Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

ooc Salem University OOC (Open)

Duality

1 hour ago, Duality said:

Would it be too stalkerish to assume Dru's first class as Duality's own? I've been tossing up whether to play the coincidence card or just have the professor potter around until a later class.

Do it! I could totes work with hers being the first class she has.

• Brohoof 1

Status update on the lost wallet. I have wonderful people in my life. My manager, the supremely awesome lady that she is went with me to the DMV and spotted me the fee for getting my new ID. She also helped me talk with the manager of my bank and we were able to get out a hundred dollars after answering some control questions. My new ID will be here in a week or so and after that I'll be able to start replacing my stuff. 

2 hours ago, Buck Testa said:

Status update on the lost wallet. I have wonderful people in my life. My manager, the supremely awesome lady that she is went with me to the DMV and spotted me the fee for getting my new ID. She also helped me talk with the manager of my bank and we were able to get out a hundred dollars after answering some control questions. My new ID will be here in a week or so and after that I'll be able to start replacing my stuff. 

Whoa. Your manager is amazing. Glad to hear things are working out well for you to get things back up and running. :mlp_yeehaa:

9 hours ago, Duality said:

Whoa. Your manager is amazing. Glad to hear things are working out well for you to get things back up and running. :mlp_yeehaa:

She really is. The job itself is the best I've ever had, and it shows in my performance. I got Employee of the month for the second time in a row from how great my stats are 

Edited by Buck Testa

Yes yes, sincere apologies but I have a lot going on in reality. Grandmother having heart attacks, her husband being literally blind and stubborn, new work position so a lot of training, motorbike driver licence in progress, a few government related things in relevance to exchanging my ID, phone/internet agreements coming to an end and a dozen of other things.

I know I'm late like a week in posting, I keep that somewhere on my to-do list. Just coming up with a quick plot for post and typing it out + editing I know takes me 1-2 hours usually, hours I do not actually have currently to spare. As soon as I'll have and I'll have no other priorities, I'll get to it. Sorry to keep y'all waiting.

• Brohoof 2

Speaking of life kicking in teeth: @Buck Testa, my sincerest apologies for keeping you so long. Due to the offset schedule my study provider runs on, I'm in the final five weeks of the final term of the final semester of my qualification and suffice to say I have vast quantities of work. :sealed:

I'll get a post up when I have brainpower to spare - hopefully soon.

On 10/19/2018 at 5:44 PM, Duality said:

Speaking of life kicking in teeth: @Buck Testa, my sincerest apologies for keeping you so long. Due to the offset schedule my study provider runs on, I'm in the final five weeks of the final term of the final semester of my qualification and suffice to say I have vast quantities of work. :sealed:

I'll get a post up when I have brainpower to spare - hopefully soon.

I would very much like this rp not to die from inactivity, so if you could find anything in the way of time to keep it going it would be appreciated. 

• Brohoof 1

@dragon4111 @Buck Testa 

So here's an idea. While we wait for our key members to get a handle on IRL business, maybe we can use this time to flesh out the back story and lore of our world. 

Think about it, in a world of magic and furries, how would history be a one for one match to ours? 

We get to make alternate history.

13 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

@dragon4111 @Buck Testa 

So here's an idea. While we wait for our key members to get a handle on IRL business, maybe we can use this time to flesh out the back story and lore of our world. 

Think about it, in a world of magic and furries, how would history be a one for one match to ours? 

We get to make alternate history.

There's a thought 

From what I recall of the lore, the Pelijae were around before magic was a thing right? In fact they account for half the worlds population. So that would be an enormous change to history.

Are there Pelijae dominant countries?

Why are humans accounting for half the population? Why did humans breed so much more than any specific type of Pelijae? Why are Pelijae lumped all into the same category? That would imply humans named them that right? 

Humans don't play nice with others. Even incredibly minor differences between us can breed hatred and distrust, how the heck did humans and Pelijae not wipe one another out during their evolution?

Humans are the way the way they are because they are primates. People dont think about this because we think we're better than animals, but if you really look into it a LOT of our interactions are just more complex versions of our extremely distant cousins. So with that said, how would Pelijae's personalities and cultures be dictated by the animals they came from? 

