Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

web Youtube's New TOS Speaks of Termination for Accounts That They Deem Not "Commercially Viable"

Misty Shadow

EIyp5MnUcAApF_6.png

They finally admitted to shadowbanning, give them a hand. :BrightMacContent: I feel sorry for whatever poor sap still feels inclined to defend Youtube. Contrary to popular misconception, they are a public forum, not a publisher. Therefore, they do not get the private business excuse of being able to just ban whoever they please. However, this is not a debate topic, so hopefully, we can leave at this and laugh. :kirin:

Edited by CloudMistDragon
Yup, they're denying it now.
  • Brohoof 3

1 minute ago, CloudMistDragon said:

EIyp5MnUcAApF_6.png

They finally admitted to shadowbanning, give them a hand. :BrightMacContent: I feel sorry for whatever poor sap still feels inclined to defend Youtube. Contrary to popular misconception, they are a public forum, not a publisher. Therefore, they do not get the private business excuse of being able to just ban whoever they please. However, this is not a debate topic, so hopefully, we can leave at this and laugh. :kirin:

Wait so they can ban any user they deem not commercial? What the fuck are they thinking?

• Brohoof 4

10 minutes ago, Xeltor said:

Wait so they can ban any user they deem not commercial? What the fuck are they thinking?

Basically they're like every other typical corporate business.  If you don't make them money, you're not worth anything in their eyes.

While I understand that question may be rhetorical, it's also enhanced by the fact that there's no competition.

• Brohoof 2

At this point, YouTube is gonna be facing serious lawsuits raining down on them. In all seriousness, making videos is not fun anymore. If any, it's essentially a chore where if your videos don't even come close to 1k, much less 10k, you're not making money at all. And ads give you zero revenue, especially if you're basically overshadowed by far bigger YouTubers such as Markiplier, T-Series and PewDiePie.

It's time that people should start taking a stand against YouTube and give them a massive backlash that they'll have to either make massive overhauls or risk getting their site permanently shut down. It's amazing how YouTube takes down videos that are deemed "copyright violations" yet seems to have no problems in banning the wrong people while letting trolls continue to fester and grow, and even allowing them to get away with it unpunished. It shows how immoral and hypocritical YouTube is becoming, and it's only a matter of time before they become a subject of a massive backlash.

• Brohoof 4

22 minutes ago, DwhitetheGamer said:

Basically they're like every other typical corporate business.  If you don't make them money, you're not worth anything in their eyes.

While I understand that question may be rhetorical, it's also enhanced by the fact that there's no competition.

It's obviously rhetorical; but it's just stupid 

• Brohoof 1

I had a feeling there was something wrong with their updated terms of service. YouTube hasn't implemented these changes yet, as they will take effect on December 10, 2019, but I doubt they are going to change it anyways. Also, it doesn't surprise me that YouTube would decide to ban accounts that they think are not commercially viable, they already have created unfair issues with demonetization and the deletion of channels and videos. If I was a content creator on YouTube, I would have left the platform a long time ago instead of having to deal with the unfairness of their policies.

• Brohoof 1

YouTube should be a public forum, but legally it's not. I'm not sure what they really hope to accomplish by pushing creators away. Merchandise and fundraising outside of the platform is where money is really made for big creators at this point. It would suck for them to have to move to a different platform or create ones of their own, but that's already begun to happen.

I'm dumbfounded how this has become such an issue. I don't know why they don't just divide youtube up into specific categories that you'd have to log into to view, like education for viewing in schools, a child friendly section, general entertainment, and then a section for adults, plain and simple. That way people aren't having things they don't want to see pop up for them or their kids, and advertisers can select what sort of content they're willing to have ads on. At first it seems like it'd be a nightmare to sort at this point, but you can start by adding a selection process requiring creators to pick which category their video falls into when uploading, and provide the option to reassign which section their old videos should fall under. I doubt many would be against the idea, and it'd be much easier to find term violators.

• Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, Goat-kun said:

Was gonna recommend the same, but Goat is already ahead of me. Move to bitchute. If you think that Youtube will ever actually improve, despite coming up with constant new ways to screw their own base and content creators for years now, you are only deluding yourself. 

Give a new platform a chance~

• Brohoof 1

9 hours ago, DwhitetheGamer said:

So all I have to do is play stupid and I’m good for about 1k?

Once again, YouTube deserves a round of applause. They seriously need to wake the hell up, because they sure aren't making themselves look any better.

6 hours ago, Madam Rarity said:

i never visited Dailymotion a lot.

Their community is nonexistent though. We need a video service that nurturs communication between fans and creators the same way youtube does.

We're going to run into a problem with that too though with this update. Even Pony creators who DO have a solid fanbase and are monetized, are potentially getting 'banned' as well because youtube can no longer make ad revenue from kids videos because of some so-called "child protection" law that the U.S. government has put forth. What is considered a video "for kids" will of course be determined by youtube's (always accurate) detection algorithms, relying on things like keywords. So, yeah, the entire youtube Brony community (as well as every other fandom fueled on a kid's show) may implode before the year is up.

Someone needs to take over for what youtube started long ago. Either Deviantart or Derpibooru should expand into video art.

I know this is somewhat off-topic, but it is something that demonstrates just how bad YouTube has become and shows what YouTube does to some accounts that don't even deserve a ban. Very recently Markiplier himself has ran into a bad experience with YouTube's automated banning system.

To summarize the video, a large number of his dedicated fans on a livestream "spammed" a few emotes, like 5 in a row or so, just for fun, so now they are permanently banned because YouTube's automated banning system detected it as spam. A ton of them made appeals, but most (if not all) got rejected automatically and some *manually, and even YouTube's Twitter account refuses to be helpful.

*It is most frustrating for Markiplier knowing that actual YouTube staff look over these appeals and do nothing about it.

Edited by EpicEnergy
  • Brohoof 1