Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

ooc Salem University OOC (Open)

Duality

2 hours ago, Passion said:

Oh damn, I need to provide you guys with post today before I leave for Xmas cause I won't know my schedule at home!

@Denim&Venom sure you wanted to mention me and not @Duality?

I'm half asleep and I don't know who's running this thing anymore. But whatever.

@Duality 

New character to replace my original submission. Is that cool?

• Brohoof 1

9 hours ago, Denim&Venom said:

I'm half asleep and I don't know who's running this thing anymore. But whatever.

@Duality 

New character to replace my original submission. Is that cool?

Akane, you mean? She hasn't had any IC time, has she?

4 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

Nope, she has not. And we currently have  our fare share of pre-teen Tsundere's out to fight the system. 

In that case, bring on the new character. :proud:

@Duality

1. Link to character/s you want to apply with
  • Ruby Rain. I'd link to her page but somehow it's not working. So, age: 18. Occupation: Musican. 
  1. Their magical category
  • Geomancer. As far as she knows.
  • Spoiler

she's actually a doppelmancer. Someone who copies the powers of another. Though it's one power set at a time and she doesn't know which she'll get or how to control them. May vary from the strongest user to the closest one to prologned exposure

1. Their character type (including whether they're human or Pelajae).
  • Bat pony pelijae
  • Kinda looks like this.
    Spoiler

post-18785-0-67834200-1459623781_thumb.png

• Brohoof 1

On 12/22/2018 at 1:46 PM, Denim&Venom said:

@Duality

1. Link to character/s you want to apply with
  • Ruby Rain. I'd link to her page but somehow it's not working. So, age: 18. Occupation: Musican. 
  1. Their magical category
  • Geomancer. As far as she knows.
  •   Reveal hidden contents

she's actually a doppelmancer. Someone who copies the powers of another. Though it's one power set at a time and she doesn't know which she'll get or how to control them. May vary from the strongest user to the closest one to prologned exposure

1. Their character type (including whether they're human or Pelajae).
  • Bat pony pelijae
  • Kinda looks like this.
      Reveal hidden contents

post-18785-0-67834200-1459623781_thumb.png

Is she in the Everfree character database under the name Ruby Rain?

59 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

No she isn't. Just in the RP database. 

There we go. Could I just get some exposition on her backstory/characterisation/position in the school and a bit more comprehensive of an explanation of her powers? :mlp_please:

3 minutes ago, Duality said:

There we go. Could I just get some exposition on her backstory/characterisation/position in the school and a bit more comprehensive of an explanation of her powers? :mlp_please:

Huh. Well you found her when even Jeric couldn't. 

Well she was raised in Manehatten. Born under musician parents.  Grew up the socially awkward band geek. Shined in her schools music program and won a number of talent contests for her phenomenal playing. She even earned a full scholarship to leave Equestria and attend Julliard, where she could turn her skill for arrangements & composition and her virtuoso talent for complex and dexterous playing into a career. Perhaps even play alongside her heavy metal heroes. Her playing is how she met Professor Angel, witnessing Ruby play at an amateur night and earning the admiration of Miss Angel's special somepony. As a brainy goth herself who also liked heavy listening, Angel lent her support to somepony else's dreams, especially when nopony else supported hers. 

Unfortunately, it was around this time her powers manifested and her scholarship was revoked and her application denied, due to the dangers an untrained magic user would pose. She was heart broken when every scholarship she got was cancelled, and dismayed at the prospects of being a guitar player for a niche genre following the collapse of the music industry. Without broadening her scope through school, her playing alone wouldn't be enough to earn her a livable income. And now that she had powers, most jobs wouldn't hire her until she was certified. 

Character wise, she's a socially awkward goth punk. Doesn't think highly of herself. Has emotional fits. Tends to get very high highs and rather low lows. May suffer from avoidance personality disorder or an inferiority complex. Gets flustered and embarrassed when she is praised. Hates being alone. 

In school she would be a first year, older then most due to being a late bloomer. 

Power wise she'd be the same as Angel. Manipulating earth and rock, lifting it all with ease,  being able to sense through the ground and stone walls and coat herself in rock. 

Spoiler

Though really, she's a doppelmancer. She copies the powers of other users. She's only a geomancer from being with Angel for so long. Whatever abilities she has can change depending on the strength, proximity, or exposure of other magic users. This means she won't know what powers she'll have or the nuances for controlling them. She'll only have one set of powers, so no mixing and matching

She'll also have her species traits of high speed flight, sonar, night vision and cloud walking. 

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Denim&Venom said:

Huh. Well you found her when even Jeric couldn't. 

I only used the search bar, but I will definitely accept these lucrative bragging rights. :ticking:

Power wise she'd be the same as Angel. Manipulating earth and rock, lifting it all with ease,  being able to sense through the ground and stone walls and coat herself in rock. 