Would cartoon characters like Goofy be considered racist to Pelijae? Would anthropomorphic cartoons made by humans be a thing? Would Pelijae make human cartoons? What is the state of the entertainment industry? 

What trends in fashion were changed by the Pelijae? What kind of music genres have Pelijae come up with? Who are some Pelijae celebrities and notable figures in history? 

What sports have came up in this world? Are there Pelijae dominated sports and human dominated sports? 

Those are just a few questions off the top of my head.

• Brohoof 1

@Buck Testa  @dragon4111 well I had more than a few ideas. Been thinking this over for a while. Here's a very rough timeline of historical events. 

Hope it isn't too much.

Starting from 1000 AD onwards:

Spoiler

• The Nords form pacts with the Garou (werewolves) and the Dracur (dragons). Mostly cause they don't want to enrage the kin of "fenris the God eater and jorgmindr the world serpent. " with them by their side, and maybe a hidden mage to advise (cause you kinda have to be smart to cast spells) the trip to Greenland doesn't go bust. And by extension the colony on the Quebec coast doesn't go bust and *bam!* Vikings discover America! Canada is now the nation of Vinland. 
  • With aid of ancient mages and the pelijae of central asia, the empire of india expands south, island hopping throughout Thailand, Manila and the Philippines until, they reach Australia. India now has a continent and a subcontinent. 
  • Dark ages. Plague happens. Idiot church peasants blame pelijae as hell spawn. Try to burn them at stake. This pisses them off rightly. War of wrath is waged. Villages and city's razed to the ground in revolt. All who would've died in plague are killed by pelijae. Plague is stopped cause cities, and by extension the plague, are burned to the ground. 
  • Europe rebuilds. Church stronger due to mistrust of pelijae. Pope decrees the pelijae to be purged as devils spawn. 2nd war of wrath kicks off. Proper military conflict between catholic nations and pelijae tribes and their human allies (who are also probably mages sick of the witch trials). Pelijae win after Holy Roman Empire is razed. By armies of werewolves. On Dragon cavalry. Church blamed for near apocalypse of humanity. Protestant reformation kinda happens. Catholicism isolated to Western Europe and British isles. Judism has spike in interest. Reconcista fails so Islam has a presence in Europe. Influence of the church is greatly diminished. And thus explaining our lack of religious reaction to the daemon realm in the present. 
  • With infrastructure on the mend, slave trade with Africa doesn't happen. No western expansion into the continent. Instead, another power makes the journey: China. With the help of what's essentially the cast of Kung Fu Panda, the Chinese set up colony on Madagascar and expand west, like what almost happened in real life. 
  • Japanese establish colony in South America thanks to their Pelijae, the Ryu (Asian dragons), the Tengu (crows and ravens), Byako (tigers) and the Kitsune (foxes). Also almost like in real life.
  • The relatively pelijae friendly Swedish empire is in shape to be a major power, having not been gutted in the wrath wars and befitting from it's colonies in Vinland. Northern War still happens, cause the Scands want to see who is best viking country. King Charles repels invasions from Saxony-Poland and Denmark-Norway. Russia invades to establish freshwater port. Fight to standstill. Rather than go through what would've been a disastrous attempt to invade Moscow, mage advisers convince Charles to accept terms of Tsar Peter's peace. Russia get's St.Petersburg from Sweden. With some strings attached. Russia expands east, paying fealty to Charles the XII, keeping the empire in power. Enough to finish the great northern war and conquer Denmark-Norway, unifying Scandinavia. 
  • Spanish, English and French still land in usual spots of the Americas. The Italians join them. Do so together as they are together with their common faith, common roots in roman empire and common mistrust of pelijae friendly countries post wrath war. Colonies formed. Revolution and 'Murica still happen. Only with Norse aid from Vinland. Wars between Scandinavian empire and 19th century quadruple entente of France, Italy, Spain and U.K. waged. French revolution never occurs. Neither do the Napoleonic wars.
  • Without slave labor, there's no civil war. Manifest destiny happens, though not as smoothly. More tribe reservations stay in tact due to the Indian tribes also having Pelijae. The pacific is reached as usual. Little difference other than more Indians and slower expansion without slave labor. 
  • Russia colonizes Alaska.  Expands south. Vineland expands west. America expands north. Each seeking to add what is the northern planes and Canadian shield to their territory, until they are halted in their tracks. Someone is already there. Or rather, somepony. That's right. *Bam!* Equestria exists! And it's looks like this:
    Spoiler

RepublicOfEquestira..thumb.png.b0644e9c878409ed38c19413f6960b0a.png

Home to one of the few places on earth where mages aren't a secret society and magic is practiced openly. But the country is rather isolationist, preferring not to be bothered with the issues of the world and just run their empire. Canterlot is where Calgary would've been. Manehatten is Montreal. Ponyville is Edmonton. Vanhouver is.... Vancouver. 

