Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Switch Online Service.

CastletonSnob

Nothing. As game makers they are geniuses, as a game company, I am suspicious of them. They have had since the Gamecube to start building something like this and build up fan support and trust, and only now that everyone else is doing it, and it seems profitable for them are they getting on board in a limited fashion. I'll see what they do with it and where it goes over the next year or so, but for the moment, it is nothing that is going to make me go out and buy anything of theirs.

(edited)
14 minutes ago, GrimGrimoire said:

Nothing. As game makers they are geniuses, as a game company, I am suspicious of them. They have had since the Gamecube to start building something like this and build up fan support and trust, and only now that everyone else is doing it, and it seems profitable for them are they getting on board in a limited fashion. I'll see what they do with it and where it goes over the next year or so, but for the moment, it is nothing that is going to make me go out and buy anything of theirs.

I would think that they'll announce more stuff in the future, like adding SNES and N64 games to the service.

Edited by VG_Addict

Honestly I genuinely like the idea of them turning their retro games into a service a la Game Pass/PSNow/Netflix, I actually think it's a good idea and I hope they can add games from more consoles in a timely manner(no drip feeding BS like they did with the Wii U/3DS). Especially since they're adding online play to these games, imagine if they had announced this with something like Mario Kart 64 or Melee

That said, I don't like the fact that this is more or less a replacement for VC, it's not like the two can't co-exist

• Brohoof 1

Only time will tell if this turns out to be either a fantastic idea or a terrible one.

• Brohoof 2

Personally I'm only getting it for the cloud saves and to continue playing Splatoon 2 online, but I do think around US$20 a year is pretty good for what's being offered. However, I do think the upcoming online service right now is missing a lot of things (like built in voice chat, I'd rather use that since the app is such a terrible Idea) 

I do hope Nintendo does try to improve further on their online service so that it can truly compete with what's being offered on Steam, PSN and XBOX Live.