Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why Twilight and Cadence will not outlive their friends and family.

Regis Stella

Greetings everypony

My name is Regal Charmer the First and i have a something i want to talk about since i've join to Brony fandom two years ago,

The fact that Twilight Sparkle and Cadence will not outlive their friends and family somepony will, What do i mean, well ascended alicorns (In my eyes) don't have the same crazy amounts of magic like Celestia and Luna and Flurry Heart enough to move at least the moon and at most the sun, and they don't have the 'extended lifespan' like Celestia and Luna, let's face it we was so surprised how powerful Flurry's magic was in the beginning of season 6 and how advanced it has become in season 7, the point is natural born alicorns like Celestia and Luna are so strong they can move at least the moon and/or shatter the Crystal Heart and are immortal, while ascended alicorns like Twilight and Cadence don't have immortality and the 'move the sun and the moon' magic,

so that means, if you haven't figured it out then i'll simplify, Twilight will not outlive her friends nor will her friends become alicorns, and Cadence will not outlive Shining Armor, But Flurry Heart will.

please leave your thoughts down below.

And the question of how Luna and Celestia (who also weren't born alicorns, given 'tia said Flurry was the first pony to be born an alicorn) are effectively immortal....

Even the very first episode refers to them using unicorn powers to raise the sun and moon.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Jeric said:

Tia and Luna actually aged and changed as evidenced by Season 7 and 8 dialogue. 

Curious if there is a connection to the Tree though; all the Mane 6 and of course the Royal Sisters have their cutie marks on the Tee (the rest of the mane 6 somewhat retroactively, of course) and 'tia/Luna have been shown as intimately connected - to the extent that they were captured by discord's plunder vines as part of their attack on the Tree.

If the tree is sustaining the Royal Sisters, then it is possible it is also sustaining the Mane 6 (but not the Crystal Empire royal family or glimglam etc) which would bring in other problems (I can't imagine AJ liking outliving all her family).  I think the fact that Luna reverted to a filly when freed of her nightmare "shell" is also interesting - perhaps their "age" is variable, either via Alicorn powers or as a consequence of the almighty bitchslap the Elements dealt her....

They were unicorns at first weren’t they?

Spoiler

Once upon a time, in the magical land of Equestria, there were two regal sisters who ruled together and created harmony for all the land. To do this, the eldest used her unicorn powers to raise the sun at dawn; the younger brought out the moon to begin the night. Thus, the two sisters maintained balance for their kingdom and their subjects, all the different types of ponies. But as time went on, the younger sister became resentful. The ponies relished and played in the day her elder sister brought forth, but shunned and slept through her beautiful night. One fateful day, the younger unicorn refused to lower the moon to make way for the dawn. The elder sister tried to reason with her, but the bitterness in the young one's heart had transformed her into a wicked mare of darkness: Nightmare Moon.

16 minutes ago, Jeric said:

This. I wanted to build upon this. I'm pretty sure alicorns are all ageless immortals. As they age they gain more and more power and an increase in height. This is why it is usually shown that Luna is smaller than Celestia even though technically they are both sisters. When Luna was sent to the moon, she didn't age at all which in turn made her not gain any power over the time she was there. I'm pretty sure that cadance and twilight are both ageless immortals but are both so young that they don't show their full capability.

2 minutes ago, Totally Nye said:

They were unicorns at first weren’t they?

Hide contents

Once upon a time, in the magical land of Equestria, there were two regal sisters who ruled together and created harmony for all the land. To do this, the eldest used her unicorn powers to raise the sun at dawn; the younger brought out the moon to begin the night. Thus, the two sisters maintained balance for their kingdom and their subjects, all the different types of ponies. But as time went on, the younger sister became resentful. The ponies relished and played in the day her elder sister brought forth, but shunned and slept through her beautiful night. One fateful day, the younger unicorn refused to lower the moon to make way for the dawn. The elder sister tried to reason with her, but the bitterness in the young one's heart had transformed her into a wicked mare of darkness: Nightmare Moon.

Early Installment Weirdness at its finest. That was in the pilot far before the term Alicorn was canonized.

• Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, CypherHoof the Reblanked said:

And the question of how Luna and Celestia (who also weren't born alicorns, given 'tia said Flurry was the first pony to be born an alicorn) are effectively immortal....