• U.S. doesn't buy Alaska. The Entente don't buy Alaska. Equestria doesn't want Alaska. Russia keeps it. Then finds gold and oil. Russia now has resources to break off from Scandinavian empire. Scands are cool with that. Russia is more useful as a trading partner than a puppet state. Or an enemy with newly found resources.     

• First world war still happens. Scandinavia empire remains neutral. Same with U.S. at first. U.S. deals to both sides.  The allied entente powers want U.S. to stop. U.S. says no. British U-boat sinks Lusitania. America enters on side of the central powers. Entente is defeated. Germanic and central European influence in america is maintained and strengthened, where it was nearly expelled in our timeline. 

• October revolution also happens. Bolsheviks oust the Romanov family. With help of Rasputin the mage, the flee through Siberia to their colony in Alaska. Tsar Nicolas II realized his mistakes cost him his country. Turns Alaska, Yukon and Northwest Territories into the Kievan republic. Secedes power into a constitutional monarchy.  Now there are two Russias. Kiev republic and the U.S.S.R. 

• Dust bowl and great depression happen cause people can't farm or bank worth a damn even with magic. 

• A beaten and economically ravaged entente militarize against their neighbors, resuming the purge of pelijae and their human allies that their ancestors started. France, Italy, Spain and Great Britain pretty much become the new Axis. Same types of delays and appeasements for years until the Entente crosses into Belgium. Then Germany, the Austria-Hungary union and the Ottomans declare war. World war II / War of wrath III begins. The U.K. invades Norway. Scandinavia join the war for the central powers. U.S. and Vinland stay neutral. 

• Soviet union is mostly the same until Lenin dies. Instead of Stalin, the mage Leon Trotski takes charge, like was supposed to happen in our timeline. A radical communist more focused on spreading the influence of the movement. And that movement heads south to China where he aids Chinese communists on mainland Asia and East Africa. this new U.S.S.R. wages war with democratic Hong Kong, Korea, the Japanese Empire and Kiev Republic. Russian backed Chinese forces bomb the Aleutian islands. Threat of war coming to North America spurs U.S. to join in the pacific theater and Vinland in Europe. 

• North American industrial might and more refined atomic weapons against technologically inferior soviet forces win the pacific theater. European theater lasts longer even with U.S. involvement. Russia is reunified after nuking of Moscow. Chinese communist party flee to East Africa and Mongolia. The Chinese democratic party control the nation. And like in our timeline with the Axis, the devastated Entente are rebuilt over the decades. Much larger scale economic booms result than what followed in our timeline. 

• 1969. We don't reach the moon. No competition with the soviets since communism was stamped out when it became exceedingly aggressive.    

• With no Korean or Vietnam wars, everything is relatively peaceful. Things go similarly as in our timeline. 

• Until the Daemon invasion happens, as a portal to the Daemon realm opens on the Russian steppes and the unholy blend of biblical and Lovecraftian horrors as designed by H.R. Geiger spew forth in mass.  Combination of military might and pelijae physical prowess only slows them to a standstill. Even Equestria joins the war for the first time in history.  Every species on earth now fears for the future. That is, until the mages reveal themselves to be more than the stuff of legend....

And that's where our story sorta begins.   

I'll design a world map later but as it stands. 

• Alaska/North west canada = Kiev Republic
  • South Canada/North U.S. = Equestria
  • East Canada= Vinland
  • U.S. mostly the same. 
  • West South American coast = Japan
  • West Europe the same.
  • Germany closer to pre-WWI borders
  • Austro-Hungary empire, Prussia, and Ottoman Empires still exist. 
  • No middle east states that we recognize. 
  • Scandinavia includes entire peninsula and port of St. Petersburg
  • No recognizable African states. 
  • Madagascar and East Africa are Chinese colonies
  • Japan rules over Polynesia. 
  • India rules Oceania, Australia and New Zealand. 