Hide contents

Though really, she's a doppelmancer. She copies the powers of other users. She's only a geomancer from being with Angel for so long. Whatever abilities she has can change depending on the strength, proximity, or exposure of other magic users. This means she won't know what powers she'll have or the nuances for controlling them. She'll only have one set of powers, so no mixing and matching

She'll also have her species traits of high speed flight, sonar, night vision and cloud walking. 

This is subconscious magic duplication, right? It's a fully passive power?

10 minutes ago, Duality said:

I only used the search bar, but I will definitely accept these lucrative bragging rights. :ticking:

This is subconscious magic duplication, right? It's a fully passive power?

To start with, yes. I imagine as she learns to control and harness it she can better choose who she copies. But for now, subconscious. Heck, she's maybe powerful enough for her magic to be sentient and that's what is choosing who to copy. 

• Brohoof 1

To start with, yes. I imagine as she learns to control and harness it she can better choose who she copies. But for now, subconscious. Heck, she's maybe powerful enough for her magic to be sentient and that's what is choosing who to copy. 

Power copying is a very powerful ability and probably should have some weaknesses and drawbacks to it to make it more interesting and balanced. 

My character for instance is ludicrously powerful, however she really can't control the lionshare of her abilities right now without dying and she's currently got that 1% limiter on her so she can't cause campus wide disturbances for awhile. It's also very taxing on her mental state, as it has developed a psyche of its own and influences her rather rapid mood swings. Right now she has a bit of a reprieve from that because of the limiter, however she's still got it to contest with. 

My point being, yes she's powerful, but there are a lot of caveats that come with that. It only focuses on plants, she doesn't really know how to properly use it and she's just winging it intuitively for the most part, It causes rapid and extreme mood swings, it has the potential to overtax her body and potentially kill her if it gets too excited (like in the duel), ect. If she were just powerful and had absolutely no drawbacks to that power whatsoever that would be rather uninteresting. 

What kind of drawbacks could copying powers have?

Rogue from the X-Men for example could only copy the abilities of the people she touched, and she could not turn it off and on. What's more, if she touches anyone too long, even unintentionally, she could kill them as she draws more than just their powers. In fact she even draws in things like personality and memories, which can temporarily and even permanently change who she is as a person. In exchange for a very powerful ability that could have easily made her uninteresting, there are a lot of dynamics that her powers flaws brings in that help define her character's struggles more. 

So what flaws does this power have, what drawbacks does it have that gives your character interesting challenges and conflicts? 

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Buck Testa said:

So what flaws does this power have, what drawbacks does it have that gives your character interesting challenges and conflicts? 

Well like I said, Ruby doesn't get to chose who she copies and doesn't know what power she'll have, nor how to control that power when she gets it. She doesn't know when she'll get that power or for how long. She doesn't even know how to control the powers she thinks she's got. She's about as basic as it can get. I'm just saying she'll get stronger with time and practice. 

Total inexperience and lack of intuition are pretty big drawbacks themselves. 

• Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, Duality said:

Ah, apologies; Christmas bustle - yes, she's approved. Planning to post for her and your other few characters sometime soon?

Will work on it. Needed to know before I included her, Dru, Ley, and Kat into Miko's class. 

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Passion @dragon4111 @Duality @reader8363 @Skylord Nexus

So every pony who's running a teacher, I'm sorta expecting them all to be in the teachers lounge when Angel brings Ruby in to talk. Also this could be a good place to discuss the end results of the "investigation" into the prior weeks incident and who was at fault, if any. 

But it'll most likely be to highlight how much of a pain in the ass Professor Miko is to deal with. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
14 hours ago, Denim&Venom said:

@Passion @dragon4111 @Duality @reader8363 @Skylord Nexus

So every pony who's running a teacher, I'm sorta expecting them all to be in the teachers lounge when Angel brings Ruby in to talk. Also this could be a good place to discuss the end results of the "investigation" into the prior weeks incident and who was at fault, if any. 

Wait, are you planning to post with regards Miko's class to fill the second timeslot for morning lectures? That could be a good segue into lunch break when all the teachers would be reasonably expected to be in the lounge.

Edited by Duality

9 hours ago, Duality said:

Wait, are you planning to post with regards Miko's class to fill the second timeslot for morning lectures? That could be a good segue into lunch break when all the teachers would be reasonably expected to be in the lounge.

Kinda. I had planned to have the teachers lunch break, then segue into Miko's class. But if everyone else would prefer class, then lunch, then I suppose I can relocate Angel and Ruby's talk to her office. 

• Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, Denim&Venom said:

Kinda. I had planned to have the teachers lunch break, then segue into Miko's class. But if everyone else would prefer class, then lunch, then I suppose I can relocate Angel and Ruby's talk to her office. 

Or you could slip the class in as a mild retcon series of posts happening before and up to Angel meeting Ruby in the halls, so by the time they reach the break room the class is over. As long as there's enough narrative indication to keep the timeline relatively consistent, it should be okay.