Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why is the "big brother and little sister" relationship usually different from the "big sister and little brother" relationship?

AlicornSpell

(edited)

From my experience growing up, it seems like older brothers are much more closer to their younger sisters than older sisters are to their younger brothers. Also older brothers seem to be a lot more protective of their younger sisters than older sisters are to their younger brothers. Why is that? 

Edited by AlicornSpell

Simple men/boy are expected to fend for themselves whereas big brothers are generally expected to look after their younger siblings when it comes to a physical or emotional attack. If a man is being abused or bullied no one but a cop is expected to step in. But if it's a woman any man around is expected to do something by society and that translates over to the expectations we set for our kids. 

Before anyone says that is sexist or anything understand I am not knocking women. I am merely pointing out that in violent situations men are generally expected in most societies to either handle their business or step up to defend women and children. In most societies, women have no such expectation in such a situation. I feel this dynamic starts its training very young and sets the expectations and thus relationships we have with our siblings. ( yes I know there are different expectations of women but that has no weight on this question as asked. ) 

Now I am not saying that this is good or bad. One can argue either side and still never reach a sure answer. Its just my own view on why this situation occurs. 

• Brohoof 1

31 minutes ago, Jedishy said:

Simple men/boy are expected to fend for themselves whereas big brothers are generally expected to look after their younger siblings when it comes to a physical or emotional attack. If a man is being abused or bullied no one but a cop is expected to step in. But if it's a woman any man around is expected to do something by society and that translates over to the expectations we set for our kids. 

Before anyone says that is sexist or anything understand I am not knocking women. I am merely pointing out that in violent situations men are generally expected in most societies to either handle their business or step up to defend women and children. In most societies, women have no such expectation in such a situation. I feel this dynamic starts its training very young and sets the expectations and thus relationships we have with our siblings. ( yes I know there are different expectations of women but that has no weight on this question as asked. ) 

Now I am not saying that this is good or bad. One can argue either side and still never reach a sure answer. Its just my own view on why this situation occurs. 

I don't know if that has something to do with it or not, but here's the thing: When a older sister starts dating someone, her younger brother most likely won't care at all. But when a younger sister starts dating someone, her older brother will most likely be worried about who she is dating. 

7 minutes ago, AlicornSpell said:

I don't know if that has something to do with it or not, but here's the thing: When a older sister starts dating someone, her younger brother most likely won't care at all. But when a younger sister starts dating someone, her older brother will most likely be worried about who she is dating. 

I feel this is the part of the older sibling having to take on more adult roles with their younger siblings. Vs younger siblings being allowed to stay kids and have fewer worries. But I know jack all about child development/raising so I could be totally wrong. 

2 minutes ago, Jedishy said:

I feel this is the part of the older sibling having to take on more adult roles with their younger siblings. Vs younger siblings being allowed to stay kids and have fewer worries. But I know jack all about child development/raising so I could be totally wrong. 

I think like Fluttershy and Zephyr were both scared about something, overcoming Fear of Facing Shyness and Failing.

But they both over came their situations, and now Fluttershy is more braver and Zephyr is more successful. 

I'm only guessing.

(edited)

I only have two sisters (one older and one younger), so you'll have to take my word on this stuff.

I think it's because older siblings care when their little siblings get hurt, just because you were taught to care growing up. My older sister had to put up with countless skinned knees when I was a kid, and most of the time, it was because I did something dumb. No matter how many times she said "Don't -insert really dumb thing involving bikes or explosives here-", I'd do it anyway, and get hurt. I think she's less protective because she realizes that boys learn things the hard way, and that I'm tough enough to bounce back after I'm hurt.

Now, my younger sister is different. I didn't really have to take care of her when she was growing up (again, older sister's job), but when my older sister moved out and got married (and my older brother wasn't really around), I was suddenly responsible for her. I'm glad that girls are (in general) smarter than guys, because that means they get hurt a lot less. The problem is that when they do get hurt, it's tougher for them to bounce back, because they're not used to being hurt. I can't trust that she's tough enough to take it, because I know she's not, so I want to prevent her from getting hurt rather than let her learn from it.

This applies to dating as well, I think. My older sister doesn't really care too much who I date, since I've been hurt emotionally before and come back from it. I mean let's be real, guys go through relationships like peanuts. But girls get a lot more emotionally invested in relationships, and as a result, get hurt a lot worse when things go south. I'd do anything to protect my little sister from that kind of hurt.

And when I say anything, I mean take emergency leave, fly down to Texas, find the guy who's mistreating her, put him in an armbar and tighten it until he apologizes or I break his arm. Nobody hurts my lil sis.

Edited by Meson Bolt
  • Brohoof 1

It all comes down to individuals and individual situations.

I got in fights with my little brother all the time, mostly because he’d sneak in my room and steal my things when I wasn’t looking. On the other hand, when we got older and my little sisters would straight up try and lie to get him in trouble, I’d step in and reveal that they were being full of crap.

