Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music Your Favourite Christmas Song(s)

Tom Gallagher

I mostly like the really old Christian songs (not the new ones. The new ones are...bad, like pretty much all contemporary Christian music. Sorry.)

I think my favorite altogether is O Come O Come Emmanuel. Its melody is derived from a medieval piece with a different text, which makes it really interesting.

Another I really like is O Come All Ye Faithful

There are tons and tons of these old Christian carols that I adore, though. So many I can't even remember them all to list them all here. lol. I know that Coventry Carol is one I can not fail to mention. John Denver does a beautiful rendition. It is an ancient song, which makes it interesting like O Come O Come Emmanuel (except IIRC Coventry Carol is ancient in its entirety)

For a more modern, secular song, I've always like Merry Christmas, Darling by The Carpenters lol

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 2

I've been partial to Hark the Herald Angels Sing, myself:

It's also hard to beat Wizards in Winter from Trans-Siberian Orchestra!  (I bet more than one poster was wondering how long it'd be before they come up, given how much Christmas music they do...!)

Obligatory "Carol of the Bells" by the Trans Siberian Orchestra

One that's been growing on me lately though is Christmas in Hollis by Run DMC

• Brohoof 1

I have a lot of favorites. Can't go wrong with "White Christmas" by Bing Crosby.

Fun fact: "White Christmas" was so popular that the master got damaged from being pressed too much. Bing had to re-record it and did his best to replicate original version. The one you're hearing on radio stations today is the remake. The original survives from well-preserved second-hand copies like the one above.

Another one I really like is "Santa Claus Is Back in Town". Elvis really belts that one out.

That song is also featured in The Christmas Chronicles, and it's a great cover.

Even though it's not a Christmas song, I've taken a liking to "Little Jack Frost, Get Lost" because of some nasty winters I've had lately.

I like a lot of religious songs as well, but my favorite is "Silent Night". Always makes me feel peaceful no matter who sings it.

• Brohoof 1

This is and will probably always be one of my favorites. It's lot more somber than your typical Christmas music. Hits pretty damn hard.

I also love My Chemical Romance's cover of this song. The song itself is okay, I think it's solely because I love Gerard's voice.

Oh, and how did I forget about Dasher? It basically takes the best things from the last two songs, namely a more somber tone and Gerard's beautiful voice.

• Brohoof 1

I like the songs on It's a Pony Kind of Christmas album, especially the totally original, not based on an already existing Christmas Song, known as "Last Year I Got Coal for Christmas".

58 minutes ago, Will Guide said:

I like the songs on It's a Pony Kind of Christmas album, especially the totally original, not based on an already existing Christmas Song, known as "Last Year I Got Coal for Christmas".

Is this album on YouTube? 

8 hours ago, Will Guide said:

I want to add on that last year I Got Coal for Christmas is officially sung by a character named Pop Fly, who may or may not have been a background pony. The actual voice is Vincent Tong, who voiced Flash Sentry and Rumble in his focused episode

7 hours ago, Jedishy said:

Is this album on YouTube? 

5 hours ago, TomDaBombMLP said:

Yes, it's very easy to find. :twilightcutehat:

Indeed. not only that but back in December 2015, DagaYemar made a series of PMV adapting each of the songs from the 2015 album using footage up to the end of Season 5. (The following is a link to an unlisted playlist I made of DagaYemar's series)

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCBkanW3BfROwKXlKncppPxdQFiUG7M-i

Now since the aforementioned Pop Fly is not really a character with any screen time in the show and Rumble singing a song in Vincent Tong's voice wouldn't exist for a few more years, when DagaYemar would adapt "Last Year I Got Coal", he found a way to remain true to the spirit of a naughty foal singing about becoming a more behaved foal. Using Snips to "sing" the title line and Snails and the Cutie Mark Crusaders to represent their bad behavior last year and their improved behavior this year, I'd say DagaYemar made a very well-fitting adaptation of an original song.

• Brohoof 1