Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media Media genres you have a love/hate relationship with

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

The title describes it well. Are there genres in any form of media that you both love and hate? Why is it so? Explain thine opinion.

One for me is the Rogue-lite/like genre of video games. It is sadly a fairly over-saturated genre now and it has so many problems. Many games within it suffer from the same issues, like cheap difficulty, repetition, and relying on randomness in place of consistent content. The upside of the genre is that it can have near infinite replayablity, but to me, only games that can really nail it can achieve that. The Binding of Isaac Rebirth along with its expansions, it has enough variety and ways to play it that it rises above the genre's issues, even though it still shares them. A game like Death Road to Canada, is an example of doing it wrong, offering little in terms of actual gameplay variety and just being a chore. So it is a genre I want to love, yet I happen to despise it as well because of its very obvious faults.

I'm a wrestling fan. At times, it can either be the most amazing thing, or the most frustrating thing. 

You can get engaging, dramatic stories told through fantastic displays of human athleticism and choreographed combat. Sagas that take weeks, months or even years to unfold, with a conclusion that's either elating or gut wrenching. Fought by characters that feel real, whether they're heroic or villainous. They tell their stories through the greatest physical displays ever witnessed by a live crowd. 

Or it's just a variety show that appeals to the lowest common denominator. Paper thin, bland or stereotypical characters hired more for their physiques rather than ability or charisma, fighting over convoluted, nonsensical goals in short, unsatisfactory matches or long, drawn out slogs meant to kill air time, usually being safe and by the numbers routine. Or worse, the action in the ring is shorter than the recaps, interviews, backstage segments, advertisements and merchandise plugs. Rather than a story being told through action and athleticism, the story is ham fisted via exposition and promos. It's not a good story told through action. It's a bad story, that just happens to have action in it. 

It's either something you want to show to the world, or hide because of how embarrassing it turns out. 

Best:  Ring Of Honor, New Japan Pro Wrestling, Lucha Underground 

Worst: World Wrestling Entertainment, World Championship Wrestling, Impact/Total Non-stop Action. 

• Brohoof 3

Dubstep. What can I say, it's my favourite music genre...when it's done right. You see, dubstep originated in the early 00's, derived from 2-step garage and dub music. It was calm, relaxing but also had an eerie tone. Once it got popular in the UK, artists experimented with other genres and styles (rock, grime, hip-hop, jazz, IDM, electro, drum and bass, etc.) This is when the genre was at it's peak in my opinion.

Unfortunately as the genre became more popular around the world, it became oversaturated. Too many new artists were trying to copy what was popular at the time instead of making something unique - including the original dubstep artists. It got to the point where artists were completely copying melodies and vocals from other producers and for whatever reason no one complained about it.

Now it's considered a "cool" genre, loads of kids create it themselves and man...does it sound awful. It's sucks now because if you're new to the genre and were to serch it online, you'd more than likely to stumble upon the most poorly produced and mastered song you've ever heard and pass it off as disliking the genre. The same thing happened to me with rap music; everything I heard was trashy rappers talking about money and drugs, which isn't the case if you know where to look.

Then there's the newly branded "EDM" scene that hand picks all the worst songs from the electronic music discography, and plays it to all the people too high and drunk to care and make a huge profit from it. And if you think that's bad, just think of the things they do to those too loosed up on drugs and drink. I'll stop there before I go on a rant. :P

Conclusing: I love "real" dubstep and other electronic genres and cultures; I hate "fake" dubstep and all of EDM culture/marketing.

Sci-Fi. I normally hate sciencey stuff tbh, and thus, I also hate 90% of those films. But hey, if done right, like with Meet the Robinsons and Treasure Planet, it can be one of the best movies ever and reaches my top tier favorites ^^ But usually I hate Sci-Fi.

• Brohoof 1

Video games in general apply here, but specifically free-to-play online games.

I really enjoy most of these games, I truly do. A lot of them are a lot of fun, and I play them a lot for good reason. They are But the issue is that it infuriates me when a company refuses to actually listen to anyone. A great example of the latter was what Hi-Rez did with their game, Paladins: Champions of the Realm during the later part of its year and a half long beta, specifically on the release of Vivian, and on the whole OB64 debacle.

When Vivian released, EVERYONE wanted a new healer, but nope. WE GET A BRAINDEAD DPS THAT HAS A SKILL CEILING SO LOW IT CAN BE REACHED BY A NEW PLAYER. Insanely high damage, but for the price of NO mobility, crud durability, and no crowd control in her ENTIRE KIT. She released so overpowered because she could literally do 16000 damage in a single magazine. In perspective, that's enough to kill all three of the tankiest champions in the entire game. Now because of how she was designed, she's literally useless. She dies consistently to anybody who actually gets behind her and flanks. Every flanker, most all damage champions, and most frontlines can outduel her with zero trouble, even if she has a head start. Heck, this is even true with SUPPORTS to a degree. A Pip with the right loadout for example would be able to three shot her with zero trouble. AND HE'S A SUPPORT.

As for the OB64, what Hi-Rez decided to do here out of pure genius was to introduce a system where you'd literally have to grind up cards to play a non-competitive game. And this was no short grind. Literally nobody got all of the cards in their loadouts to full level because it was very close to impossible to do. It took an INSANE amount of chests to actually level up 1 card, considering you literally had to get over 200 f***ing duplicates to actually get a card... Halfway there. Either that or you have to get 40 duplicates to get them all the way, but finding those in chests is so rare that over 600 hours, I've only found three cards of that rarity in chests, period. No duplicates between those three, either. Basically, you'd never get a viable loadout unless you spent an insane amount of money on premium currency to get chests. 

It really doesn't help that a large portion of any given community of these games are toxic, and will intentionally feed just to get dumb points across for the sake of their egos. Heck, even in Team Fortress 2 which isn't remotely as bad as others I've dealt with, had a lot of toxicity, especially after Meet Your Match came out. 

Zombie stuff. Most of the movies, shows and games are pretty much a one-note snore-fest, but once in a while something fun like Zombieland sneaks in and really entertains me. It seems like the genre is ripe for something fresh.

I love stuff made for little  girls, like Barbie, Strawberry Shortcake and MLP. The problem I have is finding good ones that don't assume it's for an audience of ignorant little blobs with no taste for quality. Make it good or don't make it at all.

Horror movies. There are great movies like Get Out & The Scream series, but some of them just really bore more, and I feel that most take themselves way too seriously, and most of them rely on the characters being stupid just so there can be a movie.