Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Wat are stereotypes about the Brony community that you sometimes are confronted with by outsiders?

LarApplejack

Hey there, 

I was wondering what experiences you guys have with stereotypes and maybe critism by outsiders about the Brony community. Feel free to share stories about stereotypes etc. I'm excited for reactions!

I've only been confronted over one stereotype, but it's one that's not on here so much thankfully and has quieted down over the years, but the Extroverted Cloppers. A perverted sect of MLP fans who feel the need to express their sexual desires to the world. I was taking my first year of French class, sophomore year of high school, when one of my classmates asked me how I could be part of a fandom that creates such explicit content? I'm paraphrasing since she was much more specific, and had to clarify how not everyone gets off on lewd art of cartoon horses, and those who go out of their way to say they do are nothing more than a loud minority that we try to distance ourselves from. I also had the unfortunate experience of knowing someone like this personally, luckily it didn't encompass their entire being but it made for awkward moments where I was filled with disgust.

Other than that brief moment, everyone's been pleasant and welcoming.

The only I can think of is my friends didn't expect someone like me to like something "girly" as MLP.

Being insulted as a man-child, gay, pedophile or "clopper", sometimes all at the same time without any sense...

But seriously, I love this game, if someone insult you in a video game, repeat the same lines over and over again until they stop and it flippin' works like:

"oh no, your comment really hurt my feelings! You really got me!"

Works every time.

P.S. Don't argue with them, that's what they want.

I count myself as very lucky. As an adult female fan, nobody gives a flying feather what I watch. Not that I run around announcing my viewing preference. The other day while shopping at Walmart, there was a display of (I forget what. Something like coloring books. Whatever.) A little girl about five years old suddenly shouted "I love Pinkie Pie!" and ran over to the display rack, that had Pinkie, among other cartoon characters. I said to her. "I like Twilight, she's my favorite." She was very happy to find a grown up that knew what she was talking about. The mother came over laughing about how happy her daughter was to talk about her beloved Pinkie Pie. We talked a bit about the show for a moment., and then we went our separate ways. No problems, no stereotyping. Just a pleasant encounter.

I have no doubt though, that the mother would have reacted somewhat differently if it was a man talking about cartoons with her daughter. Sadly, people would think the worst in such a case.

Mostly on the internet, it's either I'm a pedophile or I'm a gay furry. Either way, doesn't bother me.

I don't get a lot of input, being a girl who likes a 'girly show'. I sometimes get "Aren't you a little old for that stuff?" but that's kind of a stupid comment anyway so I disregarded it. I'm not even all that old anyway! 

So far, none. I'll get a joke or two tossed my way from someone I know but it's all in good humor. Most of my friends and family know that I like cartoons, so this isn't really surprising to them. Besides the 2 MLP coffee cups on my desk at work, I don't really talk about the show unless someone asks.

Stereotypes about the brony community used to be a lot more common in its earlier years and it's usually the typical "grown man watching a kids show", being homosexual, or being feminine. Thankfully things have changed quite a lot since then and for many people liking MLP has become a normal thing. I would certainly say that entertainment has broken the mold over double standards. Nowadays, the only persistent stereotype seems to be that of the cloppers who like to shove NSFW art at people's faces and making most of the brony community look bad. Not saying it's bad to like NSFW art, it's just an issue when certain bronies try to show it to people who aren't comfortable or don't want to see it. 

One thing I forgot to mention is that people think I'm going to do poorly in a game because I have a pony avatar and a pony like name while ingaI've me. I don't understand this line of thinking, but it's something I've come across frequently.