Of course this isn't finite. I'm open to changes or more specific details ironed out. 

On 10/23/2018 at 2:18 PM, Denim&Venom said:

@Buck Testa  @dragon4111 well I had more than a few ideas. Been thinking this over for a while. Here's a very rough timeline of historical events. 

Hope it isn't too much.

Starting from 1000 AD onwards:

Hide contents

• The Nords form pacts with the Garou (werewolves) and the Dracur (dragons). Mostly cause they don't want to enrage the kin of "fenris the God eater and jorgmindr the world serpent. " with them by their side, and maybe a hidden mage to advise (cause you kinda have to be smart to cast spells) the trip to Greenland doesn't go bust. And by extension the colony on the Quebec coast doesn't go bust and *bam!* Vikings discover America! Canada is now the nation of Vinland. 
  • With aid of ancient mages and the pelijae of central asia, the empire of india expands south, island hopping throughout Thailand, Manila and the Philippines until, they reach Australia. India now has a continent and a subcontinent. 
  • Dark ages. Plague happens. Idiot church peasants blame pelijae as hell spawn. Try to burn them at stake. This pisses them off rightly. War of wrath is waged. Villages and city's razed to the ground in revolt. All who would've died in plague are killed by pelijae. Plague is stopped cause cities, and by extension the plague, are burned to the ground. 
  • Europe rebuilds. Church stronger due to mistrust of pelijae. Pope decrees the pelijae to be purged as devils spawn. 2nd war of wrath kicks off. Proper military conflict between catholic nations and pelijae tribes and their human allies (who are also probably mages sick of the witch trials). Pelijae win after Holy Roman Empire is razed. By armies of werewolves. On Dragon cavalry. Church blamed for near apocalypse of humanity. Protestant reformation kinda happens. Catholicism isolated to Western Europe and British isles. Judism has spike in interest. Reconcista fails so Islam has a presence in Europe. Influence of the church is greatly diminished. And thus explaining our lack of religious reaction to the daemon realm in the present. 
  • With infrastructure on the mend, slave trade with Africa doesn't happen. No western expansion into the continent. Instead, another power makes the journey: China. With the help of what's essentially the cast of Kung Fu Panda, the Chinese set up colony on Madagascar and expand west, like what almost happened in real life. 
  • Japanese establish colony in South America thanks to their Pelijae, the Ryu (Asian dragons), the Tengu (crows and ravens), Byako (tigers) and the Kitsune (foxes). Also almost like in real life.
  • The relatively pelijae friendly Swedish empire is in shape to be a major power, having not been gutted in the wrath wars and befitting from it's colonies in Vinland. Northern War still happens, cause the Scands want to see who is best viking country. King Charles repels invasions from Saxony-Poland and Denmark-Norway. Russia invades to establish freshwater port. Fight to standstill. Rather than go through what would've been a disastrous attempt to invade Moscow, mage advisers convince Charles to accept terms of Tsar Peter's peace. Russia get's St.Petersburg from Sweden. With some strings attached. Russia expands east, paying fealty to Charles the XII, keeping the empire in power. Enough to finish the great northern war and conquer Denmark-Norway, unifying Scandinavia. 
  • Spanish, English and French still land in usual spots of the Americas. The Italians join them. Do so together as they are together with their common faith, common roots in roman empire and common mistrust of pelijae friendly countries post wrath war. Colonies formed. Revolution and 'Murica still happen. Only with Norse aid from Vinland. Wars between Scandinavian empire and 19th century quadruple entente of France, Italy, Spain and U.K. waged. French revolution never occurs. Neither do the Napoleonic wars.
  • Without slave labor, there's no civil war. Manifest destiny happens, though not as smoothly. More tribe reservations stay in tact due to the Indian tribes also having Pelijae. The pacific is reached as usual. Little difference other than more Indians and slower expansion without slave labor. 
  • Russia colonizes Alaska.  Expands south. Vineland expands west. America expands north. Each seeking to add what is the northern planes and Canadian shield to their territory, until they are halted in their tracks. Someone is already there. Or rather, somepony. That's right. *Bam!* Equestria exists! And it's looks like this:
      Reveal hidden contents

RepublicOfEquestira..thumb.png.b0644e9c878409ed38c19413f6960b0a.png

Home to one of the few places on earth where mages aren't a secret society and magic is practiced openly. But the country is rather isolationist, preferring not to be bothered with the issues of the world and just run their empire. Canterlot is where Calgary would've been. Manehatten is Montreal. Ponyville is Edmonton. Vanhouver is.... Vancouver. 

