Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Rainbow Dash and the Writers

heavens-champion

(edited)

Do the writers hate Rainbow Dash? A lot of her episodes are considered very controversial, like Newbie Dash and 28 Pranks Later. Not to mention they haven't done anything like make Rainbow Dash Twilight's Number Two. A lot of people here seem to think the writers don't like.

Edited by heavens-champion
  • Brohoof 2

3 hours ago, heavens-champion said:

Not to mention they haven't done anything like make Rainbow Dash Twilight's Number Two.

I think Applejack is treated more like Twilight's second in command than Rainbow Dash is. 

34 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

I think Applejack is treated more like Twilight's second in command than Rainbow Dash is. 

Yeah this. AJ has always acted as Twilight's "right hand man" whereas RD usually took the role as that hot shot who always wondered off on their own

As for the topic, the second half of the show have been making it feel that way. I find it impossible to believe a good chunk of her episodes were written out of good will. Though I also chalk half of it up to incompetence, most outcomes could have been avoided by both better writing and editing, and some episodes(Parental Glideance, Secrets and Pies, Grannies Gone Wild) could have gone so much worse if they were written by writers who didn't care

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
4 hours ago, heavens-champion said:

Not to mention they haven't done anything like make Rainbow Dash Twilight's Number Two.

Maybe because she isn't?

I think it's pretty clear that no RM5 was ever to be #2 to Twilight in the group of best friends they wanted to show, it would make things too hierarchical.

Edited by DonMaguz

Maybe Rainbow's Ego problem is simply tricky to write sympathetically when it's about her. I mean we live in an age where having a big ego leads to no sympathy. 

I still think Rainbow's best Episode is Testing Testing 123 to me due to making her relatable through our mutual "lack of study skills" and fear of not passing a test

I think Rainbow Dash is the hardest to write of all Mane Six. Harder after time at least. Rainbow Dash had a unique position that I liked, which is she exclusively managed the action aspect of the show and sometimes she was more special than Twilight.

Rainbow Dash has a more obvious flaw than others. And it's hard for writers to use it cleverly. Every character has a flaw and when they cross the line, people flip. Rainbow Dash was easier character to mess up. She is sometimes arrogant and selfish, downright dangerous.

The conflict built inside the character is harder to write too. Rarity has a great character design. She is selfish and selfless at the same time. Pinkie Pie also has to find balance between considerations for friends and her own fun. Rainbow Dash's conflict doesnt have those clear premise. And also her elememt-royalty isn't translated quite well through the story. The character's virtues are most important and the best episodes are the ones that shows that aspect of the character the most. If they only showed Rainbow Dash caring about her friends as much as Tank, it would have been better.

I think her virtue and her weakness is her pride and confidence. And the writers know this, but how hard it is to write a story about pride and confidence?

• Brohoof 4

Our glorious writers:

-Literally can't write Pinkie Pie as a person to save their miserable lives

-Can't write Applejack cause orange mare bad and Marx forbid there was a female traitor who actually held conservative values.

-Can't write Rainbow Dash as anything other than the target of shitty friendship lessons since white fence soysters, in their primitive and confused hatred of bullies, can't comprehend that one can be smug, competent, and a good person at the same time and thus she shouldn't need to fail constantly due to those attributes just to satiate some fragile egos.

-Can't write Fluttershy since white fence soysters literally don't give a shit about nature they can't use as a tool for their petty green piss outrage. RL Fluttershys who babble about weird animals might as well speak R'lyehian to them.

-Can write Rarity but only to the point where they must prove time and time again that her way is the right was even when it is not.

-Can't write Twilight since they have forgotten what it truly means to be adorkable in all those years when they were trying so desperately to substitute old, better Twilight with shitty knockoff named Starlight.

And thus the sins have been counted.

• Brohoof 2