Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Spike is so happy, so why does it bother me?

FlareGun45

I wanna get to the bottom of this problem. Spike's my favorite character on the show I wanna see him treated fairly and be as happy as he can! Be he is happy, and he seems pretty satisfied. Why is he so satisfied? Dragon outsider living among ponies and at the same time being a sidekick and never complains about it, a one-sided crush without end or going through with it, called a main character but barely does main character things... and also before it was fixed, he was the slapstick character, and yet he never complained about it. Twilight's the closest thing to his family and doesn't even go on the Sparkle family vacation? YES, he offered to stay behind, I know. This dude always gives and gets so little, and yet he's always been so happy, so satisfied, And yet there's also people who don't like him for all the good he's done.

I shouldn't care about any of this, but I do. Me being bothered about this bothers me more than all of that. I wish to not care anymore cause he's happy, so why aren't I happy about it? How can I fix this?

C'mon you're my friends and I do alot for you, so how about you return the favor and help me out with this? Hey, it's a favor for you too! We get to the bottom of this, and maybe I won't complain about it anymore. It's a win-win, brahs! How do we fix this?

• Brohoof 2

I can see why people think Spike gets the short end of the stick a lot, but the reason he's happy is because of what he's willing to do for his friends. When his friends do things that honestly annoy him, he usually makes a sarcastic rejoinder to let them know that he's irritated. He doesn't just take everything lying down. If it ever got to the point where he truly felt mistreated by his friends, for sure, he would stick up for himself. Otherwise, the reason he's so happy is perfectly legitimate, because he loves his friends and shows that love by always helping them out. :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 2

some people (or dragons) are just happy with their lot in life. Spike is....everything you already summed up. He's got a good life, and even if he sees he gets the short end of the stick some days, we all do. He takes his lumps and is content with his friends and how he's living, because he know it could be worse and has seen it could be worse (like how other dragons live) All in all, he knows he's got it pretty good.

• Brohoof 1

There people that want more and more, trying to achieve everyting they want etc. And then their people like Spike, who are already happy with what they currently have and don't need anything more in their life to feel happy and satisfied.

• Brohoof 1

I use to hate him so much until A matter of principles. He became one of my favorite characters  I actually feel bad about how I treated him in the past. He truly is a great character. And derseves a lot more than what he gets. I’m sorry if all the times I insulted spike. I wish there was a way I could make it up to him.

It's because there are those of us who would not be happy being in his position. There are questions that demand an answer. I for one have grown a bit tired of the awkwardly imposed relativity of self when it comes to Spike the dragon. Gulp down a bucket of reindeer piss and call him a sea slug. He'll still remain a dragon no matter what you believe.

• Brohoof 1

Spike gets respected, he's the Hero of the Crystal Empire three times, Friendship Ambassador to the Dragons, and Twilight's Assistant and Friend. 

He's proven himself to be part of the team.

Edited by Brainstorm
  • Brohoof 2

There's no major problem here. People can still live a satisfying life despite "getting the short end of the stick".

@FlareGun45, I'm only saying this to advise you, but it sounds more like you want Spike to get what You want him to get to be happy rather than what Spike himself wants to be happy.

Picture that these characters are real people, for a moment. You don't nor shouldn't go around being the one to demand person So and So needs this or that to be happy. Everyone is different and it's THEIR likes and dislikes that determines what makes them happy. Them, and no one else.

How would you feel if I came up to you and said, "you don't have a job at Disneyland so you're not happy". It doesn't work that way. I may want to work at Disneyland. But that's what would make me happy and not necessarily what you desire.

The fact remains that Spike is happy despite his "butt monkey" status and we should happy for Spike being content despite bad things happening to him. Anyone who can find happiness no matter what life throws at them is a great person.

In-universe, No one controls Spike's means of being happy but him.

29 minutes ago, Brainstorm said:

Spike gets respected, he's the Hero of the Crystal Empire three times, Friendship Ambassador to the Dragons, and Twilight's Assistant and Friend. 

He's proven himself to be part of the team.

Exactly

Edited by Will Guide
Point out how Spike is amazing
  • Brohoof 2

2 minutes ago, Will Guide said:

There's no major problem here. People can still live a satisfying life despite "getting the short end of the stick".

@FlareGun45, I'm only saying this to advise you, but it sounds more like you want Spike to get what You want him to get to be happy rather than what Spike himself wants to be happy.

Picture that these characters are real people, for a moment. You don't nor shouldn't go around being the one to demand person So and So needs this or that to be happy. Everyone is different and it's THEIR likes and dislikes that determines what makes them happy. Them, and no one else.