• U.S. doesn't buy Alaska. The Entente don't buy Alaska. Equestria doesn't want Alaska. Russia keeps it. Then finds gold and oil. Russia now has resources to break off from Scandinavian empire. Scands are cool with that. Russia is more useful as a trading partner than a puppet state. Or an enemy with newly found resources.     

• First world war still happens. Scandinavia empire remains neutral. Same with U.S. at first. U.S. deals to both sides.  The allied entente powers want U.S. to stop. U.S. says no. British U-boat sinks Lusitania. America enters on side of the central powers. Entente is defeated. Germanic and central European influence in america is maintained and strengthened, where it was nearly expelled in our timeline. 

• October revolution also happens. Bolsheviks oust the Romanov family. With help of Rasputin the mage, the flee through Siberia to their colony in Alaska. Tsar Nicolas II realized his mistakes cost him his country. Turns Alaska, Yukon and Northwest Territories into the Kievan republic. Secedes power into a constitutional monarchy.  Now there are two Russias. Kiev republic and the U.S.S.R. 

• Dust bowl and great depression happen cause people can't farm or bank worth a damn even with magic. 

• A beaten and economically ravaged entente militarize against their neighbors, resuming the purge of pelijae and their human allies that their ancestors started. France, Italy, Spain and Great Britain pretty much become the new Axis. Same types of delays and appeasements for years until the Entente crosses into Belgium. Then Germany, the Austria-Hungary union and the Ottomans declare war. World war II / War of wrath III begins. The U.K. invades Norway. Scandinavia join the war for the central powers. U.S. and Vinland stay neutral. 

• Soviet union is mostly the same until Lenin dies. Instead of Stalin, the mage Leon Trotski takes charge, like was supposed to happen in our timeline. A radical communist more focused on spreading the influence of the movement. And that movement heads south to China where he aids Chinese communists on mainland Asia and East Africa. this new U.S.S.R. wages war with democratic Hong Kong, Korea, the Japanese Empire and Kiev Republic. Russian backed Chinese forces bomb the Aleutian islands. Threat of war coming to North America spurs U.S. to join in the pacific theater and Vinland in Europe. 

• North American industrial might and more refined atomic weapons against technologically inferior soviet forces win the pacific theater. European theater lasts longer even with U.S. involvement. Russia is reunified after nuking of Moscow. Chinese communist party flee to East Africa and Mongolia. The Chinese democratic party control the nation. And like in our timeline with the Axis, the devastated Entente are rebuilt over the decades. Much larger scale economic booms result than what followed in our timeline. 

• 1969. We don't reach the moon. No competition with the soviets since communism was stamped out when it became exceedingly aggressive.    

• With no Korean or Vietnam wars, everything is relatively peaceful. Things go similarly as in our timeline. 

• Until the Daemon invasion happens, as a portal to the Daemon realm opens on the Russian steppes and the unholy blend of biblical and Lovecraftian horrors as designed by H.R. Geiger spew forth in mass.  Combination of military might and pelijae physical prowess only slows them to a standstill. Even Equestria joins the war for the first time in history.  Every species on earth now fears for the future. That is, until the mages reveal themselves to be more than the stuff of legend....

And that's where our story sorta begins.   

I'll design a world map later but as it stands. 

• Alaska/North west canada = Kiev Republic
  • South Canada/North U.S. = Equestria
  • East Canada= Vinland
  • U.S. mostly the same. 
  • West South American coast = Japan
  • West Europe the same.
  • Germany closer to pre-WWI borders
  • Austro-Hungary empire, Prussia, and Ottoman Empires still exist. 
  • No middle east states that we recognize. 
  • Scandinavia includes entire peninsula and port of St. Petersburg
  • No recognizable African states. 
  • Madagascar and East Africa are Chinese colonies
  • Japan rules over Polynesia. 
  • India rules Oceania, Australia and New Zealand. 