Meanwhile, my mom’s little brother was also a pest, but she also got into a fight with this girl when she found out she was stalking him and generally being a gigantic creeper.

And the dynamic was different in each of our cases as well. I was the oldest of four, and my siblings were my half siblings and lived on the other side of the country. I didn’t get to see them much. But my mom, while she was a big sister, she was the 4th out of 5 kids, AND the youngest girl.

It all just depends. I’m sure there are plenty of younger brothers that get suspicious of their big sister’s boyfriends, and plenty of older sisters that will get defensive of their little brothers.

(edited)
On 6/22/2018 at 11:03 PM, ShadOBabe said:

It all comes down to individuals and individual situations.

I got in fights with my little brother all the time, mostly because he’d sneak in my room and steal my things when I wasn’t looking. On the other hand, when we got older and my little sisters would straight up try and lie to get him in trouble, I’d step in and reveal that they were being full of crap.

Meanwhile, my mom’s little brother was also a pest, but she also got into a fight with this girl when she found out she was stalking him and generally being a gigantic creeper.

And the dynamic was different in each of our cases as well. I was the oldest of four, and my siblings were my half siblings and lived on the other side of the country. I didn’t get to see them much. But my mom, while she was a big sister, she was the 4th out of 5 kids, AND the youngest girl.

It all just depends. I’m sure there are plenty of younger brothers that get suspicious of their big sister’s boyfriends, and plenty of older sisters that will get defensive of their little brothers.

I am pretty sure the last part about "younger brothers that get suspicious of their big sister’s boyfriends" is something that doesn't happen often much though. All the younger brothers that I knew who had older sisters (who were dating), didn't seemed to care that much about them having a boyfriend. All the older brothers that I knew who had younger sisters (who were dating) on the other hand, seemed to worry a lot about them having a boyfriend. 

Edited by AlicornSpell

3 hours ago, AlicornSpell said:

I am pretty sure the last part about "younger brothers that get suspicious of their big sister’s boyfriends" is something that doesn't happen often much though. All the younger brothers that I knew who had older sisters (who were dating), didn't seemed to that much about them having a boyfriend. All the older brothers that I knew who had younger sisters (who were dating) on the other hand, seemed to worry a lot about them having a boyfriend. 

My point though is that you’re just one human being in one part of the world.

Just because you haven’t observed it, doesn’t mean it isn’t happening elsewhere.

(edited)
7 hours ago, ShadOBabe said:

My point though is that you’re just one human being in one part of the world.

Just because you haven’t observed it, doesn’t mean it isn’t happening elsewhere.

Still I have asked a lot of people on the internet, and they agreed with me about that statement of older brothers being way more protective of their younger sisters than younger brothers are of their older sisters when it comes to dating.

Also often in TV shows and movies, when a younger sister starts dating, her older brother starts getting overprotective. But in TV shows and movies, when a older sister starts dating, her younger brother doesn't usually care.

Edited by AlicornSpell

I had two older sisters. They would treat me like a doll....dress me up and make me play. Soon, one sister was no longer with my family. So when I grew up a bit more, i was kinda protective of my older sister. She would try to teach me to be level headed and smart, while i tried to teach her to beat people up. Whenever she started dating, i had to know who it was. One time she had a fight with a bad boy friend and I chased him away with a shovel....a 12 year old chasing a dude in a Honda away.

I think it comes down to the masculine brain/mindset. Men will always want to protect women and vice versa. They just have different ways of going about it. I know in a few animes the little brother wants to be like his older sister or grow up and make her proud. In cartoons i notice they have the sibling rivalry going, but when push comes to shove they always protect or make the other proud of them. Older brothers want to show their sisters guys arent all mean and scary and gross. Younger brothers want to show older sisters they consider them a role model/hero.

1 hour ago, Rainbow Dash said:

I had two older sisters. They would treat me like a doll....dress me up and make me play. Soon, one sister was no longer with my family. So when I grew up a bit more, i was kinda protective of my older sister. She would try to teach me to be level headed and smart, while i tried to teach her to beat people up. Whenever she started dating, i had to know who it was. One time she had a fight with a bad boy friend and I chased him away with a shovel....a 12 year old chasing a dude in a Honda away.

I think it comes down to the masculine brain/mindset. Men will always want to protect women and vice versa. They just have different ways of going about it. I know in a few animes the little brother wants to be like his older sister or grow up and make her proud. In cartoons i notice they have the sibling rivalry going, but when push comes to shove they always protect or make the other proud of them. Older brothers want to show their sisters guys arent all mean and scary and gross. Younger brothers want to show older sisters they consider them a role model/hero.

I agree with your statement. But it is just "FACT" that older brothers are way more protective of their younger sisters than younger brothers are to their older sister when it comes to dating.