Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Halp me please

Power Ten

I've always wanted to start writing fanfictions, but every time I try to write one, I either run out of ideas or lose patience with my writing. Either way, the end result is another word document whisked off to the recycle bin. I am doing fine with ideas, but my problem lies in the process of writing the story out. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to creative writing, so alas, no stories I write are ever good enough to keep. Is there anybody out there who has advice on how to get a good story written?

• Brohoof 1

One thing that I find helpful is sending it to friends and getting them to edit/add things the way they'd write it. :)

Write it.

Ha ha ha, just kidding. Anyways, I would reccomend leaving it and going back to it once an idea hits you. Also, it doesn't have to be perfect.

if you want insperation or an idea, just watch a movie. watch the genera you want to write about and take some of the ideas, make some changes, watch another movie and make some changes. take the changed stories. put them together and what do you get? a sweet new idea :)

Seems legit. Is there any style (e.g.of an author) that you follow?

Also, you say that you are doing fine with ideas but then you run out of ideas. That's a great contradiction right there.

I have attempted fanfics before (for Silverwing) and have encountered the same problem. You're going to want to try to make plans for each chapter: write in point form the general events for that chapter, the characters that will be inside, et cetera. You might also want to try the basic rising action, climax, falling action outline.

Good luck, and don't forget to pass the link when you're done.

For your first project it's better to start it small. Try to write a oneshot fic about daily activities around ponyville, after you're done I believe things will sort themselves

Shift-Del is your best friend.

If it's not up to par, scrap it.

Do you really want to make something you dislike from the onset?

Write a lot and often, something will stick to the proverbial wall.

Dont work on the story immediately. What I do is come up with an scenario, and then try and make it a story. For example the most recent fanfic I've been working on revolves around the Idea that a person somehow gets to Equestria. With that in mind, I just worked backwards: How did he get there? Why did it happen? How was it caused? Then, I work forward: Who does he meet? what do they do? What problems do they face.

Thats how I wrote my first one, I find that asking yourself questions based on one Idea really helps develop a story. Hopefully this helps you out!

These take time, don't delete them, keep them.

I started mine a few days ago and I am just finished.

Also for the ideas, think of other fan fics or look on the wiki.

Look on episodes of what happens to ponies of my tec; take time to think, what would happen if the Changelings came back and stole Celestia's body? Or do a out of character example- Fluttershy is kind what if something made her a murderer?

If you like it but can't come up with ideas, save it. Maybe you come up with ideas after some months or so.

If you not like it, delete.

Create a "dump folder" where you put all of your lost ideas. That way, if interest ever strikes again, you'll be able to go back.

I like that for another reason, if you have a folder where you dump all the stuff you can't make use of, it's like having a big bucket of misfit legos, though they probably aren't useful on their own, dig around in there you might find some ways you can mix parts of stories and make something new, may seem kinda "Frankenstien's Monster"-ish but hey, It was alive. :)

Oh also, I find it helps to take parts of the story, and kinda tile them together, make each part of the story that you really care about, place them together, and fill in the gaps

this is funny. if theres a "bad" scene in a movie or show and you know what i mean by that, change the characters into ponies! i mean, how else would someone think of cupcakes or sweet apple massacure?

post-5097-0-68952600-1339698721_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

It's best if you start a story about something that you really really know about, or have a lot of feelings about. Also, it's better if you think of a plot with a beginning middle and ending before you write. It works good on me, because I have the same problems... :P

Just realized I have no Idea how to end my fanfic. Also realized I havent touched it in a month

As a fellow perfectionist, I understand your pain. My suggestion is write something that you can add to at your own discretion. I have been writing novels for years, and since I am not a writer by profession, I find that an episodic format works well in the war against nitpicky natures. I'd also suggest to stop deleting things, and it might be a good idea to hunt down an RP writing buddy to throw together works over instant messengers that need not be flawless. This is a good way to get your ideas together before proceeding.

~Wing