Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Hello! For weeks I have been working on a story about ponies, I am still creating the characters and this led me to wonder what makes the personalities of each of the Mane Six different? For example I know that the characters are usually classified by 'extroverts' and 'introverts', Rarity, Rainbow and Pinkie are the first, and Fluttershy, Twilight and Applejack (although I'm not sure about her) are the second, but still within those groups, personalities are different, for example Rarity is what society considers as feminine, and Rainbow what is considered masculine, Pinkie is also feminine but not in the same way that Rarity, in introverts, Fluttershy is considered as femenine, Twilight and Applejack as masculine.

What do you think? What makes their personalities different?

1 hour ago, Jane said:

Hello! For weeks I have been working on a story about ponies, I am still creating the characters and this led me to wonder what makes the personalities of each of the Mane Six different? For example I know that the characters are usually classified by 'extroverts' and 'introverts', Rarity, Rainbow and Pinkie are the first, and Fluttershy, Twilight and Applejack (although I'm not sure about her) are the second, but still within those groups, personalities are different, for example Rarity is what society considers as feminine, and Rainbow what is considered masculine, Pinkie is also feminine but not in the same way that Rarity, in introverts, Fluttershy is considered as femenine, Twilight and Applejack as masculine.

What do you think? What makes their personalities different?

Well you're mostlu right about the extrovert/introvert thing - AJ is neutral in that respect, more or less. And Twilight is neutral gender-wise - perhaps Pinkie too, although a male version would likely be less tolerated bi society.

Besides such qualitative variations, each has a set of aspects that define them as chracters - their tribes and Elements for instance. But not all of these are exclusive - "academic knowledge" being a Twilight thing doesn't mean Raritu can't remember an obscure fact she red in a novel, or Pinkie turn out vo be reallu good at maths. And of course "family" being AJ's thing mostlu hasn't precluded the rest of them from having their parental and sibling relavionships spotlighted from time to time.

• Brohoof 2

I think character is a combination of a person't attitude, predictabilities and values. To find out this, imagine them stuck inside of an elevator.

Defining a character can also be helpful if you can find the central conflict that is inseparable. For example, Pinkie Pie wants to have fun (selfish) but also doesn't want her friends to be disrupted (common courtesy). This central conflict within the characteristics of the character makes episodes like Too Many Pinkie Pies, and we will see those struggles of her many more times. Rarity is greedy but selfless at the same time.

So, trying to find what is the good source of episodes inside the character can also help. Find what they want, why they are going to fail and how they are going to overcome it (that is inherit in their character).

And for classifying the six ponies, I define them by

• 'cats' : Rarity, Fluttershy, Twilight and 'dogs' : Pinkie Pie, Applejack, Rainbow Dash.
  • Extrovert : Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Applejack and introvert : Fluttershy, Twilight.
  • Who wants to be happy : Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie and who wants to be correct : Twilight, Applejack, Rarity.
  • The ones who can enjoy 2001 a Space Odyssey : Rarity, Twilight, Fluttershy and the ones who would rather watch Star Wars : Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Applejack.
Edited by Sepul-Coloratura
  • Brohoof 1