Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Will there even be a G5?

DivineMist1000

I don’t know, after the awesomeness that is FiM, I don’t think Hasbro could be able to top it. 

Maybe this should be the last of MLP and just leave the franchise here. Leave it on a high note and they won’t have to worry about topping FiM!

• Brohoof 5

I’m fairly certain that generation five has been confirmed so yes, there will be a fifth generation of My Little Pony. Will it be as good as the fourth generation? To some, no. It won’t even come close. To some others, however, it may be amazing. It all depends on who you ask about it.

• Brohoof 8

5 minutes ago, Bakugou Is My Man ❤ said:

I’m fairly certain that generation five has been confirmed so yes, there will be a fifth generation of My Little Pony. Will it be as good as the fourth generation? To some, no. It won’t even come close. To some others, however, it may be amazing. It all depends on who you ask about it.

What do you think?

• Brohoof 2

11 minutes ago, DivineDawn1000 said:

What do you think?

I am glad that the next generation is being made! I am very excited to see what the characters will be like, what the world will be like, and what the overall story will be (if there is one). It’s a completely new blank canvas and it could go anywhere. What I am getting at is that I will give it a chance. I won’t go into it with high expectations but I also won’t go into it thinking it will be awful. 

• Brohoof 6

1 minute ago, Bakugou Is My Man ❤ said:

I am glad that the next generation is being made! I am very excited to see what the characters will be like, what the world will be like, and what the overall story will be (if there is one). It’s a completely new blank canvas and it could go anywhere. What I am getting at is that I will give it a chance. I won’t go into it with high expectations but I also won’t go into it thinking it will be awful. 

It’s good to have that mindset. You know what they say: “Never judge a book by its cover”

I’ll give it a chance when it comes too

• Brohoof 2

There are leaks of G5, so I'm pretty sure g% is coming. Also, since g$ managed to attract more people than intended, I'm pretty sure that Hasbro does not want to stop producing the show and toys :)

Hopefully they realized that they ran out of ideas for G4 and continuing it would reduce the quality and, in turn, the number of fans, so a reboot may be good. 

So far I have only seen the leaked character designs and quite like them, though it's going to take some getting used to, but all changed are like that.

I cannot comment on whether it's going to be better or worse than G4, since I have no information on that (ask me after I see some episodes).

I just hope that they do not start putting real world politics in the show.

• Brohoof 1

35 minutes ago, DivineDawn1000 said:

I don’t know, after the awesomeness that is FiM, I don’t think Hasbro could be able to top it. 

Maybe this should be the last of MLP and just leave the franchise here. Leave it on a high note and they won’t have to worry about topping FiM!

The MLP franchise has a habit of reinventing itself every few years after the previous generation is concluded. As far as I know there is a G5 in the works but details on it currently are very limited and it's hard to tell what's true from false. Like Bakugou said, whether or not it will live up to G4 is purely on the individual but after the success of FIM I'm sure that the folks over at Hasbro will take what works and at least make something fresh out of what they've got. 

If you ask me I'm excited to see what sort of new direction a revised setting and cast will give the series. No matter what comes I just hope that everyone gives it a fair shake. 

• Brohoof 2

I’m just salty that they are reusing the same characters as the stars. Except NOT, because for some they’re completely changing their personalities, if the leaks are to be believed.

I known WHY they are doing it. The names of the Mane 6 now carry brand recognition, so it’s good from a marketing perspective. But it makes it kind of feel like these are just knock offs of characters I already love, instead of some new characters that I can get to know.

• Brohoof 7

It's happening and I plan on watching it. I just hope that it has enough dynamic to be its own thing, as opposed to another FiM.

• Brohoof 1

28 minutes ago, ShadOBabe said:

Except NOT, because for some they’re completely changing their personalities, if the leaks are to be believed.

I only saw the designs, did not find a leak about their personalities.

23 minutes ago, Cash In said:

I just hope that it has enough dynamic to be its own thing, as opposed to another FiM.

That would be nice, but more of the same would be good too ("more of the same" is pretty much the definition of the Borderlands series and I like those games).

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Pentium100 said:

I only saw the designs, did not find a leak about their personalities.

Don't quote me on this but the most prevailing thing I've seen is that Applejack is going to be a 'city pony', but to what degree is unclear. I haven't heard anything about the others though, but if the Applejack thing is true that might give a hint as to the direction they wish to take the new show.

While it would be fun to see essentially an inverted Applejack I also hope that's not all she is. 

• Brohoof 2

4 hours ago, DivineDawn1000 said:

You really don't think like a company, do you?

Mind you, they don't strictly need a TV show to sell pony toys - but why not, after it worked so well this time?