Of course this isn't finite. I'm open to changes or more specific details ironed out. 

Here's the thing though. Youd need to really grow this out from the start if you wanted a clear picture of how things got the way they are. We are talking changes to civilization on a fundamental level, where humanity isnt the only sentient species on the planet. 

Humanity's starting point at least from our understanding was Africa, and they poured out from there into other parts of the world relatively uncontested. That is how we dominated the world. Imagine for a second that the Pelijae, in all their various forms, each had their OWN point of origin and grew out from there. Anyone who has played civilization knows how that plays out. Either you ally and trade with the other, having less land as a result, or you attempt to take over in one way or another. 

There is argument to be made that the countries and civilizations we know would not have risen up, instead they would be colored by thousands of years of tradition and intermingling with Pelijae. 

Speaking of which, can they interbreed? If they could the world would have been much more homogeneous by now wouldn't it? 

There is a LOOOOOT of questions that could be brought up in this scenario.

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Buck Testa said:

Here's the thing though. Youd need to really grow this out from the start if you wanted a clear picture of how things got the way they are. We are talking changes to civilization on a fundamental level, where humanity isnt the only sentient species on the planet. 

Humanity's starting point at least from our understanding was Africa, and they poured out from there into other parts of the world relatively uncontested. That is how we dominated the world. Imagine for a second that the Pelijae, in all their various forms, each had their OWN point of origin and grew out from there. Anyone who has played civilization knows how that plays out. Either you ally and trade with the other, having less land as a result, or you attempt to take over in one way or another. 

There is argument to be made that the countries and civilizations we know would not have risen up, instead they would be colored by thousands of years of tradition and intermingling with Pelijae. 

Speaking of which, can they interbreed? If they could the world would have been much more homogeneous by now wouldn't it? 

There is a LOOOOOT of questions that could be brought up in this scenario.

Well I needed to start somewhere. But if we go too far back, then everything becomes unrecognizable and we essentially have ourselves a fantasy-verse, rather than our world but with magic and furries. We gotta strike that balence between Golden Compass levels of diversion and Bright levels of everything is exactly the same. 

And interbreeding? Maybe? Could be how we get centaurs, lamia, cat girls, etc. 

• Brohoof 1

Alright, @dragon4111 , allow me to shed some light on how I feel.

My car broke down and I've been fixing it myself because I don't have an easy or cheap way of taking it to the mechanic. I've received a promotion recently, and it happened just after I was moved to a new sub-team in the company. This not only means me having to learn a ton of new things but also suddenly accepting another ton of other responsibilities I didn't have just until now. I've been wandering around various city facilities to take care of government related stuff as my ID had expired and I had to updates banks, insurance companies etc. etc. with new details. Add to that the fact I had a wedding to attend to which I've missed, so I also had to visit my friends who live A: 320km away, B: 340km away in different directions, as well as my after-hours at work and you'll get a mixture stressfull enough to keep me on edge and in the state of near-permanent exhaustion.

Edit: Oh, and how did I even forget, my 80+yo grandfather is absent minded and giving us hell back in my hometown, so I get a weekly dose of calls from my tired and stressed parents to share in.

I come to forums to relax and detach myself from reality for a moment, and roleplaying is a massive source for that for me. However, if I keep getting mentioned like that, time after time after time, I get disheartened because it starts feeling like a chore. You must understand I have different priorities. If I was to give up on the RP, I would announce it. I do understand that some people might be anxious because I'm delaying the RP, and I know I am delaying it on my own without anybody reminding me.

I do set expected timelines for my posts, but I not always am able to keep them due to random circumstances. That does not mean I've walked away.

Therefore yes, life is still "kicking me in the nuts" and I would really appreciate if at least forums didn't feel like a chore to me. Please do not mention spam me in the RP as I know I need to post without anyone reminding me and any kind of spam will not make me post faster simply because I have different, more important priorities in my life.

Edit2: I am not pissed or angry by the way. I just felt it needed to be said.

• Brohoof 1