What attracted you to MLP?

Sazama Ichida

To clarify, this topic is not "What got you into MLP?" No, the question of this topic is "What made you keep watching it after you started it?"

As for me, I honestly don't know how to explain it. Something about the show just...attracted me and appealed to me and made me enjoy it and wanna keep watching after I started. It's like there's something in my psyche that I can't explain that the show is somehow like a magnet to or something.

Extremely cute designs and enjoyable animation, charming and likable characters, a fairly interesting world for a kids show and once I got to "Winter Wrap-Up" and beyond, some pretty solid songs. Really I just enjoyed everything about the show, and it took me back to when I was younger and used to watch a lot of cartoons, made me feel like a kid again.

• Brohoof 1

For me it was the overall feel I got from it. The world, the characters, the general vibe - all of it just made me want to stay, probably because it was something I needed at that moment of my life. Also, Fluttershy. NGL, she was a major factor, at least during the first season.

I always get asked that and for the longest time, I couldn’t answer it. :huh: Eventually, it hit me. :pinkie: It’s not just the songs, it’s not just the epic moments, it’s not even the visuals. It’s all the little things and the camaraderie between the six most amazing ponies in Equestria. :adorkable: Every time I see any out of the six, or all of them together, it just makes me smile. :kindness:

Those ponies are always the light on the cloudiest day, the cure to my sadness, the real magic of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. :please: I love them forever. :wub:

b54.png

Edited by TomDaBombMLP

Years ago, my mom had the first tv movie of mlp on vhs.  I used to watch that a lot because it was small cute talking ponies and what child doesn't like talking animals?  I used to watch a lot of mlp when I was younger but after a while, I grew out of it and moved on.  Then, I saw an advert on tv about mlp:fim making it's debut.  I was excited, I remembered loving the show when I was younger and decided to give it a try.  I was watching fim since it came out but after a while, the pastels would get tiring but I still loved the show.  These days, I typically just stay within the fandom for the people, not necessarily the show itself since it got to a point where I could barely watch one episode without being overwhelmed by the colours in the show.  I still love the show, don't get me wrong but I think it's time for me to move on from it.  At least, for a while.  I'll still probably watch the new show whenever it comes out and I'll still make fanart of my oc or play any pony games because I still like those.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is a good question. 

I just became hooked after watching the first couple of episodes. I loved the characters and watching the show just really made my day. No matter what life threw at me all it would take would be for me to watch a few episodes and I’d feel happy/hopeful again. The songs are catchy as well. I do love catchy songs.

This is difficult to explain, but I don't really like MLP in terms of the show itself. What really kept me watching it is the community, to keep track of what y'all were talking about.

I feel like I'm welcome here, and that's why I still watch the show :Rara:

• Brohoof 2

I would say the characters first and foremost as that's what truly attracted me to the show. What kept me though locked in would be having a community that loves it too. So that alongside the fact the show was great is what made it all the more fun. The OGs remember pony hiatus and how important it was to have a thriving community pumping out content to keep you invested. Not to mention the sense of belonging I always felt it had that.

• Brohoof 1

My best friend in 3rd grade had been a huge fan of this show.. She always wanted me to watch it and eventually I budged and did. The first episode I watched was "The Crystal Empire" instantly the first look I was drawn toward it. The colors, and the beautiful art. I just loved it. That was what first drew me to drawing and I wouldn't stop drawing the darn ponies!!!!!! Great fun!

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Luna, honestly.  The first G4 Pony related thing I ever recall seeing was a gif of Luna standing up and blocking out the sun before going cuckoo for coco puffs during Twilight's vision of the past in the S4 opener.  I saw the gif, and I was like, "WHY AM I NOT WATCHING THIS??!  :love:"

• Brohoof 1

On 12/13/2020 at 11:01 PM, Derpy Man said:

Ponies mostly Derpy, even she don't appear so much.

Was nodding along at the reasonable responses to the thread. First Brit I come across says "Ponies" and automatically wins the thread /)

Anyway, as for many people - the show and the fans are the <3 of the attraction. The show continued to be good, with many extremely strong offerings shortly after I joined (I joined late s2) and then a load of movies which outclass most kiddie fare, and the fans continued to be awesome and just very interesting and fun. I suppose it is that mixture of innocent fun + ironic fun that has proved so intoxicating. When I joined I looked up an article about a "New Sincerity" movement which still resonates.

Interesting thing about being a fan is that I don't just enjoy the quality output, but everything with a pony on it is just guaranteed to make me smile D: Not exactly healthy :P Before ponies that only happened to me with Morrisey's music. Interestingly he did once write sassily about a pony:

• Brohoof 2

The first episode alleviated a lot of the questions I had in my mind about the show and encouraged me to continue. I certainly had my reservations, however I did not wrestle with myself very long on whether or not I liked what I saw or if I wanted to keep going. Naturally, the only question that persisted in the back of my mind was "is it okay for me to like this?" Being younger at the time, I hesitated on that but later on came to a peaceful understanding that I ought to be myself regardless of what others think.

Friendship is Magic is such a great show, it was a breath of fresh air for me and brought about such a great sensation of peace and joy whenever I would watch it. That holds true even to this day.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

What got me into FiM was the characters, lore and universe. You can watch any episode from any season of the series and not get tired of it. Even though it’s been around a year and a half since the series ended, it’s already a classic. I still watch a few clips from time to time. 

• Brohoof 1