And if G4 was so great, then they don't need to top it.

3 hours ago, ShadOBabe said:

I known WHY they are doing it. The names of the Mane 6 now carry brand recognition, so it’s good from a marketing perspective. But it makes it kind of feel like these are just knock offs of characters I already love, instead of some new characters that I can get to know.

It is a bit off - but just remember that FIM did it first. I'm sure there are still some who struggle with the idea of a Pinkie Pie who isn't the voice of reason and a Rainbow Dash who never dresses in style.

Edited by Latecomer
  • Brohoof 4

43 minutes ago, Latecomer said:

That is a bit off - but just remember that FIM did it first.

That is true. After all, this used to be Rainbow Dash:

AA741681-021D-47A5-88CF-8D851FF936FA.gif.06919be0644d3645dd4b0571e548c7de.gif

But at least they waited a while before changing the characters. And if I’m being subjective and kind of harsh... there wasn’t much to miss when G4 came along.

EDIT: Don’t worry, future quotes, I’ve been corrected on air dates.

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 1

19 minutes ago, ShadOBabe said:

That is true. After all, this used to be Rainbow Dash:

AA741681-021D-47A5-88CF-8D851FF936FA.gif.06919be0644d3645dd4b0571e548c7de.gif

But at least they waited a while before changing the characters. And if I’m being subjective and kind of harsh... there wasn’t much to miss when G4 came along.

Er, Newborn Cuties was running closer to G4 then FIM is to G5.

• Brohoof 2

5 hours ago, ShadOBabe said:

I’m just salty that they are reusing the same characters as the stars. Except NOT, because for some they’re completely changing their personalities, if the leaks are to be believed.

Yeah, this is something I'm not looking forward into myself.

Sure FiM did the same, but *hue* *hue* I haven't watched previous generations, so for me it will be the first time when I see characters being killed and replaced with someone similar, so to speak. :twi:

Hmm.. I wonder if my figurines have an option to update, because they'll be outdated once G5 comes. AC1e4N7.png

• Brohoof 1

15 minutes ago, Latecomer said:

Er, Newborn Cuties was running closer to G4 then FIM is to G5.

I actually just looked that up, and while I wasn’t finding any straightforward sources for air dates, what I saw still seemed to confirm that. Perhaps it felt longer because the MLP brand was dead in the water as far as pop culture relevance was concerned.

Edited by ShadOBabe

There are a couple of concepts that (if G5 uses them) could make the show more popular than G4. Either going more comedian like "Rock Solid Friendship", more powerful and engaging like "A Royal problem", or keeping a continuation story kinda like how "Steven Universe" did it (not just for one character like Twilight or Sunset, but all the characters develop over time).
I have been a huge fan of some of the episodes in G4 which has either focused on popular characters, or stories that seem to matter to a lot of us (like episodes that hit us, feels interesting and engaging, thinking "Frenemies" here, or even EqG "Forgotten Friendship"). If G5 completely focused on that kind of story telling, where we MUST have more of a certain character or story, then it will become popular by itself, without having to mention G4 or take a step backwards.

But most likely, G5 will just be a reminder of the past, how the show used to be great and have a huge fandom. Some people will watch it and new kids might even think it is better than G4. We might get comments like "I grew up with G5, I never could stand that old G4.", and "G4 was a different time era, where people didn't have anything other to do then watch it. G5 on the other had...".

To myself, I love design. Good design means more than just good looking ponies. If the show itself has an interesting structure, story telling, or visual appeal that pushes something in my brain, I might completely forget about G4, even if G5 became less popular because something important to mlp was missing. That would mean I would be a fan of the show not because it is mlp, or because there are colorful ponies, or because of G4 legacy. It would have something better that triggers me to like it more.

Telling the story of the princesses. I know this is something @DivineDawn1000 would love to hear. I would also! If G5 went with stories from the princesses perspective (not just pretty outfits and "at the gala" stuff), the real struggles of being, or "supposed to be" but it isn't as easy as people might think. Think "Smallville" where you follow Superman as a teenager figuring things out. It works for a while because we know as an audience he will become something great, invisible, powerful. But we get to watch the real life struggles, and from a perspective where "you can't just win all the time, the world doesn't work that way". Princesses, being all powerful, but there are a billion reasons things will not go as planned, makes it kinda engaging to watch. Of course, must not forget to mention how important it is to be able to compare against regular ponies. Princesses by themselves, without a normal cast of ponies, will never work. Just a title has no value. Great royal designs by themselves have no value either. You can't have super heroes without being able to compare against what is supposed to be normal.
So G5 with just a few Alicorns, that dresses in style, won't work (it will, but it won't surpass G4).

