Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Have you ever been obsessed with a specific music sub-genre?

Sepul-Coloratura

(edited)

Have you ever been obsessed with a certain specific sub-genre of music and searched for it?

Right now, I'm searching the early thrash metal (mostly between 1983 to 1992, that's the year that metal production stopped sounding lively) like Kat, NME, Turbo, and german thrash. Also retro thrash revival with the ones that tries to recreate the crude sound production like Antichrist or Deathhammer.

I'm also expanding my territory towards retro synthwave genre started from the early 2010s, I mostly prefer darksynth with heavy distorted instruments with cyberpunk vibe like Perturbator and Dance Wirh the Dead.

I also found a genre that roughly categorized as atmospheric black metal, but there were so much of them and my untrained ears don't seem to find that much of a difference from one and other.

I also like digging early death metal movement when it barely separated from thrash and doesn't have that low-end death metal signiture sound. I specially like the first Morbid Angel album, I think the production is perfect.

I'm also digging less known vintage psychedelic rock from all over the world roughly between 1966-1969 like He-6, Shin Joong Hyun, Night Sun, Please, Comus etc.

What kind of music you are obsessed with and actively trying to find more about it? The more obscure and specific genre, the better.

Edited by Sepul-Coloratura
  • Brohoof 2

I used to be into J-pop and a lot of anime music. I've eased up a bit, but still have my favorites on my phone...

For anime emergencies.

A favorite of mine is "Under 17". They did a lot of my favorite anime themes.

• Brohoof 2

Of course. Dubstep when I was younger and to a degree now still and Metalcore/Deathcore.

• Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

I used to be into J-pop and a lot of anime music. I've eased up a bit, but still have my favorites on my phone...

For anime emergencies.

A favorite of mine is "Under 17". They did a lot of my favorite anime themes.

It's very interesting that many J-Pop and anime music has a certain distinctive structure and formula that isn't seen in any other music genre. It seems like Japan is a strange huge melting pot of cultures and that's hugely because of it's the world's second largest music market. They seem to mix every aspects of different genres and amp it up to 11 and it feels like Willy Wonka's chocolate factory but high on dope. No wonder Marty Friedman got interested in it.

6 hours ago, Fluttershutter said:

I barely understand how to classify music into a genre, let alone a subgenre. Music is just music.

Well, it's a good tool for finding new music that you might like. But genre itself doesn't matter that much if it's just music.

6 hours ago, Lucky Bolt said:

Uhhhh I don’t know what a sub genre is but...I really like...country. :mlp_wat:

Country is one of the most unexplored territories to me. I didn't have a chance to get close to it maybe except for little bit of Bob Dylan and Neil Young.

5 hours ago, Cyclone1066 said:

I had a hick-hop phase a while back.:laugh:

Ha, I didn't even know this genre existed! This is hilarious (no disrespect tho) because it seem like a most unlikely place for hip hop to take root. Kinda feels like christian black metal.

5 hours ago, R.D.Dash said:

Electronic dubstep, but i.wm more rock kind of person.

Who's your favorite dubstep / rock musicians?

(edited)

5 hours ago, The Recherche said:

I was very fond of many Metal subgenres once upon a time (largely Power and Melodic Death), but I largely have moved on to other forms of music.

I still fully confess to enjoying Sabaton quite a bit, however. :-D

8 minutes ago, heavens-champion said:

Power and symphonic metal.

I was in a quest to find a power metal band once. For me, the charm of the genre was to be kinda cheesy but in a good and gorgeous way. I first exposed by it with Emerald Sword by Rhapsody, and I discovered bands like Helloween, Blind Guardian. (obviously the most famous ones). When it comes to melodic death, it seems like a whole new genre born somewhere in the middle of 1990s, and it's the era of music where it moves outside my territory. I tried albums like Storm of the Light's Bane by Dissection, Slaughter of the Soul by At the Gates, and some Children of Bodom stuff, Nightwish. But to me, It hasn't grown on my yet. I'm still trying because lots of melodic death bands are the most famous ones in metal, and it makes me curious.

Edited by Sepul-Coloratura
  • Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, TheTaZe said:

Of course. Dubstep when I was younger and to a degree now still and Metalcore/Deathcore.