How would you feel if I came up to you and said, "you don't have a job at Disneyland so you're not happy". It doesn't work that way. I may want to work at Disneyland. But that's what would make me happy and not necessarily what you desire.

In-universe, No one controls Spike's means of being happy but him.

Exactly

That is not what’s @FlareGun45 is saying he is saying that spike deserves more than what he gets.

25 minutes ago, Nightmare glim said:

That is not what’s @FlareGun45 is saying he is saying that spike deserves more than what he gets.

It doesn't matter. My point still stands that if Spike's happy, we as his "fans" shouldn't be demanding this stuff for him.

Heck, that actually could have been a good plot point for Spike and his "fans" in-universe if they had time. Spike meets his "fans" who seemed nice at first until it's revealed that they started to harass anyone who seems to be "getting in the way" of Spike's happiness. Heck, for all we know, maybe some of Rarity's "in-universe haters" could have been so for the additional reason of Rarity not getting with Spike. Knowing Spike, as much as he loves Rarity, he wouldn't stand for his "so-called fans" harassing Rarity like this. And I know in the fanbase there's a group of people who hate Rarity just for not "returning Spike's affections" and that disappoints me because the fanbase are focusing on the wrong issue.

And on one last note, Spike got his own throne next to Twilight's meaning the Tree of Harmony itself has given Spike respect. And Spike must have been very happy. He doesn't have to say it out loud to show that's he happy with what he's got.

I have stated my stance on this topic and hope that readers shall take away my point on the matter.

Just now, Will Guide said:

It doesn't matter. My point still stands that if Spike's happy, we as his "fans" shouldn't be demanding this stuff for him.

Heck, that actually could have been a good plot point for Spike and his "fans" in-universe if they had time. Spike meets his "fans" who seemed nice at first until it's revealed that they started to harass anyone who seems to be "getting in the way" of Spike's happiness. Heck, for all we know, maybe some of Rarity's "in-universe haters" could have been so for the additional reason of Rarity not getting with Spike. Knowing Spike, as much as he loves Rarity, he wouldn't stand for his "so-called fans" harassing Rarity like this. And I know in the fanbase there's a group of people who hate Rarity just for not "returning Spike's affections" and that disappoints me because the fanbase are focusing on the wrong issue.

And on one last note, Spike got his own throne next to Twilight's meaning the Tree of Harmony itself has given Spike respect. And Spike must have been very happy. He doesn't have to say it out loud to show that's he happy with what he's got.

I have stated my stance on this topic and hope that readers shall take away my point on the matter.

I suppose.

1 hour ago, Will Guide said:

I wasn't DEMANDING anything lmao! XD I was just stating that it's a problem that I, personally, think it should be looked upon! However, if they don't do it, fine! They have the right to make, I have the right to complain, you have right to complain about this complaint! ;)

If ya really want satsfaction, ya gotta do it yourself. Make a better show! Then who's the real winner here? You are! Just stay true to your work and don't delete a character off your show just because people find him offensive when he's actually one of the best characters on the show! Take Apu for example!

• Brohoof 3

5 hours ago, FlareGun45 said:

I wasn't DEMANDING anything lmao! XD I was just stating that it's a problem that I, personally, think it should be looked upon! However, if they don't do it, fine! They have the right to make, I have the right to complain, you have right to complain about this complaint! ;)

If ya really want satsfaction, ya gotta do it yourself. Make a better show! Then who's the real winner here? You are! Just stay true to your work and don't delete a character off your show just because people find him offensive when he's actually one of the best characters on the show! Take Apu for example!

Exactly that’s what I was telling @Will Guide but he didn’t listen to me. 

53 minutes ago, Nightmare glim said:

Exactly that’s what I was telling @Will Guide but he didn’t listen to me. 

Because you were missing my point.

And I gave FlareGun that earlier post because I was trying to give a cautionary tale about how fans can lose sight of what's important. I even gave him a brohoof to mean "While I disagree with FlareGun's OP, I accept it's his opinion."

Spike is already happy and it is my belief that it's not up to us, the fanbase to DEMAND that he gets something more than that because our "demands" makes it sound more like we want the show to happen OUR way or no way, rather than Spike himself would want. It doesn't work like that.

This is twice I made my point. Please 

(By the way, I capitalize some words to empathize them since on mobile, using the italics button somehow makes my phone duplicate the words as italics and plain together.

Example: ExampleExample

As soon as I hit the spacebar, it duplicate the word in plain text, see? Using Mobile sucks sometimes.)

Edited by Will Guide