Inconsistencies Discussion

Clover Heart

I thought we could bring up and discuss any inconsistencies we find in the show. I don't mean this in a way that's knocking the show, and pointing out flaws, but rather, I'm interested in these kinds of things. Secrets, goofs, glitches, all that stuff. And I thought other ponies might be, too. If you find talk like this too picky, though, you're under no obligation to reply. I look forward to things you all have noticed :)

A few that I noticed recently:

Scootaloo can't fly yet, and yet, Pound Cake (Mr. and Mrs. Cake's son) can. I realize that two foals may be developmentally different, as children are. However, this seemed like a huge age gap. We don't know Scootaloo's age, but I think it's safe to presume that compared to humans, she's elementary-school-aged, putting her at 7-12 years old. Pound Cake, on the other hand, we first see flying all over the place as young as a month old. That means that their age difference is new born to, at least, 7 years old, which are leaps and bounds away from each other, developmentally speaking. We might not know how pegasi grow, but it would seem logical, for any species, that the older ones have more ability than the younger ones.

In the episode "Call of the Cutie" (S01E12,) Apple Bloom is one of the only foals in her class not to have a cutie mark. Toward the end of the episode, she meets Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo for the first time. However, we see in later episodes (such as Hearts and Hooves Day (S02E17) and Ponyville Confidential (S02E23)) that all three go to the same school. I suppose it could be argued that Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo went to different schools before then, but all three seem to live in Ponyville and knew Diamond Tiara before her party. Ponyville is kind of a small town, and doesn't seem to have more than one school, and as a native Ponyvillian, it would seem unlikely that they didn't live in Ponyville before meeting Apple Bloom.

Also, it seems very unclear where Sweetie Belle lives. The only time it seems explicitly implied is in the episode "Sisterhooves Social" (S02E05,) where Rarity is made to take care of Sweetie Belle by her parents, implying that she isn't Sweetie Belle's primary guardian/care-taker. However, we see implications that she may live with Rarity, as seen in "Ponyville Confidential" (S02E23) where Sweetie Belle leaves her saddlebag on the floor at Rarity's boutique, and also is seen spending time in a room that seems to be hers, or at least, designated for her use.

Scootaloo's wings? She can fly in my opinion but she chooses not to, simply because either she doesn't like to or she's scared of something.

Sweetie Belle? It's safe to assume she lives with Rarity now after the sister hood social episode and that the CMC ussually sleepover at rarity's, but Sweetie acts as the host.

(edited)

I think with the Sweetie Belle statement, she lives with her parents, but we just don't know where they live yet. I'm with my older sister almost as much as my parents, because she's a lot older than me and I see her as a parental figure. In a small town like where I live, she lives just 4 blocks away. Sweetie is probably old enough to travel around town alone, at least to go hang out with her sister. Maybe her parents work so she stays with Rarity a lot. That's what I do. Heck, half the time I just leave my stuff over there because I know I'll be back the next day.

Edited by MaggieXawesomeness
  • Brohoof 4

(edited)

I think with the Sweetie Belle statement, she lives with her parents, but we just don't know where they live yet. I'm with my older sister almost as much as my parents, because she's a lot older than me and I see her as a parental figure. In a small town like where I live, she lives just 4 blocks away. Sweetie is probably old enough to travel around town alone, at least to hang out with her sister. Maybe her parents work so she stays with Rarity a lot. That's what I do.

Your post came up while I was writing mine. You explained it much better then I did.

:P

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 1

Your post came up while I was writing mine. You explained it much better then I did.

:P

Well, it does seem the most obvious. After school I go strait to my sister's house. It's not like their parents would just give Sweetie Belle to Rarity XD. I could see how that would go... lol

Scootaloo's wings? She can fly in my opinion but she chooses not to, simply because either she doesn't like to or she's scared of something.

Sweetie Belle? It's safe to assume she lives with Rarity now after the sister hood social episode and that the CMC ussually sleepover at rarity's, but Sweetie acts as the host.

Scootaloo can obviously fly. Her wings have enough power to propel a wooden scooter with her on it.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLfJSDO0gp0

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Well, it does seem the most obvious. After school I go strait to my sister's house. It's not like their parents would just give Sweetie Belle to Rarity XD. I could see how that would go... lol

True. besides, in "Stare Master" Sweetie, Applebloom and Scootaloo were all set to stay with Rarity for a sleepover. I took that to mean they all came over for that purpose. Maybe their parents were all set to enjoy a nice night out on the town in Canterlot.

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 1

Nice. As for Pinkie Pie, though, I could argue that her parents lightened up a bit, after she discovered her purpose and got her cutie mark. So, she could have started ice skating after she got her cutie mark, but still while she was a little filly.

(edited)

The Apple family is shown to have a barn, some orange building nearby, a chicken coop and four other sheds, but somehow these buildings manage to serve as a cattle barn, indoor pigsty and the Apple Family home.

