Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you think the future looks like?

Mlppotterwhoovian

I would like for the future to look like it was in the film "Back To The Future:Part II" just with a little more advancements in technology.

But I honestly have no idea,the possibilities could be endless.

Edited by ScruffyTheStallion
  • Brohoof 1

I used to think it was going to look like Futurama but unfortunately that's no longer the case. I see two futures ahead of us. One being that technology takes over, but not in a good way. Technology continues to advance as time passes and sooner or later we're all just human robots walking between the robots.

The other future being non existent. I think that at this rate, the world will sooner or later be empty. People will have gotten rid of each other and there would be no life force left to find.

Either way, I do not see a bright and happy future ahead of us unfortunately.

• Brohoof 2

I hope, it won't look like this:

Spoiler

Well, it is obvious that we will have AI more advanced and it will be everywhere. It helps us in many hard works, machines and computers are faster every year ... the best thing is to not forget about vital things like reading, doing some sports, meeting in real life, because it could lead us to a scenerio like from Wall-e movie. Humans are not so stupid and 3rd World War or Nuclear War will also not happen because it is not profitable and too risky for any side.

I am optimistic for the future, but also realistic. It is not bad right now and also we survived around 10 prophecies of the end of the world xD. 

• Brohoof 2

10 minutes ago, The Silver Cheese said:

Humans are not so stupid and 3rd World War or Nuclear War will also not happen because it is not profitable and too risky for any side.

I disagree. Humans--in general--are extraordinarily stupid. People don't just go to war for profit, they fight for religion, ideologies, etc.

Also, I believe that war is profitable...for a few. The rich and corrupt often profit from conflict. They don't care if the rest of the world burns.

I don't think humanity is going to last much longer due to global warming, increasingly deadly weapons, and rising international conflict.

I believe that the near future will be similar to George Orwell's dystopian vision (1984).

• Brohoof 4

The way corporations are getting even more and more greedy isn't painting a pretty picture for what's yet to come. Though unlike what the majority says, all out war seems very unlikely. We might have a small war with North Korea, but that should be wrapped up with ease, finally bringing freedom to the North Koreans. Though for the most part I feel life is going to remain mostly the same. A world full of stupid people who think they know best, while we roll our eyes.

Either really good as advancement in technologies would allow us an even greater amount of comfort, or really bad as the aforementioned advancement also entails greater destructive capabilities. Heck, if we wanted to we could exterminate all of the civilized world in under a day with today's WMDs.

• 5 weeks later...

I see three distinct possibilities:

A. A future where we destroy ourselves with nuclear bombs. That future is highly likely considering how hawkish the US has been over the last forty years, and with just how many warheads we actually have. Also, you'd be surprised how EASY it would be to put the world in a nuclear apocalypse situation.According to this source of mine, it would take less than 2% of the US's nuclear stockpile... I already see a World War III scenario coming soon the way Trump seems to be trying to create an even worse relationship with North Korea, and how the world already deems the US to be the most threatening country to world peace. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this happens within the next few decades, as presidents like Trump and Obama pop up.

B. A future where the world is ruled by corporations. This is actually already happening to the United States (if the repeal of Net Neutrality didn't make it blatantly obvious), and has been for a long time. I feel like this is the most likely scenario, as the US political climate shifts further and further to the right on all sorts of issues (source should surprise you). It's a really big problem because the right, no offense, don't really pay attention to the real threat to American prosperity. The real threat is not Islam, and it's not the fact "SJWs". Heck, it's not even the Democratic Party (though that's quite a bit more on the right track than the other two). The issue for America is the CORRUPTION. The big issue for America is the BIG CORPORATIONS who exploit capitalism for all it's worth. It's the DEFENSE CONTRACTORS WHO MAKE MONEY OFF OF WAR. The corporatocracy is what really needs to stop, and the only way to do that is to gain your own knowledge, find out for yourself how bad it is. A little independent thinking goes a long way, though society's lack of this makes me think that corporatocracy is the most likely future on this list, and honestly probably the worst one that we could have. After all, we'd have to live with it.

C. An actually good future, forged by a society that became truly weary of their future. Actually more likely than you might think, after all, war and political revolution has a way of happening and succeeding when things get really tough for the people. I personally believe that this future would play out similar to the way it does in Star Trek. I still think this is the least likely of the three, but it still should get some mention.

Edited by Duzzkilicious

I think the future will be when we either colonize on mars or the moon, there will be some sort of public/private flying/hovering vehicle besides an airplane thats affordable to the everyday person, food will be altered to the point where anything you eat would be healthy, the world would become one (no countries, no borders, just one big planet) and regulate how much we take and give to not alter the planet. I think thats all i got in my head now. It may be way far in the future but hey future is future xD

• 2 months later...

Providing we don't nuke ourselves back to the Stone Age, this what I hope the future will look like:

General Technology:

• Labor is entirely automated
  • The use of AIs is widespread
  • Better means of transportation
    • Think flying cars, bullet trains, space elevators, and so on..
  • Energy is produced using only renewable sources
    • I don't see humanity dismantling Mercury to build a Dyson Swarm, but I could see future humans using more renewable sources of energy, especially if Earth's fossil fuel reserves run dry.
  • Everything is Recyclable
    • Paper, plastic, glass, electronics, food waste, etc are all recycled into new products instead of rotting in a landfill
  • Climate Change is stopped and reversed
  • Better Infrastructure
    • This could include better roads, electrical grids, telecommunications systems, and so on.

Medicine:

• Diseases can be cured using CRISPR-engineered treatments.
  • Biological 3D Printing allowing doctors to print new organs and even limbs for their patients.
  • Better Vaccines with higher effectiveness rates.
  • Higher life expectancy rates for the entire world.
  • Robotic Surgeons, guided by AI, are the norm globally.