Last, let's think about popular things of the past. It is very rare to see something explode in popularity that already did it before. Most things that were popular, new, and famous, are often riding of the fame of the past. You will not see another simple jumpscare horror game concept like "Five Nights At Freddy's" just become as popular again, or a crazy fandom for a simplistic game -but with real feelings- like "Undertale" just pop up again. You don't see that. But you do see new things pop up from time to time and get a wild crazy fanbase. Usually it is something new that has never been seen before, or it has been a long time since someone even remembered something as good. Something that feels new and exiting at that time, compared to the rest.
G5 will not be that. G4 was that.

And to make things slightly sad. I still feel, for many years now, that the trend towards 3D animation, for its simplicity in production, and scalability (just 3D print to toys basically), that G5 will leave the traditional stuff behind, and finally be part of the future. Being 3D, just like the rest of the stuff out there, will not make G5 stand out, and will not excite me in any way.

Edited by Splashee
I'm adding more information. I was pressured on time to finish this post the first time around
  • Brohoof 3

2 minutes ago, CloudMistDragon said:

I totally love you Divine, but I have to respectfully disagree here. :nom: They should worry about topping MLP: FiM. What's the point of creating art if you're not always looking to improve? :fluttershy: 

To make a good enough show that little kids watching will want to buy ponies?

3 minutes ago, Latecomer said:

To make a good enough show that little kids watching will want to buy ponies?

Yes. Improvements to the show, art style, or story wise. That is not what Hasbro was thinking. They have more simplistic goals in mind.

6 minutes ago, Splashee said:

Yes. Improvements to the show, art style, or story wise. That is not what Hasbro was thinking. They have more simplistic goals in mind.

HOWEVER, this gen was such a monstrous success BECAUSE it was compelling. Businesses are not art-minded, but they’d have to be pretty brain dead to backslide in quality now.

They’ve unlocked a whole new batch of adult consumers with disposable income and no parents to tell them no. Capitalize on it.

• Brohoof 3

8 minutes ago, ShadOBabe said:

HOWEVER, this gen was such a monstrous success BECAUSE it was compelling. Businesses are not art-minded, but they’d have to be pretty brain dead to backslide in quality now.

They’ve unlocked a whole new batch of adult consumers with disposable income and no parents to tell them no. Capitalize on it.

They could have capitalized on it back in 2013. They did a movie in 2017 that barely resembled the success of the actual show. Instead they shut down most of its fanbase by Youtube, did not take any popular concepts at the time (like "Fighting is Magic"), and rushed wings on Twilight and did whatever "Equestria Girls" was supposed to be without the need for it (at that time). And fired (pushed out, let go of) key people that made the show great. I simply cannot see Hasbro as other than brain dead (sorry Hasbro and fans of Hasbro).

20 minutes ago, ShadOBabe said:

Kids should always be the top audience. Which doesn't mean poor quality by any standards.

Honestly, i'd probably want at least some people on the production team who'd never seen any FIM.

7 minutes ago, Splashee said:

They could have capitalized on it back in 2013. They did a movie in 2017 that barely resembled the success of the actual show. Instead they shut down most of its fanbase by Youtube, did not take any popular concepts at the time (like "Fighting is Magic"), and rushed wings on Twilight and did whatever "Equestria Girls" was supposed to be without the need for it (at that time). And fired (pushed out, let go of) key people that made the show great. I simply cannot see Hasbro as other than brain dead (sorry Hasbro and fans of Hasbro).

A lot of those things make perfect sense from their perspective, and given how long the show lasted they hardly seem to have done much harm.

• Brohoof 1

15 minutes ago, ShadOBabe said:

Yea, not a lot of kids will get the big figures made by Kotobukiya that are sold for 100EUR. 

3 minutes ago, Splashee said:

I simply cannot see Hasbro as other than brain dead (sorry Hasbro and fans of Hasbro).

I'm pretty sure the older fans were unexpected and, as such, the company was not prepared for us, so they did not know how to make the show more appealing to us (and no, just listening to what the loudest fans want is not it). There are also legal problems with taking in fan suggestions etc. As much as I would like to see some of my favorite fanfics turned into movies or TV shows, I know that will never happen, not least because of legal reasons.

Fighting is Magic infringed on their trademark, the problem with trademarks  is that if you do not defend them in such cases, you lose them. In comparison, you can choose to not defend your copyright in some cases and you will not lose it. Also, at least in my opinion, it had nothing to do with the show other than having the characters from it, but then again, I am not a big fan of fighting games.

• Brohoof 1