Metalcore / Deathcore is one of the metal genres that I'm mostly unfamiliar with. It exploded in the scene at early 2000s after the craze of nu-metal, and I'm not that fond of the genre either except for the first and second Slipknot, Korn album. For me, metalcore/deathcore is the hardest to categorize because even it is very, very distinguishable, it is also hard to explain the aesthetics and characteristics with actual words. And I don't know where the genre came from. For me, this genre to metal is what trap is to rap.

5 hours ago, Renegade the Unicorn said:

Yep, I'm currently obsessed with psychobilly. :laugh:

It's always fascinating that such an aggressive and rebellious genre like punk rock always find inspirations and combines with surf rock, pop rock, etc. And this case, rockabilly. I theorize that it partially started as a ridicule and parody of mainstream pop culture. (like Dead Kennedys, Fear, even The Sex Pistols recorded Johnny B. Goode.)

This genre seems like to take inspirations from the heating energy of 1960s where rock slowly became more and more aggressive while not yet being hard rock. And 60s are one of the most interesting era to find inspirations because not only the western society, but the whole music industry and technology was quickly advancing. I always like to find the post-genres and the band were ahead of it's time that was seemingly impossible to be that heavy at the time like Cro-Magnon, Blue Cheer. I assume you'd like bands like The Monks, The Sonics, Los Saicos. (even they aren't psychobilly and they are legit 60s bands.)

1 minute ago, Sepul-Coloratura said:

I assume you'd like bands like The Monks, The Sonics, Los Saicos. (even they aren't psychobilly and they are legit 60s bands.) 

Yep. The Cramps (arguably America's first psychobilly band) took influence from a lot of 50s rockabilly and 60s garage rock.

• Brohoof 1

I've had lots of obsessions over the years, actually.

In the mid 00s I was really into 70s Soft Rock (I hate to admit, I would have been one of those YouTube commenters who comments on a classic song and says "It's 2006, I'm a teenager, and I listen to this", I totally had that attitude. Nevertheless, I still adore Soft Rock even to this day). In the very late 00s and on it was Brass Rock (like early Chicago, Blood Sweat & Tears, etc.), and then from fall 2013 on, I have been really obsessed with British Folk/Rock.

Mentioning classical music is also relevant, too, but I separate it. I first became obsessed with classical music in the mid 00s. My early interests were primarily Baroque and Classic (Mozart, Beethoven, Haydn). In the late 00s I learned of French Impressionism and fell in love with it. In the early 10s I learned of choral Renaissance music and also became very obsessed with it. In 2013, nearly in conjunction with my interest in British Folk, I delved more into Early Music outside of just the choral Renaissance music. I'm still pretty much obsessed with all of these Classical genres, with Baroque and Early Music tending to be my largest obsessions overall.

This all still oversimplifies things, as I also have had/still have obsessions with 60s/70s Soul/R&B and Progressive/Psychedelic Rock, but I feel like it's harder to pinpoint a particular time of my life that those were most prominent.

Because I like to go all out for this kind of stuff (perhaps more for myself than anyone else, because I don't expect anyone else to actually care) I'll give some examples (although it is still very brief):

70s Soft Rock I adored in the mid 00s:

Spoiler

Brass Rock

Spoiler

British Folk/Rock

Spoiler

Baroque:

Spoiler

Classic:

Spoiler

Clarinetists would hate me for this, as it is such a cliche piece for them, but it was one of the very first classic works I adored, so it has to be posted here:

French Impressionism

Spoiler

Renaissance Choral:

Spoiler

Early Music (non- Renaissance choral):

Spoiler

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Well, I used to be very much into post rock at one time, and I still find it to be one of the best sub-genres of music. I really was into God Is An Astronaut, an Irish group that's made quality music for almost 20 years now. In that time, they've only released 6 or 7 albums which should attest to the attention they give to the quality of their music.

I also have begun to like Electronic Dance music,  thanks to my boyfriend :wub: He makes his own tracks and they sound so good! I also have begun to like DeadMau5 on that note. :)

Edited by Dusklicious
Grammatical Error
  • Brohoof 1

I don't know if I've ever been obsessed with a sub-genre, but I have been obsessed with certain artists now and then. I listened to nothing but Owl City for a while when I was younger, and I also had a Black Gryph0n craze for a bit once. Now I just listen to whatever pops up in my YouTube mixes, so pony stuff mostly. :P

• Brohoof 1