Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you think the future looks like?

Mlppotterwhoovian

Let's see, near future technologies that will have the biggest impacts are automated labor, plasma engines, carbon nanofibers, crispr, basic true fusion power with a surplus, cybernetic limbs, commercially viable vertical farms, etc; far future technologies are terraforming, high heat resistant light cell collectors for collecting a sun's true power, wormhole drives, teleportation, etc.

That's what I'm kind of hoping for, don't really care what hollywood has to say about the future and same with games cause they are usually wrong.

5 hours ago, Narcissus said:

It would depend somewhat on how far into the future we're talking about. But in any case, I'd say it's going to look similar to what we have now, only rearranged to look like it's been updated (like modern technology). This way, no one has to actually break any new ground (new ideas usually being squashed anyway) and the very minimum effort would be expended. Look at how much advancement took place in the 20th century, and how everything now has slowed to a crawl because it might be too dangerous to break new ground, and everything drowning in red tape. In the 1960s we decided to go to the moon and we did. Now all we ever hear is, "Someday we'll go back to the moon, or "Someday we'll go to Mars", "Someday we'll do this" or "Someday we'll do that..." It's like the world is stalled and just biding its time so it can leave everything up to a future generation, which is only going to follow the present example and do the same. 

Sure, things will advance in tiny steps; cell phones will get more pointless bells and whistles, computers will do the same. But these are just minor adjustments rather than game k changers. The world seems scared to death or rocking the boat, so I don't expect any great changes at any time soon.  

I don't believe that's the case, we already have clear plans to go to Mars in a little more than a decade, and we already have private space companies like SpaceX who have their own fair share of achievements, like more reusable rockets and drone ships. And it's not like NASA has been doing nothing for the last few decades; we've been sending probes all across the solar system, and some like Dawn or New Horizons have given us far more insight and data than ever before. We don't do that many manned missions anymore besides trips to the ISS simply because it costs too much money for a limited amount of benefit – it means making the rockets bigger and adding life support, and there's an inherent risk. 

Plus, we've had a lot of advancement in this decade too. Smartphones are ubiquitous in the developed world, and microprocessing power has been growing exponentially; compare the Intel Core 2 Duo to the Intel Core i7-8700K. And everything is getting miniaturized; the only reason we haven't done so on smartphones or laptop is because we still want it to be usable. I'm pretty confident in a few decades we'll have nano-technology, so most sci-fi's aren't too far off. 

But I can understand where you're coming from. Politics has always lagged behind technology, and sometimes it gets in the way, but we certainly haven't been that stagnant recently. 

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...