Politics and Economics:

• All of Earth may be united under a single, global, government made up of elected representatives from each continent as well as representatives from human colonies on other planets.
  • War may become a thing of the past, weaponry will be used largely for defensive purposes, and to reign in rebellious colonies.
  • Unlike today, the economy of the future may revolve around the resource value of the entire solar system, leading to widespread prosperity and wealth, providing capitalism still exists in the future, that is :smug:
  • Using this vast wealth, the government of humanity (or whatever its official title is) may provide each of their citizens with everything they need to survive and thrive.
  • Because of new technologies, humans won't have to return to Earth to vote in elections, they can do so right from their communication device.

2 hours ago, Lance Shield said:

Providing we don't nuke ourselves back to the Stone Age, this what I hope the future will look like:

General Technology:

• Labor is entirely automated
  • The use of AIs is widespread
  • Better means of transportation
    • Think flying cars, bullet trains, space elevators, and so on..
  • Energy is produced using only renewable sources
    • I don't see humanity dismantling Mercury to build a Dyson Swarm, but I could see future humans using more renewable sources of energy, especially if Earth's fossil fuel reserves run dry.
  • Everything is Recyclable
    • Paper, plastic, glass, electronics, food waste, etc are all recycled into new products instead of rotting in a landfill
  • Climate Change is stopped and reversed
  • Better Infrastructure
    • This could include better roads, electrical grids, telecommunications systems, and so on.

Medicine:

• Diseases can be cured using CRISPR-engineered treatments.
  • Biological 3D Printing allowing doctors to print new organs and even limbs for their patients.
  • Better Vaccines with higher effectiveness rates.
  • Higher life expectancy rates for the entire world.
  • Robotic Surgeons, guided by AI, are the norm globally.

Politics and Economics:

• All of Earth may be united under a single, global, government made up of elected representatives from each continent as well as representatives from human colonies on other planets.
  • War may become a thing of the past, weaponry will be used largely for defensive purposes, and to reign in rebellious colonies.
  • Unlike today, the economy of the future may revolve around the resource value of the entire solar system, leading to widespread prosperity and wealth, providing capitalism still exists in the future, that is :smug:
  • Using this vast wealth, the government of humanity (or whatever its official title is) may provide each of their citizens with everything they need to survive and thrive.
  • Because of new technologies, humans won't have to return to Earth to vote in elections, they can do so right from their communication device.

General Technology:

• At the same time, however, automated labor would put millions and millions of people out of work and may just widen the gap between developing and developed countries as developing countries struggle to compete with robots. A lot of occupations would start "moving up" into the tertiary and quaternary sectors and education standards are increased (in some places a high school diploma is no longer enough to get a good occupation). 
  • Transportion might become automated as well. We already have cars that are almost self-driving in the market, and it's only going to take a few years before they become affordable (the Tesla Model 3 costs only $35K, affordable for upper-middle class families), or even completely self-driving (no driving wheel, no pedals, and you can tell your GPS where you want to go). We've already been ride-sharing and bike-sharing for a while too, so car-sharing might become much larger scale. In a generation or so, you'll no longer need to own a car to get anywhere. 
  • We still might cling onto natural gas for a bit, though renewable energy might take up a decent portion of overall energy use. Solar panels and wind turbines are already getting more efficient and next-generation nuclear plants are around the corner. We're already starting to ditch coal. Oil might take a while. 
  • I'm not that optimistic. We can mitigate some negative effects of climate change, but by that time we may already be hit by serious, adverse effects. 

Medicine:

• Not to mention some diseases like cystic fibrosis or ALD that can't be cured yet would still become vastly more survivable. 
  • Improved prosthetics genetic engineering doesn't sound far off either. The former is already supported and funded by many organizations and even the US government. We're getting closer and closer to having prosthetic limbs simulate real limbs.
  • Also we might end up making technological improvements on food production. Vertical farms will become a reality, and we might end up having to rely on GMOs and cultured meat; eventually we can't waste water and resources on maintaining livestock and it'll become easier and possibly cheaper to just "grow" stem cells from animals. 
  • Speaking of which, stem cell therapy could improve as well. 

Politics and Economics: 

• Kind of harder to talk about this since it's much more uncertain. We could get our first trillion-aire in a decade or two. Warfare is already pretty decentralized, but now that we're relying more on drones, guided weapons, and communications technology, manned aircraft could become obsolete. It's why I don't really believe in a WW3, which paints pictures of mass-scale warfare between two powers. I think that kind of warfare has already died out. Warfare today relies so much on information, and not always on having the biggest guns. 
  • Guaranteed income is another interesting idea. 

I don't really have an extreme optimistic view on the future, though if there's one thing I know, it's that humanity is pragmatic, so I don't have huge concerns. 

It would depend somewhat on how far into the future we're talking about. But in any case, I'd say it's going to look similar to what we have now, only rearranged to look like it's been updated (like modern technology). This way, no one has to actually break any new ground (new ideas usually being squashed anyway) and the very minimum effort would be expended. Look at how much advancement took place in the 20th century, and how everything now has slowed to a crawl because it might be too dangerous to break new ground, and everything drowning in red tape. In the 1960s we decided to go to the moon and we did. Now all we ever hear is, "Someday we'll go back to the moon, or "Someday we'll go to Mars", "Someday we'll do this" or "Someday we'll do that..." It's like the world is stalled and just biding its time so it can leave everything up to a future generation, which is only going to follow the present example and do the same. 

Sure, things will advance in tiny steps; cell phones will get more pointless bells and whistles, computers will do the same. But these are just minor adjustments rather than game changers. The world seems scared to death or rocking the boat, so I don't expect any great changes at any time soon.