Why hasn't there been a MLP game yet?

CastletonSnob

(edited)

Hasbro found more potential in the mobile market in regards to their target demographic. Which sucks because MLP has a ton of potential for a legitimate game like something like an rpg or a platformer

Edited by Megas

58 minutes ago, Megas said:

Which sucks because MLP has a ton of potential for a legitimate game in lieu of something like an rpg or a platformer

What counts as a " legitimate " game? Mario is a platformer is it not legit? Vampire the Masquerade and the entire Final Fantasy series are rpgs are they not legit? 

Like seriously I dont get what you are trying for here. 

As for the original question: 
Games are costly to make if you want quality and I doubt HB is putting in that sort of effort. But I would love to see an Elder Scrolls style game set in Equestria 

2 minutes ago, Jedishy said:

What counts as a " legitimate " game? Mario is a platformer is it not legit? Vampire the Masquerade and the entire Final Fantasy series are rpgs are they not legit?

Basically anything that isn't mobile :p

2 minutes ago, Megas said:

Basically anything that isn't mobile :p

Which that I can get. But it might have been better worded as in lieu of mobile gaming rather then the rpg or platformer because there are plenty of classic pc and console games that are in those categories. 
Even mobile games are legitimate games. They are just generally not the greatest. 

1 minute ago, Jedishy said:

Which that I can get. But it might have been better worded as in lieu of mobile gaming rather then the rpg or platformer because there are plenty of classic pc and console games that are in those categories.

Shit you're right, I was using the wrong word. I'm a dum dum :derp:

Even mobile games are legitimate games. They are just generally not the greatest. 

Problem with mobile games is that, especially nowadays, they're designed entirely with the purpose of sucking players of their money dry, especially for a company like Hasbro. They're meant to be the most shallow experiences possible. There are legitimate games but they're either watered down versions of console games or hindered by touch controls and are better played on bluetooth controllers which at that point you should just buy the console version instead

It's a good question. Western cartoons seem to be really bad when it comes to being turned into games outside of cash grabbing free to play mobile titles.
An Animal Crossing style MLP game would have been really good and even the target audience could have enjoyed it. Sure, Hasbro is into selling physical toys but see how LEGO is having a video game franchice. 

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Xoomy228 said:

It's a good question. Western cartoons seem to be really bad when it comes to being turned into games outside of cash grabbing free to play mobile titles.
An Animal Crossing style MLP game would have been really good and even the target audience could have enjoyed it. Sure, Hasbro is into selling physical toys but see how LEGO is having a video game franchice. 

Which reminds me, Hasbro was trying to get into the game industry in the mid 1980's, and they managed to produce one game, and it is one of the best games ever made.... heh. Well it gave me troubles as a kid because it was scary (for a kid, obviously not scary for grown-ups, etc), and Hasbro didn't want anything to do with it. But they were responsible. The game's name is "Night Trap" (still is one of my favorite games of all time).

Hasbro tried to get into the action while Nintendo was at the top with the NES, and Sega hadn't reached the market in the US yet. It was a gamble, and I think they could have gone quite far. But this is the same time when MLP was born, so who knows!?

If there would have been an MLP game, I really wish it would have been non-3D, and accurate to the show's style. I am not implying it would be Flash based, but the style.

• Brohoof 1

It's one of the many actions that Hasbro has never taken and yet they've given the go-ahead on so many Transformers video games.

51 minutes ago, CloudMistDragon said:

Mobile is what's big right now, and Hasbro doesn't have enough confidence in enough bronies banding together to go out and buy a 40-60 dollar game. 

True. They are cheap and can make a good return on investment. Still even a small DS game level game could have been possible to do, and only for a couple of mil max. If one never tries to branch out, they won't ever branch out. Speaking of video games wouldn't a Skylanders type of phyical DLC make sense for a toy maker? Oh well.

5 minutes ago, Splashee said:

Hasbro tried to get into the action while Nintendo was at the top with the NES, and Sega hadn't reached the market in the US yet. It was a gamble, and I think they could have gone quite far. But this is the same time when MLP was born, so who knows!?

If there would have been an MLP game, I really wish it would have been non-3D, and accurate to the show's style. I am not implying it would be Flash based, but the style.

