Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anyone glad Sony didn't make the movie?

heavens-champion

Remember how Sony was originally going to make the My Little Pony movie, but Hasbro went with Lionsgate instead due to Sony wanting to make it a live-action movie where the Mane 6 wind up in the real world? Sure, Lionsgate did a lousy job at advertising it, but at least they weren't going to make it live action. Anyone glad Sony never made it?

• Brohoof 2

I hadn't heard of that before... but if Sony really planned to do something like that, I'm certainly glad it never happened. :P Equestria being an interesting setting is a large part of the appeal of MLP to me – having the characters in our world would take that all away. Based on it being partially live-action, I'm guessing the ponies themselves would have been CGI (though I might be wrong). While I like some fan-created content with CGI ponies, I definitely think the traditional look is better for official MLP content.

Edited by Tacolantern
  • Brohoof 2

While the MLP movie we got certainly had it's problems, I am thankful it was a truly animated film. While it's no guarantee Sony would've done a "ponies in the real world" sort of scenario; I wouldn't have much faith in such a concept. I'm grateful for what we got; period.

• Brohoof 2

I think a Sony backed MLP movie could have worked. Just not the live action route. I don't think hasbros creative would've allowed it. Sony are helping make the movie, not write or direct it. 

Sony can make good kids movies. Just look at Surfs Up.  Imagine if the mlp movie had that kind of dedication. And while the emoji movie was an affront to film itself, the only reason it got more attention than it did was through advertising. Imagine if the mlp movie got that kind of ad budget. 

Yeah, it's a Long shot, but not unfeasible. Sony could make a good movie if they tried hard enough. And with the vision Hasbro and DHX had with MLP, I don't think they would've settled for half baked. 

Also the smurfs are a bad example cause no one has given a damn about the smurfs in over 30 years. 

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Denim&Venom said:

Also the smurfs are a bad example cause no one has given a damn about the smurfs in over 30 years. 

I mean, that's fair, but at the same time the comparison was about the plot/storyline, not about the current popularity of the material getting a movie.

• Brohoof 1

8 minutes ago, DJShy said:

I mean, that's fair, but at the same time the comparison was about the plot/storyline, not about the current popularity of the material getting a movie.

Relevance of a material does determine how much effort is put into a story. If there's no advocates about the material, then there's no one to care about it being done right. 

Nobody gave enough of a damn about the smurfs to watch the creators like a hawk. And there were no fans to call fowl. Plus whomever owns the smurfs IP didn't have the clout or the desire to enforce how the subject matter was treated. 

Hasbro is one of the biggest toy makers in America, owning iconic IPs. DHX staff are heavily invested in what they created. Amy Keating Rogers, MA Larson, even Faust would've interjected with how the movie would've been handled. And then there's the fan base. One of the primary sources of income for the film. They can make or break the movie. None of the above would have allowed anything less than perfection with what Sony has proven to be capable of. And I'm talking as a brand name and tech giant. 

So maybe it was a good thing Sony didn't get the part. Cause the expectation would've been higher and the risk of disappointment greater. 

• Brohoof 1

Were it an animated film, I think they might have done a good job. However, looking at Hasbro's reason for deciding not to do it with them, I feel they made the right decision going with Lionsgate instead. Making a good live-action film based off of a cartoon series isn't impossible, but there's another problem besides capturing the spirit of the cartoon with live-action, the problem so many adaptations of that nature have. This was the first actual MLP movie based off of G4, and just imagining the kind of things that could've gone wrong with the CGI, a plot that could've easily been a second-rate retread of the plot of the second SpongeBob movie, and the impressions that would leave on people who had never even seen Friendship is Magic before...oh, my mind. :scoots: Very happy they stuck to 2D animation and gave that style a chance at a comeback in theaters. 

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, CloudMistDragon said:

Were it an animated film, I think they might have done a good job. However, looking at Hasbro's reason for deciding not to do it with them, I feel they made the right decision going with Lionsgate instead. Making a good live-action film based off of a cartoon series isn't impossible, but there's another problem besides capturing the spirit of the cartoon with live-action, the problem so many adaptations of that nature have. This was the first actual MLP movie based off of G4, and just imagining the kind of things that could've gone wrong with the CGI, a plot that could've easily been a second-rate retread of the plot of the second SpongeBob movie, and the impressions that would leave on people who had never even seen Friendship is Magic before...oh, my mind. :scoots: Very happy they stuck to 2D animation and gave that style a chance at a comeback in theaters. 

Indeed. Plus the ponies would look... off.

• Brohoof 2

Ho'boy , here we go, I mean I can drop the basic changes before the movie got released but from what I can tell I am really happy that we didn't see the Sony version. The following changes haven't made it into the final release.

__

1.A darker version of the movie that's going to be just like Smurfs!? (I am sure that's not going to end in disaster). Also humans are going to be there too.

2.The first ever male alicorn Cosmos who is the brother of the royal sisters

3. Tempest Shadow is going to get a prostetic horn (well good for her) she is also Cosmos alterego or something equally confusing

4. Storm King is going to be more badass wolf-dragon who stole his staff from some King who might have been Scorpan

5 Capper gets species change into a fox named Mendax, also he has a scorpion tail for some reason.

6. Kludgetown is just a giant skeleton of a long dead dragon with the heart made of crystal that the citizens are trying to mine.

7. Captain Celaeno gets changed into a harpy and she and her crew are reformed villains.

Edited by R.D.Dash

On 10/24/2018 at 3:52 PM, CloudMistDragon said:

Not to mention a greater focus on the live action characters over the ponies :mlp_lie:. Also the whole likely uncanny valley with the CGI horses :eww:

Edited by Steve Piranha

On 10/24/2018 at 9:01 AM, PathfinderCS said:

While the MLP movie we got certainly had it's problems, I am thankful it was a truly animated film. While it's no guarantee Sony would've done a "ponies in the real world" sort of scenario; I wouldn't have much faith in such a concept. I'm grateful for what we got; period.

Such a thing would do well if done right, but the problem is that it likely wouldn't be done right.

• Brohoof 1