Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

23 horse deaths at race tracks

ManaMinori

Since December 2018, There have been 23 incidents where horses were falling and injuring themselves so badly at Santa Anita race tracks that they needed to be euthanized. The track was recently temporary closed to be inspected and new rules put in place that required crackdowns on training drugs for the horses and whips no longer being used by the jockeys, but after the track was reopened, horses continued to be injured and euthanized. 

What are the thoughts of the fate of these tragic and needless deaths of real life horses from this fandom?

It is almost like horse racing is incredibly stupid and pointless. Horse racing is one of the, if not THE most garbage sport around, because it is literally the horse that does the work and yet it is the idiot sitting on the horse that gains everything from it while the horse is pushed to its limits time and time again. Here's a better idea; No.

12 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

It is almost like horse racing is incredibly stupid and pointless. Horse racing is one of the, if not THE most garbage sport around, because it is literally the horse that does the work and yet it is the idiot sitting on the horse that gains everything from it while the horse is pushed to its limits time and time again. Here's a better idea; No.

What would you change? Making the horse owners race with the horse and combining their times? Giving the horse a cut of the winnings to spend on hay?

Just now, Lucartini said:

What would you change? Making the horse owners race with the horse and combining their times? Giving the horse a cut of the winnings to spend on hay?

I would get rid of horse racing in its entirety. Pretty simple solution.

I'm against horse racing and other animal sporting events in practice but not concept. There's no problem with racing as an idea, so long as the animals are properly fed, cared for, treated, and aren't pushed to their limits at the risk of becoming injured. Part of why there's so many horses euthanized isn't because they're suffering from critical injuries, but it's based on whether it's worth the cost of recovery or moving on. As a horse, you kind of win the lottery in every way with a record of winning and good genes. Best care all around, but the fact that the best is something rather than nothing at all is just wrong.

My worry for the Santa Anita track reopening and still having deaths, is the issue here with the track itself or the type of racers/horse owners it attracts?

I’m going to come out and say it. Most of the opinions on this thread come from positions of extreme ignorance. Saying that the horse does all the work or whinging that crops are abusive doesn’t help. Riders, and especially jockeys, put a titanic amount of time, fitness, and energy into being the best. If you actually think you are going to injure a horse with a racing crop, you either don’t know how one is used, or overestimate the effectiveness. Horse racing is not itself an abusive or harmful sport, much like any other equestrian pursuit. Santa Anita has been infamous for its poor track and jumping conditions for a while. Catch 22 is that you can’t fix that without money, and the track doesn’t make money if the horses don’t run. That said, morally bankrupt owners and trainers do not help at all. Doping, certain kinds of shoeing, riding less experienced jockeys because they tend to be lighter and cheaper, weighted crops, and a whole host of other actions make it more dangerous for horse and rider. This is not just an issue in the racing community, but everywhere. That’s why the eventing world has been replacing most of the jumps it is possible to replace on cross country courses with pinned jumps. These are ones that under a certain amount of weight collapse, so that if a horse makes substantive contact the jump falls out of the way, instead of the horse falling over the jump. 

On the whole, equestrian sports are just dangerous. For horses, for riders, for spectators. That should not take the worth from them. The ever present argument is that horses would be much happier just grazing in a pasture or set free. This is not true. Domesticated horses have specialized needs that only humans can provide for. One of them is meaningful work and mental challenge for growth. That is why dressage is so good for both horse and rider. Racing is different, but many horses love the racing as well. The question is never so simple as cruel or kind, black or white. Try talking to the people involved as well as the opposition. You might learn a lot.

• Brohoof 2

I am a veterinary technician and I work with small animals (dogs & cats), large animals (horses, pigs, etc.), and exotics (birds, snakes, etc.). There is a saying in the veterinary field regarding large animals: “A down horse is a dead horse” (variations of the phrase exist). Said phrase usually entails a horse that has fractured its leg. Horses that have broken a leg are almost always euthanized. Why? This is because a horse’s legs are its most crucial anatomical structures. Out of the 205 bones that make up a horse's entire body, 80 of them are located in its legs. The com­plex system of joints, bones, ligaments, tendons, cartilage, lubricant, laminate and hooves that contribute to a horse's speed will likely never heal correctly even with surgery. A horse simply cannot live a normal life with 3 limbs like a dog or cat can. It is usually in the best interest of the horse to be humanely euthanized. However, younger horses generally stand a better chance at recovering from a broken leg because their bones are still growing. These horses are usually lighter and put less weight on the injury. Regardless, it is a sad and unfortunate thing that this is why many horses are put to sleep.

In my opinion, horseback racing is a cruel sport. I am not the only person who believes this. Let me explain why the sport is cruel...

- Thoroughbred horses start their racing careers at the age of 2 years. At this age, a horse’s body is still developing and undergoing harsh racing conditons puts excessive stress on their bodies. Thus, injuries are more likely to occur.

- These animals are often drugged. With so much on the line, some racers will do anything and everything to gain that competeitive edge. I am not certain what the exact rules are for drug use in the horse racing industry, but the use of specific drugs is a common occurance. Anabolic steroids that enhance muscle development and narcotic analgesics which decrease pain from previous injuries or illnesses so that the horse will perform no matter what are some of the most commonly used drugs. 

- The horses are isolated and moved for long periods of time. Horses are naturally herd animals so they live in groups. However, as a race horse, they are usually confined to a stall for most days and are forced to travel, which can cause high levels of stress.

- If a horse loses, they don’t always go back to the owner to live on a farm for the rest of their days. Instead, the are sometimes sold to countiries that slaughter horses.

The way I see it, this is a sick sport that should no longer exist.

• Brohoof 2

45 minutes ago, Bakugou Is My Man <3 said:

Thoroughbred horses start their racing careers at the age of 2 years. At this age, a horses body is still developing and undergoing harsh racing conditons puts excessive stress on their bodies. Thus, injuries are more likely to occur.

Just to stress this point, a buddy of mine bought a Thoroughbred that was raced for about 3 years to breed his mares. It looked healthy and he was able to do the job, but his back was pretty messed up. Children could ride him, but anything greater than 50 pounds put a strain on him. Even that was stopped so as not to strain him. About a year ago the poor thing did have to be put down because his back got worse with age and he could hardly move anymore.

This horse technically never even sustained what would be qualified as a racing injury. He just had a terrible back because of the strain put on him when he was still a colt. You also mentioned the painkillers that they have them on. I wonder how many other horses deal with backs like this that just don't notice because they're on enough drugs to make Charlie Sheen blush?

21 minutes ago, Twiggy said:

I wonder how many other horses deal with backs like this that just don't notice because they're on enough drugs to make Charlie Sheen blush?

This is exactly the point of the drugs. The horse is hurting from a non-life threatening injury? Dope it up so it can race! 

I love horses, and animals of all kinds, but am I against horse racing? No. Why? It's something that has been around for many, many years. I know it can be a cruel sport to the horses, but what can we do? What do you expect? It's horse racing, it's the way it's been forever. 

The act of euthanizing the animal if it's down is humane in the sense that a horse, especially an older one can never properly heal from a broken leg. 

• Brohoof 1