Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How exactly does Rarity have that lovely accent?

Unity

So I was wondering if we have heard Rarity's parents speak at all, I was wondering this because I was wondering How Rarity has that accent of Beta? She isnt from anywhere in Europe that I know of, so maybe her parents gave it to her? And it could also just be a higher class way of speaking rather than an accent considering sweety bell does not have the accent.

• Brohoof 1

Either you grow up some place where the majority speaks like that... or you fake it. Accents aren't very hard to fake so long as you know all the rules with that specific dialect.

So either Rarity lived somewhere with people who spoke in that accent, or the more likely answer she managed to learn the accent and just stuck with it.

• Brohoof 4

Rarity has said that it has been her dream since she was a filly to move to Canterlot and basically be the posh pony she’s always wanted to be. As a young pony, probably obsessively observing Canterlot and it’s community, she most likely purposely began talking like they do in Canterlot, it’s class rubbing off on her. Canterlot’s influence, I think, is why she talks the way she does.

Which is quite lovely ;)

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I agree with the others. She probably picked up the accent from somewhere and it stuck with her. Her parents appear in S2E05 and they don't have the same accent at all, so she couldn't have learnt it from them.

Edited by Cash In
  • Brohoof 1

Accents can be modified over time. I went to a private elementary school, and in first grade those of us with strong Philly accents actually spent time with what I assume was some sort of speech therapist to help eliminate the accent. 

Through the power of Tabitha St. Germain! 

No but really, I think she created it herself. She probably wanted to give off an elegant persona and it became a habit after time. Sweetie Belle doesn't have that accent so..

Her accent could be fake as well, the desire to be upper class may have made her begin trying to mimic their speech patterns to the point where it became second nature.

8 hours ago, Lunar Glow said:

Rarity has said that it has been her dream since she was a filly to move to Canterlot and basically be the posh pony she’s always wanted to be. As a young pony, probably obsessively observing Canterlot and it’s community, she most likely purposely began talking like they do in Canterlot, it’s class rubbing off on her. Canterlot’s influence, I think, is why she talks the way she does.

Which is quite lovely ;)

Do we have any clips of her speaking without it?

I'd say that she developed it over time out of her interest of the fancy life. She always had a dream of going to Canterlot to meet the other high-society ponies instead being in the more humble Poniville, so my bet is that she made it her goal and I guess joy to take on their behavior with her own style of course ^^. 

16 minutes ago, donttellmum said:

Do we have any clips of her speaking without it?

Not that I've found. Clips of her even since she was a filly show her speaking in the posh Canterlot accent.

I think it was part of the "mare" she always pictured she would be as a filly and just hooked onto the accent.   

(edited)

Her accent IS fake, for all intents & purposes:  It's known as the "Transatlantic Accent" and was essentially America's answer to Received Pronunciation in Britain, i.e. a learned upper-crust accent usually taught & enforced at high-end boarding schools and/or acting schools, although the Transatlantic accent pretty much fell out of use by the late 1950's, even in Hollywood, but if you were to watch any American film from like 1927 (when sound movies really caught on) until like 1955 or so, you'd hear the same accent being used, and there are even still voice coaches who teach the accent for actors wanting to do period pieces set in the early 1900's up to the end of WWII:

Explanation

Edited by DJ_Bonebraker
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...