for glimmer in Mirror magic, the pony of shadows falls flat because they can't have him actually do anything evil (SInce people wouldn't accept his reformation) and all culpability is shifted off onto something else instead (the mirror for juniper or the shadows for Stygian).

the best villains are the ones who are DESIGNED as villains; its like comparing a car that was designed to have a good cupholder with one designed to be, well, a car. The dazzlings, Tirek, First appearance discord and A canterlot wedding chrysalis/changelings? Designed to be evil from the get go, to perform evil acts, and to be DESPISED by the audience because they are VILLAINS. as such, they're able to commit alot of evil actions, gloat hammily about what they're doing, and be ENTERTAINING in being villains.

• Brohoof 1

On 11/26/2017 at 10:59 AM, Princess_Cadence said:

not counting reformed)

Angel bunny. ;)

Honestly ... I'm not really left with many options since most have been reformed. Tirek is your one note power monger reminiscent of the 80's and Crysallis is closer to one of the less developed Disney villains. Finch was ... ugh. The Dazzlings were fine I suppose. I can't quite put my finger on why I don't put them higher, but it might have to do with their inability to be a threat without their power. 

Since I can't pick Discord, Nightmare Moon, or Starlight. I'll say it's a tie between the Sphinx and Ahuizotl. 

• Brohoof 1

My favorite villains that we've seen so far are:

1. Tempest Shadow  (MLP Movie)
  2. The Dazzlings       (Equestria Girls)
  3. Lord Tirek             (Friendship is Magic)
Edited by Sparklefan1234

19 minutes ago, Unlikeable Pony said:

The problem with the pony of shadows is he wasn't designed as a villain, just a plot device; he's there to create a redemption target so the characters can have some sort of friendship issue to solve.

He has little actions, little motivations, and very few lines besides saying how powerful he is or "Darkness!". This is a problem when you go in with the idea of making a character to be redeemed instead of making an antagonist; Just like Juniper montage from EQG who was designed from the ground up to be a redemption target for glimmer in Mirror magic, the pony of shadows falls flat because they can't have him actually do anything evil (SInce people wouldn't accept his reformation) and all culpability is shifted off onto something else instead (the mirror for juniper or the shadows for Stygian).

the best villains are the ones who are DESIGNED as villains; its like comparing a car that was designed to have a good cupholder with one designed to be, well, a car. The dazzlings, Tirek, First appearance discord and A canterlot wedding chrysalis/changelings? Designed to be evil from the get go, to perform evil acts, and to be DESPISED by the audience because they are VILLAINS. as such, they're able to commit alot of evil actions, gloat hammily about what they're doing, and be ENTERTAINING in being villains.

And even then, Sombra was the better "plot device"-type (until his eventual development in FIENDship, that is) for at least being a uniquely competent threat to make up for it.

By contrast, TPOS didn't even have that, instead sticking to the villainy cliches (e.g., monologuing and overconfidence) at full force.

Edited by A.V.

1 hour ago, Unlikeable Pony said:

I think there's a lot of ways for a villain to be entertaining without being beyond redemption - I felt that way about Starlight, really - but this show doesn't do it very often. The problem with both Juniper and Stygian is that they don't have interesting personalities; the Pony of Shadows feels like a plot device because there's absolutely nothing unique about him, we never see enough of Stygian to care, and Juniper sucks because she's too selfish to be sympathetic, yet also too petty to be actually menacing or fun. 

Not counting reformed, though? Geez, then it's a tie between the Dazzlings and Chrysalis, who I both like mainly because they're hammy and unrepentant. The Dazzlings are more competent, but I honestly find Chrysalis's ineptitude more funny than anything.

Without the "non-reformed" condition, I'd probably pick Discord (the most fun) or Starlight (the most complex and unique). 

Edited by AlexanderThrond

21 minutes ago, AlexanderThrond said:

I think there's a lot of ways for a villain to be entertaining without being beyond redemption - I felt that way about Starlight, really - but this show doesn't do it very often. The problem with both Juniper and Stygian is that they don't have interesting personalities; the Pony of Shadows feels like a plot device because there's absolutely nothing unique about him, we never see enough of Stygian to care, and Juniper sucks because she's too selfish to be sympathetic, yet also too petty to be actually menacing or fun.

Honestly, Stygian himself was one of Shadow Play's highlights, IMO.

And the Legends Of Magic comics are currently fleshing him out pretty well.

3 minutes ago, A.V. said:

Honestly, I thought so as well, but then, I don't like "Shadow Play" very much. 

4 minutes ago, A.V. said:

And the Legends Of Magic comics are currently fleshing him out pretty well.

I like stygian in the comics since it shows more of him and more of the group interacting with him as a friend, but in the show he comes off as a petulant brat who decided to end the world due to people not falling down and giving him praise, like a more emo version of Endeavor.

The show fell into the problem of not showing stygian contributing, only showing us HIM ranting about how important he was, which didn't feel very reliable considering he was trying to kill the world over things.

If they're going to do a plot like this they need to extend it to more than 2 episodes, because it works much better with the comics than it did in show to make us sympathize with stygian.

Hell, they could have had the Mane six have had the mane six only get clues about what happened from the journal and have gone on a journey across equestria to stygian's village when trying to find out where the pillars dissapeared at, discovered some writings detailing how stygian helped the pillars out (but not information saying that stygian was the pony of shadows), and then later on been surprised by starswirl dropping that stygian WAS the pony of shadows as a bombshell on them.

Edited by Unlikeable Pony

• 1 month later...