Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does Equestria Have Time Zones?

Denim&Venöm

I don't think it does. It doesn't seem to take all that long to get from the middle of the country to either of the coastal cities. And we don't see all that much of a shift in the time of day when they do arrive. 

So is equestria smaller than we think and is encompassed by one time zone?

• Brohoof 1

Maybe they just skip the passage of time....however your theory makes sense... Celestia raises the sun once, not for the rest of the world....perhaps Equestria is flat too.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I think Equestria is just relatively small and its 'main part' lies within one timezone. Equestria looks like a huge continent (from their point of view), but its real size could be compared to one of our small-mid size countries, when you consider the amount of places it has. So like there is one timezone for the whole smaller country, that's the size of their whole continent. Assuming Equestria is a planet, it apparently is way smaller than Earth.

Equestria being flat is an interesting concept, but that makes me wonder which way the Sun/Moon would come in and out? :P Inb4 the truth will be revealed, that Princesses store the Sun/Moon in a chest somewhere far away-- or just drop these to the sea when not needed. :D 

Edited by Rikifive
  • Brohoof 1

I think they're just cutting down the travel time because unless they want to spend a whole episode tackling how to deal with boredom while crossing the country it's not going to go very well. And if you adjust the time of day throughout the show that will have a weird effect with lighting that no one wants to deal with. This is one of those things where we may see it in the show but is a result of this world being exactly that, a tv show, and can be ignored if not directly addressed.

Equestria was originally heavily based off of North America which has 7 time zones. The current map is roughly double in size from the original but has mostly extended southward so the width of Equestria hasn't changed. We can now see Ice in the north and the south, so the poles are almost visible if the north pole isn't already. That means we're seeing a pretty good chunk of the planet they're on so unless the whole planet has every clock set to a designated Equestrian time, they must have time zones. Then again, times zones were created because things like ships and trains travel fast enough to where they outpace the earth's rotation enough to make a noticeable difference. Before if you travelled by wagon or foot, your progress was so slow that you wouldn't notice that your days don't line up with where you started from. So it's possible that time zone shave not yet been established but I don't think that's the case.