Posted Image

Actually, all things considered I think the orange building might actually be a neighbour of the Apples and not on Sweet Apple Acres property.

Ponyville apparently has a water-tower but it can't be seen from the town Skyline (despite by-definition must be above the average building height in town).

Edited by Blue
  • Brohoof 1

When RD was Scootaloo's age she preformed a sonic rainboom.... Scootaloo can't even fly :huh: .

Pegasi are explained by Faust to have varying competencies in flying ability. Some are prodigies, some take it up quickly, some take it up slowly, some don't develop much at all. Scootaloo is some variety of a late-bloomer and her development is a little hampered by living in Ponyville, an earth-pony originated community.

• 5 months later...

I believe this thread is about the inconsistency from all episodes, right? Oh boy there are a truckload of them... But I think this one is the worst offender.

From the MMDW

Posted Image

And the ponyville as a whole

Posted Image

Where the hay is the cliff??

From the MMDW

Uh, just one question. Is it possible that they chased Mare Do Well far enough from Ponyville that the flat terrain might become invalid afterwards? :huh:

Uh, just one question. Is it possible that they chased Mare Do Well far enough from Ponyville that the flat terrain might become invalid afterwards? :huh:

The passengers' scream was loud enough to be heard from the center of the Ponyville. And...

Posted Image

<just before the MMDW rescued them>

Yep, the deathly road is inside the town

The passengers' scream was loud enough to be heard from the center of the Ponyville. And...

<just before the MMDW rescued them>

Yep, the deathly road is inside the town

Hmmm...well, I don't know if it's valid, but after One Bad Apple, the fact that there ARE cliffs or similar steeper roads HAS been used again, which leads me to believe that maybe the map from the sky of Ponyville might deceive the eyes and hide some of these steep roads. But I don't really know if I can actually make the connection. :huh:

after One Bad Apple, the fact that there ARE cliffs or similar steeper roads HAS been used again, which leads me to believe that maybe the map from the sky of Ponyville might deceive the eyes and hide some of these steep roads.

That's just another inconsistency, then. We already see from the various episodes of the Season one, there is no steep cliffs or high ground whatsoever.

I believe this thread is about the inconsistency from all episodes, right? Oh boy there are a truckload of them... But I think this one is the worst offender.

From the MMDW

Posted Image

Posted Image

Well lets face it, it wouldn't exactly be the only internal inconsistency in The Mysterious Mare Do Well, although this is the first one that has come to my attention other than characters' behavior.

That's just another inconsistency, then. We already see from the various episodes of the Season one, there is no steep cliffs or high ground whatsoever.

Er, actually, if you count the hills Pinkie stared bouncing at in "Feeling Pinkie Keen", and the fact of the GIGANTIC apple trees terrains back in "Applebuck Season" which weren't falt at all, those technically count as high grounds and not flat terrain, I think? :huh:

Er, actually, if you count the hills Pinkie stared bouncing at in "Feeling Pinkie Keen", and the fact of the GIGANTIC apple trees terrains back in "Applebuck Season" which weren't falt at all, those technically count as high grounds and not flat terrain, I think? :huh:

We need those cliff to be inside the town for that thing to work :V

As far as I see, there is no apple trees anywhere around that death ramp

Edited by Twinkleshine

Well lets face it, it wouldn't exactly be the only internal inconsistency in The Mysterious Mare Do Well, although this is the first one that has come to my attention other than characters' behavior.

I still firmly believe that the characters's behaviour "inconsistencies" are something that is highly subjective, depending from each point of view of the person. If you were to ask me, the way they acted wasn't out of character at all.

We need those cliff to be inside the town for that thing to work :V

As far as I see, there is no apple trees anywhere around that death ramp

I'm not sure I follow on the first...

But on the second, I don't think there will be apple trees around there, but what I DO want to prove is that maybe the sky view of Ponyville can be deceiving enough to not show some parts which AREN'T flat. I don't know if super mega steep cliffs, but from chapter 4 it's been established that it's not an absolute flat terrain, and again with Feeling Pinkie Keen. Maybe it's the thing that not many chapters have put this parts of Ponyville on view, like Applebuck Season, FPK, The Mysterious Mare Do Well, and recently One Bad Apple. And I think 4 chapters is a good enough number to warrant the doubt on whether Ponyville is completely flat, sky view aside.

I still firmly believe that the characters's behaviour "inconsistencies" are something that is highly subjective, depending from each point of view of the person. If you were to ask me, the way they acted wasn't out of character at all.

Oh I would agree that it is largely subjective, and at times the line between out of character moments and character development is minimal to nonexistent. I don't necessarily agree with you about them all being entirely in character, but that's largely due to my nitpicking and overthinking the episode. No big deal.