Even the very first episode refers to them using unicorn powers to raise the sun and moon.

Take note that the alicorns where an officially unnamed race of ponies early on. In fact, alicorn was a fan term until it was canonized in Magical Mystery Cure. Plus the fact that McFlurry was the first alicorn born, IN EQUESTRIA HISTORY, can be interpreted that Celestia and Luna weren't born in Equestria. Which according to the Journal of the Two Sisters, both sisters where born alicorn, in fact, they belonged to a tribe of alicorns. Second, that tribe, and by extension them, where living in what is now Canterlot, but it wasn't part of the newly founded Equestria. Third, Cellie and Luna where still young ponies when they were picked to rule Equestria, so it's possible they where the youngest  alicorns at the time

2 hours ago, TheTaZe said:

This. I wanted to build upon this. I'm pretty sure alicorns are all ageless immortals. As they age they gain more and more power and an increase in height. This is why it is usually shown that Luna is smaller than Celestia even though technically they are both sisters. When Luna was sent to the moon, she didn't age at all which in turn made her not gain any power over the time she was there. I'm pretty sure that cadance and twilight are both ageless immortals but are both so young that they don't show their full capability.

The Journal also mentions natural-born alicorns DO age, but much slower. It also extends the acquisition of their butt-tats 

Just now, Steve Piranha said:

The Journal also mentions natural-born alicorns DO age, but much slower. It also extends the acquisition of their butt-tats 

But sadly, none of the writings are canon, and are more often than not contradicted by the actual show - so best not to rely on them too much.

• Brohoof 1

9 minutes ago, CypherHoof the Reblanked said:

But sadly, none of the writings are canon, and are more often than not contradicted by the actual show - so best not to rely on them too much.

Not necessarily. It's true that the written works are specially subjected to be contradicted by the show (like Clover and Puddinhead being dudes while Hurricane was the only dude founder in the book), but remember that the show, while it takes a lot of care in keeping continuity, it isn't immune to contradict itself either, like having Apple relatives in Hollow Shades, or Meadowbrook being an eastern unicorn 

1 minute ago, Steve Piranha said:

Not necessarily. It's true that the written works are specially subjected to be contradicted by the show (like Clover and Puddinhead being dudes while Hurricane was the only dude founder in the book), but remember that the show, while it takes a lot of care in keeping continuity, it isn't immune to contradict itself either, like having Apple relatives in Hollow Shades, or Meadowbrook being an eastern unicorn 

Sure; the books aren't necessarily wrong, but they aren't necessarily right either. Now Berrow is on the writing team, I am imagining they will be lothe to contradict their own book canon in-show, but I would have been much happier if they had made the official books (and maybe the comics) canon too.

Best would be of course if the show addressed their origin story directly (we DO need more royal sisters episodes) but not holding my breath on that one.

2 hours ago, Jeric said:

Hasbro screwed over the fan theory of how Celestia’s hair changed from pink to multi-colored.

2 hours ago, TheTaZe said:

Hm. Sounds like a magical asymptotic process. I like that. 

• Brohoof 1

I haven't read anything about the nature of alicorns that seems to be set in stone, there are several bits of conflicting information in the lore. However, I don't believe in Twilight and Cadance outliving anyone. We have writer confirmation about Twilight never outliving her friends from Meghan McCarthy, and while things can change, I don't see how such an idea would ever be deemed suitable for the show, knowing its nature.

4 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

the fact that McFlurry was the first alicorn born, IN EQUESTRIA HISTORY, can be interpreted that Celestia and Luna weren't born in Equestria. Which according to the Journal of the Two Sisters, both sisters where born alicorn, in fact, they belonged to a tribe of alicorns.

What about the alicorn in Grannies Gone Wild? I know it was an animator's mistake but there could be a chance of alicorn who are regular citizens and not of high social status.  

• Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...
On 7/21/2018 at 3:41 AM, Regis Stella said:

please leave your thoughts down below.

My only thought is that alicorns are OP :dry:

Also, Twilight kinda will outlive all her friends, as the last episode hinted on that. Quite difficult to see. it was difficult to accept at the end of Season 3, seeing the grave stones of each of the Mane 6, and Twilight still being alive.