I remember playing a Starship Trooper real time tactics game published by Hasbro Interactive. In some ways I do feel around the millennium people were more ambitious.
I guess the development costs and the usual consolidation of the industry caught up and made things boring. See how the tie-in games died in general.

Yeah, I could imagine some nice platformer that way. 

6 minutes ago, Ganondorf8 said:

It's one of the many actions that Hasbro has never taken and yet they've given the go-ahead on so many Transformers video games.

It shows Hasbro beside putting some maymays into the show never really capitalized on the fandom's peak years.

(edited)
31 minutes ago, Ganondorf8 said:

There's a wider audience more willing to buy Transformers games.

Besides they haven't made one in nearly five years

At worst Hasbro failed to capitalize on making the brony fanbase and make a MLP video game, especially after Wayforward offered to make one. Had it not been for those two I don't think many would have thought much of serious MLP game especially since all they've had were minigame collections in the past

Edited by Megas

9 minutes ago, Megas said:

There's a wider audience more willing to buy Transformers games.

Besides they haven't made one in nearly five years

At worst Hasbro failed to capitalize on making the brony fanbase and make a MLP video game, especially after Wayforward offered to make one. Had it not been for those two I don't think many would have thought much of serious MLP game especially since they've been minigame collections in the past

You could say that Hasbro slipped up big time when it came to underestimating the fandom.

• Brohoof 2

7 minutes ago, Photon Jet said:

Haven't they done that in the past? There was a My Little Pony game on the Game Boy Advance.

Which was based on G3, and like I said was just a poor minigame collection. The only disappointing thing was that it was made by the same people who made Legacy of Goku 2 and Buu's Fury

• Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, Splashee said:

Which reminds me, Hasbro was trying to get into the game industry in the mid 1980's, and they managed to produce one game, and it is one of the best games ever made.... heh. Well it gave me troubles as a kid because it was scary (for a kid, obviously not scary for grown-ups, etc), and Hasbro didn't want anything to do with it. But they were responsible. The game's name is "Night Trap" (still is one of my favorite games of all time).

I’ve heard of Night Trap through a YouTube channel. The clips of it I saw were kinda funny but I like games with real people in it sometimes as opposed to graphics.

Also, if MLP were to make a game, I personally would want it to be an adventure/collection game (but the collection part shouldn’t be required, it should be more of a for fun thing like Star Coins in Mario).

• Brohoof 1

1-Ponies have been always more of a niche

2- legit games cost a lot, and they are high risk

3-the heigh of the fandom, which was the very best opportunity to make a game, is long past

in other words, no legit FIM game :sunny:

They have made a couple mobile games. I have a hard time imagining a little girls' show publishing a full-fledged $30 PC/console game, and nobody is willing to pay even $6 for a licensed mobile game anymore. 

Though I must admit that the idea of a combat- or action-oriented My Little Pony video game isn't something that interests me much; that old Fighting is Magic thing always kinda baffled me, so it's probably for the best that it evolved into something else. But I doubt we'd see the adventure game or visual novel I would like either. 

There is the official mlp gameloft game last I checked they were really greedy with how they monetized it though.

Also Pocket ponies is a thing.

As for fan games there are a lot I could list some if you want?

On 3/9/2020 at 9:45 PM, Dabmanz said:

There is the official mlp gameloft game last I checked they were really greedy with how they monetized it though.

Also Pocket ponies is a thing.

As for fan games there are a lot I could list some if you want?

Yeah, I I’ll advice being too attached with the gameloft game. Pocket Ponies is fun, but my idea of game lie in the line of story and adventure. Whatever genre they do

Funny, because a preview of Them Fighting Herds’ story mode just came and I posted. I was expecting a simple wall of texts or cinema between fights. But it has an upper view JRPG style map. With quests I presume and NPCs to interact. Ponies could definitely use a game like that :mlp_icwudt:

Really sucks that we didn't get a console game.
A game based off of the 2017 movie or something like a hack-and-slash game similar to the Devil May Cry series focusing on the royal sisters would have been cool

In fact I am surprised G4 never gotten a console game honestly.

Edited by nightshroud96

• 3 months later...